The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 71

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow. Thanks. That's great.
    Great fingers. I could watch/listen to that all day just to get inspiration.

Gotta love those SG-2000s too. I can't imagine wanting a different solid-body guitar. But they are heavy.
    Last edited by travisty; 10-23-2015 at 11:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Such clarity at such a speed, wow. What might one do to come close to this?!

User Info Menu

Light touch, probably a medium gauge pick, small relaxed hand movements, PAF style humbucker dialed back from the strings for clarity, 24.75" scale, and great chops/feel/vocabulary.

Get to work!

User Info Menu

What's a good medium gauge pick? I use Dunlop stubbies.

User Info Menu

Fender medium in faux tortoise is readily available and sounds great:

Amazing playing and jazz tone on a solid body guitar-351-jpg

And I'm digging these lately, Wedgie 0.60 mm which is thinner than medium, but with the thumb grip profile it's very expressive and warm:

Amazing playing and jazz tone on a solid body guitar-_35-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Amazing playing and jazz tone on a solid body guitar-351-jpg Amazing playing and jazz tone on a solid body guitar-_35-jpg 

User Info Menu

Jack, I thought it was you wearing a David Foster Halloween costume.
    Great playing. I am in awe. Just the video I needed to see at this point in my development.
    JD

User Info Menu

This was the first video I saw of him playing. Different guitar but stellar playing. Bluesy too, which (when done well) always works for me...

User Info Menu

Very Norman Brown-ish version of a great song. Certainly well done, though I think he could have gone a bit bluesier with some more nuanced vibrato and weighting of the notes in terms of phrasing. But excellent player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by travisty
    Gotta love those SG-2000s too. I can't imagine wanting a different solid-body guitar. But they are heavy.
    That guitar (SG1820) is built very differently from an SG2000 (which has a through-body multi-piece neck, a brass plate under the bridge and a quite complex body architecture) so I guess it should be quite lighter. I have an old SG800S that resembles an SG2000 almost only in regard to its shape, and it's a light guitar.

User Info Menu

The SG1820 appears to be built like a Les Paul. I would think it's quite hefty.

SG1820 | Lineup | SG Series - Yamaha Electric Guitar

User Info Menu

Hi Roger,
    I have for many years used this style pick,and have experimented with the Dugain
    picks etc., but usually defer to the Fender or a similar Gibson small pick. works for
    me.
    btw your recent video of the Slaman PM was just great.

alan

User Info Menu

(Thanks, Alan)

BTW, the video of Sagmeister on the Wes L-5; my eye spies a plain (unwound) G string. They look like 11's or 12's at most. That's also a factor. Heavy strings and a heavy pick do not easily facilitate that kind of nimble articulation, at least not for me.

User Info Menu

This German guitar player is a fine musician. There is a related link to a performance of his from the '90's with Lyle May and Steven Rodby of the Pat Metheny Group with a vibraphonist and drummer that is recorded live. Very nice! Check it out.

User Info Menu

I know Michael-guitar player from Germany.
    I /ve met him in Poland in 2000.
    as I remember he did recording CD with Pat Martino...:-)

User Info Menu

I use the round part of a Fender medium. It has a fatter tone than the point.

User Info Menu

I was wondering about the plain G.

User Info Menu

Michael is a very talented player who's played with several of the greats over the years. He teaches once or twice during the summer at a German guitar camp that is held at various Italian villas. The classes are mostly in German, but frequently feature American players, with styles ranging from classical, to finger style, blues, jazz and rock. It would be a luxury trip, but I've often thought about attending one and dragging my wife along for the sun and food.

Check it out and put it on your bucket list :-)

Gitarre lernen im Urlaub - Toskana & Provence Musik Workshops 2015

Before that however, I'm more serious about attending Brazil Camp in northern California next year. Chico Pinheiro has been there teaching for a few years in a row, one of my heroes. Much more affordable!

California Brazil Camp home

User Info Menu

I like this Guy - nice sense of time and

cool enough phrases that this doesn't turn into the "too smooth" kind of Jazz that is sometimes a bit boring to me...

I really like Norman Brown ..but much more when he is a little funkier , aggressive etc.

This is a very cool Tone from a solidbody...
    Thanks for posting Jack..( I really appreciate your Guitar Reviews also).

I like that Blues that was posted of this same German Player/ Teacher...it had a really cool Time Feel also and a kind of "up"
    feel to it...

Isn't it pretty amazing that if you listen to
    say this Guy, Pat Martino, Norman Brown,
    and George Benson...they are all " in the pocket" time wise but have a slightly different feel in how they swing or Groove when they Solo.....
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 11-10-2015 at 08:56 PM.

User Info Menu

The playing in the fast sections is not very expressive or dynamic, in my opinion. All notes are the same volume, receive the exact same emphasis. Du-du-du-du-du-du-du... It's also unclear what prompts him to switch from playing slow to playing fast. Is it something in the song? The connection with the song is not very strong.

Of course, 'different strokes.. etc'.

User Info Menu

I sure hope i don't step on anyone's toe's by say this But i hope i never sound like that !

He's a good player there's no question ? and some tasty slow playing. but the moment he speeds up !!!
    i dont know... what to say... i don't want to call it awful... cause its very good technique wise. But its just doesn't
    sound musical at all. and completely trapped inside scales and exersizes.... am i wrong? am i missing something here i need not . Sorry. i don't mean to rip anyone. but the moment he picks up tempo....everything was lost!!! everything tasty disappeared?

From my own playing...and im not holding myself up as anything !!! when im out of ideas' on the fret board or...i have to fake my way thru tempos i can Pick , but cannot think musically at that speed. My fingers run around the fret board subconsciously. running through patterns and scales and intervals . This is very easy for me. and many of you as well i bet and to anyone who cant do that.... they would'nt know what i was really doing... and to them, it would sound like im blowing off huge...... but im playing out of my A.. and only i know it. or the players better then me... this is how i felt watching this gentleman play. it really said something about my own playing. and

am i wrong in what i'm seeing happen here ? cause i feel like calling it like it is. love to hear what the well practiced players !!! have to say about this......

P.S again this gentleman's a very good player ! no disrespect intended

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Player
    He's a good player there's no question ? and some tasty slow playing. but the moment he speeds up !!!
    i dont know... what to say... i don't want to call it awful... cause its very good technique wise. But its just doesn't
    sound musical at all. and completely trapped inside scales and exersizes.... am i wrong?
    Yes, you are wrong. He's not playing scales and exercises. I'm not saying this is the best playing on the planet or that it's on the level of Benson or Metheny but it's not scales and exercises.

User Info Menu

His fast playing sounds great....and in pocket.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 11-11-2015 at 02:52 PM.

The player seems to be a good musician, but the backing track is really cheesy. There has to be a law against such backing tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by hans halmackenreuter
    The player seems to be a good musician, but the backing track is really cheesy. There has to be a law against such backing tracks.
    who cares?!? It's just an example. He didn't release it as a commercial recording. This place can't see the forest for the trees. I'm really beginning to think the only function of jazzguitar.be is for photographing your guitar collection on the couch.