The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive.
    Totally transparent and inexpensive.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by balthazar
    Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive.
    Totally transparent and inexpensive.
    Yes, I have one. But the housing isn't quite gig worthy. It's a copy of a Tim so I'd spend the additional $70 and get a Tim which has a gig worthy housing..

User Info Menu

I was about to say that I've never used an overdrive that didn't color the sound, but then I remembered an Electro Harmonix effect I used back in the 70s (when I was a tiny, tiny child). It's a relatively cheap stomp box, so you won't lose much even if you don't like it.

The LPB-1 sounds just like the guitar and amp, only moreso, or at least it did back in the day. I'm not sure if they changed it since then, but it looks like it may still be the same. You probably won't like it with a solid state amp, but with a nice tube amp it can give just that little bit of edge you want with little or no coloration.

User Info Menu

I sometimes use a Boss OD-3 overdrive. It doesn't actually colour the sound much, it adds a small amount of low end. I used to use it when I had a Roland JC-120. I'd have the gain on the pedal dialled to zero, it just added a small amount of compression to the otherwise super clean sound of the jazz chorus.

The overdrive sound of it is good too, although since getting my Quilter Aviator I haven't really had much need for overdrive pedals. The amp does it so well.

User Info Menu

I can set my xotic rc so the sound is almost the same pedal on or off.

Don't know much about electronics but if an od pedal is a booster does it not have to boost something other than just volume or it would be a volume booster?

Note a fender on 2 sounds very different to a fender on 4. As you increase the volume you seem to increase bass and mids. You need to turn bass down which results in even more mids.