The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about a thin bodied laminate archtop with a 25.5" scale length and there just aren't a lot of them, especially for under $1000 US. The Peerless Electra is pretty much a perfect match on the basic specs but I've never seen one even mentioned by anyone who's actually played one. Anyone?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks just like the Epiphone Joe Pass model... isn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Looks just like the Epiphone Joe Pass model... isn't it?
    25.5" scale length, 2" body thickness, filtertron type pickups.

Last edited by Jim Soloway; 11-01-2015 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I haven't but I'm a fan of 25.5" scale in general. I believe the Hofner Verythin's are 25.5", I'm not sure about their fully hollow offerings and that get's into 2K range anyway. A 'lowbrow' offering is the discontinued Schecter Jazz-6, it's a fully hollow thinline with a stop tail and tom and i'm fairly sure is 25.5" scale, they go used for $400-500 or so. If your flexible on the scale, I think the D'Angelico EX-SS is 25"

User Info Menu

I'm a little less enamored with this one, but I can pick it up a used one locally for a pretty good price and it has both the thin laminated hollow body and the 25.5" scale length.
    Attached Images Attached Images Has anyone played a Peerless Electra?-peerless-wizard-39518-jpg Has anyone played a Peerless Electra?-peerless-wizard-1-png 

User Info Menu

Did you know that Peerless has introduced a new 335 clone called "the Hardtail"? I think the price is around $1100. I'm certain that GnJ has them in stock.

User Info Menu

This Wizard Custom is a cool guitar. It is laminated maple and a 17" thinline. If you are OK with that and the P90s the it may be suitable.

Doc
    Last edited by docdosco; 11-02-2015 at 07:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.fred
    Did you know that Peerless has introduced a new 335 clone called "the Hardtail"? I think the price is around $1100. I'm certain that GnJ has them in stock.
    Thanks but it's a semi-hollow with a 24.75" scale length. That's a no on two of my most important criteria. If I could get what I wanted form a 24.75" scale length, there would be all sorts of contenders.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.fred

This is a nice guitar. It is heavy though. I believe it's a short scale if memory serves.....

Doc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco
    This a cool guitar. It is laminated maple and a 17" thinline. If you are OK with that and the P90s the it may be suitable.

Doc
    I'm ok with the body size but I haven't played P90's much since I was 18 (and I'm now 63), so that's a little uncertain but I'm supposed to go try it tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I'm ok with the body size but I haven't played P90's much since I was 18 (and I'm now 63), so that's a little uncertain but I'm supposed to go try it tomorrow.
    I have had half a dozen or so through the years. There are a lot of knobs for the various PUs so you can dial in many different settings. It is a very versatile guitar for a P90 model. You just need to determine if P90s are the way to go for you.

Doc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco
    I have had half a dozen or so through the years. There are a lot of knobs for the various PUs so you can dial in many different settings. It is a very versatile guitar for a P90 model. You just need to determine if P90s are the way to go for you.

Doc
    Thanks Doc. I went to see the Wizard last night and decided to give it a go. It was $650 Canadian (about $495 US) and at that price I figured I didn't have much to lose. I strung it up with some GHS half wounds and played around with some different tuning, eventually ending up tuned down to C# (that's why I like the 25.5" scale length). Just out of habit, I was playing on the neck pickup only. It sounded ok but a bit dull. Then I dialed in just a touch of the middle pickup and it started to come to life. Then I added just a touch of the bridge pickup and suddenly it was damn near addictive. The only time I've ever played this setup was twenty years ago when someone stuck an ES-5 in my hands and I sat in with their band. I had no clue what I was doing with that guitar but now that I'm able to really fiddle with it a bit, I'm seeing just what a power setup this can be.

User Info Menu

Jim,

Congrats on finding a Peerless Wizard Custom at that price. I guess Peerless knew what they doing with 3 P90s. I always liked the feel of the Wizard. Have fun....

Doc Dosco
    Doc Dosco -- Jazz Guitar

User Info Menu

I just thought I'd try again to see if anyone's tried an Electra. It just seems like such a great combination of features.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I just thought I'd try again to see if anyone's tried an Electra. It just seems like such a great combination of features.

I have never played one (Peerless have a lot of models) however I haven't run a across a true ugly dugling in the pond yet.... They did have an red headed step child or two, one called a Deep Blue. The weight was a bit shocking to even me (I had both a black National 3 PU AND an ivory colored Supro as a kid, 2 boat anchors of an electric guitar. Neat as heck though)

Deep Blue: Picture a Wizard as a solid body and add a Bigsby. Ouch. But if you played it dangling from a crane it sounded awesome. No lack of sustain!!! I had one years ago and I sold it to a guy specifically searching for one. He was very happy. A strong, beefy, stout, person no doubt!

Heavens, it's still isted:

News - Peerless Guitars Co Ltd

The Electra:

News - Peerless Guitars Co Ltd

User Info Menu

I've played a Wizard and a double cut Peerless, but the only one I liked was a Maestro (wider neck - big hands). The first two too narrow in the neck for me.

Is the pic of the Electra in a store local to you? There are some tasty amps in that photo, coupla brownface Fenders, one with JBL, a tweed Fender, Gretsch Chet amp, to name but four!
    Last edited by bananafist; 12-07-2015 at 03:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bananafist
    Is the pic of the Electra in a store local to you? There are some tasty amps in that photo, coupla brownface Fenders, one with JBL, a tweed Fender, Gretsch Chet amp, to name but four!
    No. It's in Colorado and after talking to them, they don't actually have the guitar in stock anymore. So the only dealer with any in North America is Lou at Guitars'N Jazz.