The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I bought a NOS Ebony pickgard with loose binding. StuMac touts "Titebond III" for binding (looks like regular old white wood glue to me). Any binding re-attachment suggestions would be appreciated, including the glue product you used. It's a pickgard, so I can probably hold it together with rubberbands while it's drying. Pickgard is in transit, so I haven't inspected it yet. Thanks, Jeff

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know my guy who restored so many guitars would use Elmer's or super glue. What do I care it's a pick guard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I know my guy who restored so many guitars would use Elmer's or super glue. What do I care it's a pick guard.
    Hi 2Born,
    I agree, I only want the binding to stay in place. Jeff

User Info Menu

I'd crazy glue it from the back and hit it w/some accelerant if you have it.
    if not just glue and hold in place, make sure none seeps out the front.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'd crazy glue it from the back and hit it w/some accelerant if you have it.
    if not just glue and hold in place, make sure none seeps out the front.

Hi Winter,
    I don't know what accelerant is. Thanks, Jeff

User Info Menu

accelerant is a liquid that you apply after super/crazy glue that makes it set up instantly.
    not really necessary for a small repair

User Info Menu

Woodworker's Cyanoacrylate aka Super Glue would do you well. Use the thin type. ZAP is a popular brand. Aeromodellers have been using ZAP since at least the 1970s. It was wonder stuff way back when.

P.S. I was addled from inadvertently sniffing Humbrol Balsa Cement as a pubescent adolescent. It had the sweetest smell! Volatile Organic Compound but I didn't know any better then.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-13-2015 at 03:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Woodworker's Cyanoacrylate aka Super Glue would do you well. Use the thin type. ZAP is a popular brand. Aeromodellers have been using ZAP since at least the 1970s. It was wonder stuff way back when.

P.S. I was addled from inadvertently sniffing Humbrol Balsa Cement as a pubescent adolescent. It had the sweetest smell! Volatile Organic Compound but I didn't know any better then.
    Did you sniff but not ingest?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

Thanks Jabber! As for getting high, I can legally purchase recreational marijuana here in WA state (if I choose to), and it's not the stuff from the 1970's either (as I've been told).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Thanks Jabber! As for getting high, I can legally purchase recreational marijuana here in WA state (if I choose to), and it's not the stuff from the 1970's either (as I've been told).
    As a point of clarification, I was deep into aeromodelling then, and not sniffing glue to get high. It was a recreational hazard that I was not aware of until later. I learnt to love the smell of glow (nitromethane) fuel too.

User Info Menu

Helios,

Stew-Mac has a good amount of info on it's website about gluing bindings. If it's plastic binding on the ebony, It might be something other than titebond that is recommended: How to Install Bindings | stewmac.com

Anyway, I'm also in the middle of a repair project where I need to jack and glue a loose brace. I had it glued this summer, but it's come loose again. A cross brace under the bridge between the parallel braces. Bit of a challenge, I think, so I might start a thread to solicit input. I had a long discussion with my luthier last night over some beers reviewing a range of various options.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out.

Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColMc
    Did you sniff but not ingest?

Back in the pre-'60's, ( grade school ), all the craft glue was that white kind that came in a jar and was applied with a brush attached to the lid.

Yeah that stuff smelled really good and no I never ate any but that ' older kid they held back for a year ' sure liked it !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    accelerant is a liquid that you apply after super/crazy glue that makes it set up instantly.
    not really necessary for a small repair
    An easy accelerant for Super Glue/ Cyanoacrylate is water .

You use a damp lint free paper towel or cloth and BAM sets almost instantly.
    Careful ESPECIALLY with eyes and also skin.

User Info Menu

Update:
    Ended up using Gorilla glue for the binding on the NOS ebony pickgard. It worked fine. Thanks for all of the input! Jeff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Update:
    Ended up using Gorilla glue for the binding on the NOS ebony pickgard. It worked fine. Thanks for all of the input! Jeff

Hey Helios- your Guitar is a sexy blonde !

Beautiful.

And the pickup selector is on the lower bout ..

User Info Menu

There is an adhesive I've used for guitar repairs called gluboost. It is made for quick dry and does not mess up the finish. It's hard to find since it is made specifically for guitar repair but you can order it direct from their website CA Adhesives & Glue Accompaniments | GluBoost

Before that I used crazy glue for hold and it's fast drying but it can discolor.