The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 53 of 53

User Info Menu

I know this is an old conversation, but I just picked up a used Hofner JS Vintage from a member of this forum and absolutely loving it, so I thought I'd post a response in case anyone has a similar question. Being a Jazzica Custom Vintage owner and fan already, I loved the feel, tone and esthetic of this instrument and was thrilled to find a JS in violin varnish. It is bright (in a very pleasant way), but you really can get a dark tone out of it, especially with the right strings and amp. Very different from a 335 - it's an amazing mystery how authentically Hofner got the feel and tone of an archtop (just quieter) in such a thin semi-hollow guitar. I am very impressed and really enjoying this instrument - pretty certain it's one I will not be letting go.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMuzak
    I'm strongly considering buying a hofner Verythin John Stowel model and am wondering if anybody here can give me some input on them?

I I was told that they sound very acoustic and like an archtop, but are more comfortable to play.

Since its maple, spruce, and ebony I expect it to be bright, but how bright...? Can it get dark? My current semi has a midscooped sound that I'm not the biggest fan of.

People who own or have tried one how does it compare with a 335?

On on a different note and very different guitar....if anybody knows where one of the jimmy Bruno prototypes might be for sale I'd be interested...
    Last edited by Aleks Di Roma; 07-25-2022 at 04:52 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here is a pic - Jazzica Custom Vintage & JS Vintage, both made by Thomas Stuhlein in 2004 merely 2 months apart.

Hofner John Stowel Verythin-2004-hofner-jazzica-custom-vintage-hofner-verythin-john-stowell-vintage-jpg

User Info Menu

Hofner John Stowell Very Thin on sale for £2,200 on UK ebay. (It's in better condition than my JS.)

Looks to be in good condition too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116037689918

Hofner John Stowel Verythin-john-stowell-very-thin-png