The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 76

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    Jorge, what he said about the cons. of the D'Angelico?
    I would have to hear it again but I believe he said it was hard to make it as warm as he likes. But not sure...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The "D'Angelico" that KR plays is a Made in Japan Vestax D'Angelico.

I hate to say it but I still can't stand his tone.

Why does he talk about the sonic qualities of his guitar when he has one of the most one dimensional sounds?

Honky, flat and with too much sustain, given the dullness of his tone.

Sorry guys I don't get it, He might as well be playing brick (or a tele) for all I care.

User Info Menu

I heard from Masaki Nishimura-san of Walkin Japan. Kurt Rosenwinkel's guitar is a Westville Semi-Hollow Butter. It has a 24.75" scale length and a carved solid spruce top with solid carved maple back, solid maple rim and solid maple neck with an ebony fretboard. It sells for JPY380000.00. Buyer chooses between a hard shell case and a lightweight gigbag. The pickups are hand-wound by Kent Armstrong in the USA. The finish is nitrocellulose lacquer. Shipping is about JPY15000.00 to the USA.

The Westville is expected to go on sale beginning in September 2014.

Contact Nishimura-san, walkin2 AT walkin DOT co DOT jp .
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 08-10-2014 at 06:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Glue an Ovation string anchor system on a carved top...that's a tone enhancer.

Seriously, kudos to KR for taking jazz to the Millenials.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoergeBenson
    I hate to say it but I still can't stand his tone.

Why does he talk about the sonic qualities of his guitar when he has one of the most one dimensional sounds?

Honky, flat and with too much sustain, given the dullness of his tone.

Sorry guys I don't get it, He might as well be playing brick (or a tele) for all I care.
    I think you basically stated your answer in your post. With the Tele remark it sounds to me that you want a more acoustic sound instead of just enjoying his sound for what it is.
    That is really unfair.

He doesn't have my favorite sound, but personally I think his tone sounds great.
    This video is better than the previous one.

Last edited by Melodic Dreamer; 08-10-2014 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

There actually a couple of great guitarists that have an unpleasant tone to my ears, and it's not limited to Jazz either. But while Kurt R.s tone isn't unique it sounds just fine to me. I think there are some players here that just prefer classic Jazz guitar sounds like Wes, Joe Pass, George Benson,etc. And while I love those tones as well, there needs to be room for more contemporary voices as well.
    Last edited by jads57; 08-10-2014 at 08:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I, too, think Kurt's tone is just fine. It is a reasonable, modern interpretation of jazz. Rosenwinkel is a passionate exemplar of a fellow who can take jazz traditions and deliver them to an audience hungry for something beyond the I IV V and minor pentatonics of garage rock. Heck, most of us have been there. Were it not for a Larry Coryell or a Pat Metheny, where would our generation of guitar players be? KR is...oops, that's eight bars.

User Info Menu

it's amazing how much interest there is in Rosenwinkel's gear.

he changes guitars like underwear, perhaps more often even.

User Info Menu

Rosenwinkel has near-rock star status, I think. The younger set follows KR much like my generation followed some of the fusion guys. I seem to remember that much attention was paid to the gear choices of folks like John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola, etc., back in the 1970s by the players emerging out of the rock scene. I was just the right age to have been involved with all that, but I had come out of a "bop-a-billy" background, rather than a straight rock upbringing. So, my thoughts about music and gear interests never quite meshed with the folks in my cohort. I owned a Gretsch, but wanted an L5 (did have a Strat, too, though) when all my friends wanted Les Pauls.

User Info Menu

Yea, I remember when Al D switched to PRS. Some people went bonkers. (And I'll bet Gibson weren't happy either.)

Actually there was an Al D Super 400 model that was started by Gibson, but I don't think it ever really materialized beyond his proto.

User Info Menu

beautiful looking guitar i have to say. Kurt is great, whatever his tone may be, he is a monster player

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Yea, I remember when Al D switched to PRS. Some people went bonkers. (And I'll bet Gibson weren't happy either.)

Actually there was an Al D Super 400 model that was started by Gibson, but I don't think it ever really materialized beyond his proto.
    I'm glad Al D switched to PRS because I never liked Al D. He was always too metrosexual to me back before there was metrosexual. Kiss My Axe was the last straw; even the bad punner in me rolled my eyes.

You've seen the Al D PRS; yeah, right, all colours of the rainbow...Not out of place in Castro.

Here we can see a Rat in his chain. Minute: 0:17

User Info Menu

I suspect Kurt - with his great variety of tones - will be similar to McLaughlin in that he'll continue to experiment. I think his identity is related more to note choices than effects boxes.

User Info Menu

Last I heard he was using an Axe Fx II.

User Info Menu

I saw a post on his forum (or maybe the gear page) where he posted about using the Axe-fx in conjunction with a Kemper profiling amp, effects from the Axe-fx and amp modelling from the Kemper.

So it's likely he's getting his overdrive from there now. However I think he was also using the Rockett Pedals Allan Holdsworth overdrive/booster before he switched over to the modelling rig.

User Info Menu

Have seen a couple of photos and clips from KR's run at Dazzle Jazz in Denver this week - he appears to be using a new Moffa Mithra.

Clip 1: https://vine.co/v/OBZ9u2vuXdM
    Clip 2: https://vine.co/v/OB70XQtU3DJ

User Info Menu

Funny, but some guitarists have one main guitar for a large part of their careers, and others switch guitars when the wind changes direction.

User Info Menu

Just took delivery of a Prototype model guitar built by Westville Guitars from Walkin' Guitars in Shibuya Tokyo, Japan. It's an all maple laminate semi-hollow guitar, Gotoh hardware, custom USA Kent Armstrong pickups and a quality 6-latch hard shell case. Even with extra fees for using PayPal, the cost of the guitar and shipping were very reasonable and delivery was very quick (payment 12/6 and delivery 12/16).

As anticipated the build quality is impeccable and the feel, sound and playability are fantastic. Fairly decent acoustic and resonant sound unplugged and when amped is pretty resistant to feedback (better than my ES-335s). Very satisfied overall with the purchase. My one and only gripe is the weight; the guitar is 9 pounds 12.8 ounces. But now that I've played it, the weight would not have deterred me from purchasing the instrument.

It may considered by some to be "the flavor of the month", but it's a keeper and another superb Japanese guitar!

Kurt Rosenwinkel Guitar Setup-2014004b2640-jpgKurt Rosenwinkel Guitar Setup-2014004b3640-jpgKurt Rosenwinkel Guitar Setup-2014004b4640-jpgKurt Rosenwinkel Guitar Setup-2014004b5640-jpgKurt Rosenwinkel Guitar Setup-2014004b6640-jpg

User Info Menu

9Congrats, Forensbro. There was another prototype with the laminated spruce top. So, why the laminated maple top of the two? I was attracted to the lam. spruce one but no moolah no guitarh.

Does it have a 15" lower bout or 16"? Does it have a solid maple block running down its middle? I'm surprised at the weight of just under 10lbs.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-17-2014 at 02:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Jabberwocky I inquired about the spruce top (both maple and spruce tops were laminate guitars and both the same price), but it was already sold, so I opted for the maple guitar. The solid wood Westville is 100,000 yen more than the laminate (270,000 v 370,000) and none were available. I'll have to get back with you on the width and block.

User Info Menu

Jabberwocky the following is from the Walkin' Guitars site:

Westville Semi Hollow Prototype with Hard Maple Plywood / Spec】
    ・Body Top : Hard Maple Plywood
    ・Body Back : Hard Maple Plywood
    ・Body Sides : Hard Maple Plywood
    Center Block : Hard Maple
    Body Width : 14 3/4"
    ・Neck : 1Piece Solid Hard Maple
    ・Fretboard : Ebony
    ・Scale Length : 24 3/4"
    ・Pickups : USA Kent Armstrong Custom Handmade Humbuckers
    ・Finish : Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    ・100% Handcrafted in Japan

・Price (Japan) : JPY270,000
    ・Original Hard Shell Case : JPY20,000

Payment can be made via Bank wire or PayPal (additional fee charged, nominal) and Masaki Nishimura is great to work with. He responded to all of my emails in a timely manner, let me know when the guitar shipped (sent packaging pictures) and provided an EMS tracking number. Overall an easy purchasing experience and a fantastic guitar!

User Info Menu

I just watched Kurt Rosenwinkel's solo performance streaming on "Live From Our Living Rooms".
    Besides the great an inspirational playing (always), I see he was playing a PRS guitar that I don't recognize. It looks a little like the PRS JA-15 Paul Jackson Jr model but not quite the same. Anybody have any insights?

User Info Menu

It's a custom JA-15 with a trapeze tailpiece.