The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

I'm obviously not understanding how that pickup is mounted. I just don't see how raising the pickup would need a bigger hole. The adjustment screws, the ones in the middle, at the point of the pickup ends, should raise or lower the pickup by just turning them, without any need for a spacer or larger hole. But maybe there's something going on there that I can't see.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I'm obviously not understanding how that pickup is mounted. I just don't see how raising the pickup would need a bigger hole. The adjustment screws, the ones in the middle, at the point of the pickup ends, should raise or lower the pickup by just turning them, without any need for a spacer or larger hole. But maybe there's something going on there that I can't see.
    There is. The base of the pickup is enormous (and rectangular) and for it to be higher it needs to go through the hole, which is not big enough for the base to go through. I hope it makes sense now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

OK, I've never seen something designed like that, other than a real CC pickup with the 3 screws in the top. If it can't be raised, it can't. Sorry for any confusion.

User Info Menu

Let me show you the pickup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

This is what an L50 with CC pickup might look like. Since the L50 fingerboard is elevated above the top (rather than glued to the top like a ES-150), the pickup has to be higher to reach the strings. The internal springs and mounting have to take this into account. I used this high pickup position to my advantage by only making the hole in the guitar big enough to fit the oval coil. Therefore the plastic hexagon covers the oval hole. That is different than an ES-150, which has a hexagonal hole in the top.

I don't know if Gibson did it this way when adding the CC pickup to an L50 as I have no pictures, just descriptions of what they might have done.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-150 CC pickup distance from bridge to blade?-img_1105-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cutting that extra piece of fretboard after the 22nd fret is an option, but i don't think i'd do it…with the cc mounted right at boards end, the blade will be close enough..not mathematically perfect but, well close enough...

interesting the loar is louder than the eastman..could it be the strings/set up?

cheers
    No, the Loar LH600, or LH700, or the LH650 each have louder acoustic volume than any of the dozen or so Eastman's I've owned. I've owned 4 Loar's for that very reason. They're canon's, and it's a shame more people here aren't aware of that fact. Best "archtop" under $1k by far.

User Info Menu

you cant compare an original cc with a reissue of that type..the gibson originals with the three screws had huge (but weak) magnets..that extended under the top...(where the screws are!)..they had a huge area of magnet/string interface..which is why they sound as good as they do

these repros. are basically blade pickups...they have a blade and bar magnets below..treat'em the same as any p90 type pickup...the closer the entire pickup is moved to the strings- the brighter, louder with more attack you'll get

xb, from your pics i'd raise the pup a bit higher..but really depends on strings you use and sound you want....but you have room to get closer...trust your ears and fine tune it by raising and lowering pickup till you get tone you like...

cheers

User Info Menu

It must be tricky to get that pickup into the routed hole. Do you have springs or tubing between the lower part which receives the adjustment screws? If so, you could shorten or remove them to gain more upward adjustment. If the base itself is hitting the guitar top and it's still too low, you have a problem. It's not insurmountable, but it's a problem. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Thanks, neatomic and sgosnell , I’ll keep trying. As it is sounds pretty good. It’s got 38 wire, so it’s different even from P90s, but still, I’m sure there’s room for a lot of improvement. The good thing is that the guitar itself is not valuable, so I can try different options and if I get it wrong it won’t be a big loss. Thank you to both of you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro