The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 64

User Info Menu

Gorgeous acquisition Rob. Happy you found an archtop that speaks to you. She's stunning. I've always loved the look of the Asian D'Q's! Another big thumbs up for the Bartolini 5J too...big fan here. Being an acoustic I'd install TI Bebop rounds on her...she'll love 'em...more resonate voice than flats...I only prefer flats on archtops with humbuckers. Try 'em out, see what you think. Congrats!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, 2B. I'll be trying a few different strings out over time. I love the feel of flats, but sometimes they can be too flat, so to speak. We shall see. All the finances have gone through, and I pick her up tomorrow

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Many thanks. Can't wait to bring it home.

Rob, from where I'm sitting, that looks like absolute magic !!

Wow !

Congrats !!

User Info Menu

Cheers, Dennis. It looks good from any angle.

User Info Menu

It's now home with me, and, yes, it's the Bartolini 5J installed. Very happy. It sounds good, but can sound better once I get the right strings. Currently it has very thin rounds, and almost no action. I'll be trying various types, flat, round, taped, 11, 12, 13, 14.

As a plus, the guy who sold it me suggested we play together, get some jazz going. Excellent. Win, Win.

It has been quite a week. First I decided I really do miss jazz, after a heavy dose of classical work. Then I got an Ibanez SJ300, but that didn't work out. Then I got heavy flats for my Epiphone 56 Les Paul Pro, and have ordered a Bare Knuckle P90. That might work out. It will be a very electric jazz sound. And now this D'Aquisto stunner, which will be my acoustic jazz box, with Bartolini 5J floater.

Yup, I've no more excuses. Now, what can I play...

User Info Menu

Enjoy it in good health! Bob

User Info Menu

First video, played fingerstyle with TI flats, 13s. I tried various acoustic and round wound strings, but opted for these. I also liked the La Bella tapewounds, but need to get the 14s instead of the 12s.

Work in progress: my arrangement of the head of Stella By Starlight, a new song for me. Recorded acoustically. I forgot to check the levels when recording, and it hardly registered. So I boosted it when editing the video, and it's still quiet. Sounds best with headphones

Need to get a good amp for it, good quality, but only for house playing - I don't gig.

User Info Menu

First video, played fingerstyle with TI flats, 13s. I tried various acoustic and round wound strings, but opted for these. I also liked the La Bella tapewounds, but need to get the 14s instead of the 12s.

Work in progress: my arrangement of the head of Stella By Starlight, a new song for me. Recorded acoustically. I forgot to check the levels when recording, and it hardly registered. So I boosted it when editing the video, and it's still quiet. Sounds best with headphones

Need to get a good amp for it, good quality, but only for house playing - I don't gig.
    Just killin! Great work the guitar sounds "stellar"

User Info Menu

Ha ha. Good one

User Info Menu

It's lunch time over here, and I'm raising my wine glass to salute your new partnership with this beautiful instrument! I hope you'll try a few lines of Jimmy Raney on it for us over on the Raney study group!

User Info Menu

is it - by any chance - serial number 001?

User Info Menu

No.

User Info Menu

That's a beautiful guitar! I have a D'Aquisto Solo made by the Aria custom shop in 2007. Say what you want regarding pressed archtops, but that guitar has really opened up. Plus, the arches both top and back are amazingly deep, and the construction quality is second to none.
    Great guitar! Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Thank you. I'm enjoying it already. Sounds like you got a good one too.

User Info Menu

Great guitar and great pictures. Congrats!

User Info Menu

I've always liked the looks of these...so sleek, elegant. Beautiful. Great pickup, can't wait to hear it (will listen later when not blocked at work)
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 12-17-2015 at 04:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi Rob,

Love it. Beautiful playing. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Chris

User Info Menu

pretty good acoustic tone!!...you make it sound as beautiful as it looks

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I've always liked the looks of these...so sleek, elegant. Beautiful. Great pickup, can't wait to hear it (will listen later when not blocked at work)
    You wont hear it with the pickup today, Jeff, as I recorded the acoustic sound, but I'll get around to it before long. But I don't have a great amp - yet - just a Yamaha THR10.

User Info Menu

Oh man! it sounds like a piano. I have a jazzline, they are great guitars.
    I love your playing

Congrats

User Info Menu

hey rob, take a look at the new fender princeton reverb 68...lovey warm sounding tube amp..with luscious trem and reverb...great home amp, that can do some low-ish volume gigging if ever your desire...

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb Guitar Amplifier | Andertons

cheers

User Info Menu

David, that was nice. Joe Pass usually scares me, but I can imagine almost playing that one.

Ernesto - many thanks for your nice comments!
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 12-18-2015 at 04:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    hey rob, take a look at the new fender princeton reverb 68

cheers
    That looks a possibility. And many thanks for finding a UK stockist for me

User Info Menu

Rob,

NICE guitar and nice playing, man. Great reintroduction into jazz/archtop stuff.

GT

User Info Menu

Thank you, my friend! It's good to be back.