The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    While this is the right answer, it's hard to spend enough time with a guitar to really settle in on what you think of it. So you do your best to figure your budget, what's out there, what first hand information you can gather, and hope it works out. Korean D'Angelico's have gone up enough in price where I think the alternatives at that price point (used mostly) would be pretty tempting. Though, in truth, my Excel SS is a very nice guitar (if not terribly resonant) and I would very much like one of their baritone models.
    and that's what sold me. I wanted a baritone. The "D" is an archtop, (one box checked), it has a relatively shorter scale of 26.75 in versus 28 or 30, (box 2), it has P90's (box 3 and they are very good Seymour Duncans). With these features there really wasn't any competition. It fit my needs enough to try it and then it delivered in playability and sound. It cost me the same as an Eastwood baritone I also looked at, also made in Korea.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill View Post
    Since John d'Angelico got sick in about 1960 and died in about 1964, and since his guitars were always artisan-made, they haven't been made in a long, long time.

Apparently the family sold off the rights to the brand name, and the name has been transferred more than once. Like Gibson, Fender, and most (but not all) other guitar makers, the name has little relation to the current ownership of the company. In some cases there's been continuity of manufacturing, in other cases not.

d'Angelico guitars have been made in Asia for some time now. Probably the quality of the brand varied somewhat along the way, sometimes better, sometimes worse. But once John d'A. was out if it, the brand ceased to mean hand-made, artisan guitars.

You should evaluate the guitars in and of themselves, not according to what name is on the headstock.
    I mostly agree, but in fact, the D'Angelico name has been used on hand made artisan archtops since the 1980's (Gibson made at least 2) and I believe that there is a NYC Luthier (Ric McCurdy?) still making a few every year.

So we have:

The 1164 guitars made by John D'Angelico (I own three of these and each is a sublime guitar)

High quality hand made archtops made under license by a variety of luthiers since the 1980's (I own one of these made by ex-Gibson Luthiers and it too is a sublime guitar)

Asian factory guitars made since the 1990's (and perhaps even earlier without the benefit of Brand license) in Japan, Korea, Indonesia and China (I have owned two of the Korean made ones and can report that they were very good electric guitars, but far from exceptional and neither was a keeper for me)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GordonM View Post
    Are they aware that manufacturing today has moved on immensely and the country of origin is no longer an indicator of quality?
    The Chinese made guitars still have a bad rap, and for good reason, according to this review:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GordonM View Post
    Yesterday Rich Severson played a D'Angelico Exel on his livestream show - great music, really great music, from a beautiful instrument and with such a nice tone. He also played an old Gibson L4 - this sounded dull in comparison but of course people with still blather on about the solid top being superior and laminates being cheap and nasty. Do these people dismiss all the fine recordings from Joe Pass and many others because they recorded fabulous music on laminate topped guitars?
    Are they aware that manufacturing today has moved on immensely and the country of origin is no longer an indicator of quality?
    Earlier today Rich Severson posted a video on his website in which he compares two brand new D'Angelico guitars: First up is an Excel Style-B with a DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 followed by an Excel EXL-1 with a Seymour Duncan Johnny Smith Mini-Humbucker.

As for the fact that they are made in Korea IMHO is irrelevant. Whether the factory is in Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, China, Mexico, or the U.S. (D'Angelico currently uses them all depending on the model and target market} it will produce an instrument in accordance with the specifications and materials that are included in their contract; nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure that these new D'Angelico guitars are simply the best guitar that the company can produce to sell at a predetermined MSRP to meet the needs of a predetermined market.

User Info Menu

I think that the Korean made EXL-1 is pretty identical to the Original Excel. When I bought mine several years ago here in Los Angeles we put it up against very Expensive Gibsons and Original D'Angelico's. This test concluded that the Gibsons don't have the power as the New D'Angelico's (of Course I will hated for what I just said and who cares). Acousticly they have more sound and can be used just as an acoustic guitar if you want can't do that with very many Gibson hollow bodies. I remember on a blog like this some guy asked me did you play every Gibson L5 to make that determination I said no but I only played one D'Angelico EXL-1 Ha lol.

I think when you get a new product made in another country and made pretty much they way they use to make them there is a sense to knock it down however ask Bucky Pizzarelli he like the new D'Angelico's and said they were very close if not spot on to what we have today ...........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joebonni View Post
    I think that the Korean made EXL-1 is pretty identical to the Original Excel. When I bought mine several years ago here in Los Angeles we put it up against very Expensive Gibsons and Original D'Angelico's. This test concluded that the Gibsons don't have the power as the New D'Angelico's (of Course I will hated for what I just said and who cares). Acousticly they have more sound and can be used just as an acoustic guitar if you want can't do that with very many Gibson hollow bodies. I remember on a blog like this some guy asked me did you play every Gibson L5 to make that determination I said no but I only played one D'Angelico EXL-1 Ha lol.

I think when you get a new product made in another country and made pretty much they way they use to make them there is a sense to knock it down however ask Bucky Pizzarelli he like the new D'Angelico's and said they were very close if not spot on to what we have today ...........
    The Korean made Excels are not identical to an original Excel at all.The originals were hand carved, solid wood archtops and the Korean made examples are pressed plywood guitars. I own an original Excel (1935) and I owned two of the Korean made examples and IMO, they sounded nothing alike.

And regarding asking Bucky Pizzarelli about this, well we would need a medium to do that, seeing as Bucky passed away some years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    The Korean made Excels are not identical to an original Excel at all.The originals were hand carved, solid wood archtops and the Korean made examples are pressed plywood guitars. I own an original Excel (1935) and I owned two of the Korean made examples and IMO, they sounded nothing alike.

And regarding asking Bucky Pizzarelli about this, well we would need a medium to do that, seeing as Bucky passed away some years ago.
    Actually that's not true a lot except for The New Yorker was made by someone else out of plywood and he just put on the necks....A few months ago, I bought a vintage D'Angelico electric. I've tried to find out as much as I could about them, but not much is written, and there seems to be about as much confusion as fact out there. Most had plywood bodies supplied by United (Premier, Univox and others) or Code (pronounced Co-Day). Most had Fransche/Franz pickups, either white pick-guards, or single-bound tortoise. Hardware varied. Some had "classic" tailpieces, others didn't. Some had New Yorker truss rod covers, others didn't. The necks were 100% Kenmare street John D'Angelico. Most bodies were maple laminated, and a lot were flamed like crazy. Often called G7s, it seems likely that is the notation by the body supplier, and not by D'Angelico. Here are some pics I've collected.

User Info Menu

Actually that's not true a lot except for The New Yorker was made by someone else out of plywood and he just put on the necks....A few months ago, I bought a vintage D'Angelico electric. I've tried to find out as much as I could about them, but not much is written, and there seems to be about as much confusion as fact out there. Most had plywood bodies supplied by United (Premier, Univox and others) or Code (pronounced Co-Day). Most had Fransche/Franz pickups, either white pick-guards, or single-bound tortoise. Hardware varied. Some had "classic" tailpieces, others didn't. Some had New Yorker truss rod covers, others didn't. The necks were 100% Kenmare street John D'Angelico. Most bodies were maple laminated, and a lot were flamed like crazy. Often called G7s, it seems likely that is the notation by the body supplier, and not by D'Angelico. Here are some pics I've collected.
    D'Angelico electrics (the ones where John D'Angelico only made the necks) are NOT Excels. Those guitars were not even recorded in his ledger. The Style A, Style B, Excel and New Yorker models were all solid hand carved guitars, serial numbered and recorded in his ledger. They are nothing like the electric guitar you bought.

Perhaps you should do a little research on these guitars before posting here? You may also want to figure out how to post pictures.......

User Info Menu

You might consider that the audience here consists of a fairly well informed group. The thoughts you express are in conflict not only with what even a basic listening test will tell you (solid carved vs pressed archtop sound) but show that you have the great opportunity ahead of you: learning about archtop guitars. I like D'Angelico Korean guitars for what they are. But I also recognize what they are not. We all get ahead of ourselves. The challenge is finding some humility and embracing new insights based on what we hear from the well informed that have walked the path well before our turn arose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    You might consider that the audience here consists of a fairly well informed group. The thoughts you express are in conflict not only with what even a basic listening test will tell you (solid carved vs pressed archtop sound) but show that you have the great opportunity ahead of you: learning about archtop guitars. I like D'Angelico Korean guitars for what they are. But I also recognize what they are not. We all get ahead of ourselves. The challenge is finding some humility and embracing new insights based on what we hear from the well informed that have walked the path well before our turn arose.
    No no I hear you I just made a point that's all and yes I am very well informed. However I can remember when the ES-175 was the choice of guitar in jazz probably the cheapest made pressed top back and side ever and that ruled the jazz world. So everything has its day right now vintage has been taking hold and as if it was the golden goose right. This in not in a good place price dictates quality also I am not SAYING that D'Angelico is a bad they are great the originals that is. But don't be one of the afraid to say to your ear something might sound as good or better pressed or carved ...........

User Info Menu

Well, an instrument with a lot of acoustic properties is not always what's needed...that's why 175's remain popular. Though a lightly built 50's 175 has a surprising amount of acoustic oomph.

The current D'Angelicos are fine guitars, and decent bang for the buck. But comparing them to the instruments made in a one man shop decades ago is a bit silly.

User Info Menu

You literally copy and pasted my OP from this thread: Vintage D'Angelico electrics (jazzguitar.be) , but somehow seemed to get the facts wrong.

User Info Menu

Oh, c'mon, it's just kind of amusing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Oh, c'mon, it's just kind of amusing.

User Info Menu

You said Gibson made at least two D'As; any information on them? Thanks.

User Info Menu

I've had an EXL-1 for about 7 years now. It's a nice guitar for the money, better than a Korean Epiphone, for example. It superficially LOOKS like an original New Yorker, but that's about it. Plug it in, though, it sounds great, and you'd probably be hard pressed to tell it apart from more expensive guitars.

User Info Menu

Here I forgot one thing maybe I got the one off that was made better than some of the other EXL-1’s. That’s why I bought this guitar it blew out all the other jazz boxes in the shop. This could be a giant factor! So let’s just chalk it up to experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post

I think what joebonni was referencing was these promotinal video's Bucky made for D'angelico
    .Of course Bucky would have sounded good playing a cigarbox guitar,just saying.

User Info Menu

New D’Angelico Tours and Premier line have been have been selling at massive discounts in the UK for a while now. Don’t know if anyone has insight into why that might be - I’m assuming people just weren’t buying them for original MSRP, despite the big marketing push and them being, by all accounts, decent instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Palehorseo View Post
    New D’Angelico Tours and Premier line have been have been selling at massive discounts in the UK for a while now. Don’t know if anyone has insight into why that might be - I’m assuming people just weren’t buying them for original MSRP, despite the big marketing push and them being, by all accounts, decent instruments.
    I just took a Quick Look at prices in the UK and the rest of Europe and the prices seem normal The Tours & Premier is like Squire or Epiphone they are designed to get you into the guitar market in hopes that you buy more expensive.

The other thing and this bugs the hell out me is the inflation and businesses going under and just getting rid of stock because they can't afford to make a living anymore. This is really sad because it always effects musicians and other then arguing about guitar and such LOL musicians as a hole are pretty cool chicks and dudes.