The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    ...On another note - Earvana makes a compensated nut for supposedly better intonation, anyone try those?
    I put one on my Strat and also one a Seagull acoustic that I recently sold. I know that there is a lot of debate about why they shouldn't work, but to be honest, I really like them. I sold the Seagull to a guitar builder and he was genuinely impressed. I am not considering them for my Martins because they just sound great the way they came from the factory. I recently ordered a Hagstrom HJ800 as my foray into more jazz playing and I may consider changing out the Tusk nut to an Earvana. I didn't really like the Tusk nut that I put on a Tele many years ago. But I will fiddle around with the Hagstrom a while before I decide. Earvanas are easy to install, inexpensive, and don't require any nuanced tuning. Easy to change back if you don't like it as well. Like I said, I really like them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll assume you have a wood bridge? Have you tried a TOM just to help debug it?

User Info Menu

but if you put a capo on first fret so and adjust the bridge (if it is a 6 adjustable saddle bridge) so that that the harmonic on 13th fret (12th from capo) matches the note under it?

maybe you rather want to do it on 2nd or 3rd fret?

Shouldn't tell you if it is a nut issue or not.