The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 397987888990 LastLast
Posts 2,201 to 2,225 of 2249

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    Look at the G&L ASAT Tribute models. My son has my old Bluesboy, and we added a belly cut and swapped out the neck humbucker to a humbucker sized P90 (or H90, I guess). It sounds amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, and keep an eye on Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal Of The Day. They've featured G&L guitars multiple times.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Finally, I am a club member.
    Today has been delivered my Christmas present... a Squier 40th anniversary Telecaster in Satin Vintage Blonde.
    I could open the package and check the guitar, plus a fast test. Everything seems ok, at first glance, no setup is needed. I tweaked the truss rod a bit and plays like butter.
    I was worried about the weight, I read that someone had heavy guitars. My is 7.08 pounds, I think it is quite on the light side.
    It is the first and only steel-string electric guitar I own. I thought for a long time about what kind of guitar to buy and a Tele style is what I ended up with.
    I feel happy with my choice...
    The decision has been promoted also by the fact that several guitarists (Tim Lerch, Julian Lage, Ted Green, Ed Bickert, etc.) whom I fan of, use or have used it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cri75!
    Finally, I am a club member.
    Today has been delivered my Christmas present... a Squier 40th anniversary Telecaster in Satin Vintage Blonde.
    I could open the package and check the guitar, plus a fast test. Everything seems ok, at first glance, no setup is needed. I tweaked the truss rod a bit and plays like butter.
    I was worried about the weight, I read that someone had heavy guitars. My is 7.08 pounds, I think it is quite on the light side.
    It is the first and only steel-string electric guitar I own. I thought for a long time about what kind of guitar to buy and a Tele style is what I ended up with.
    I feel happy with my choice...
    The decision has been promoted also by the fact that several guitarists (Tim Lerch, Julian Lage, Ted Green, Ed Bickert, etc.) whom I fan of, use or have used it.
    Pictures! That's a nice guitar.

User Info Menu

Here is my Warmoth Tele…

Conversion Gibson Scale Neck
    Locking Tuners
    Compensated Nut
    Semi Hollow Mahogany Body
    Seymour Duncan Antiquities
    Variable Treble Bleed

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-aa8f894a-bbbb-441b-91dc-e500f569b054-jpeg

A little bit of Remler…

User Info Menu

Excuse me while I pick my jaw off the floor!! Son, you can play!! I mean...Wow! I wish I could play jazz guitar like that. But, I'm working on it. I'm a 60+ year player but I've only been seriously learning jazz and theory for about a year.

I have been a bluegrass flat picker for the last 13 years or so (I also play bluegrass banjo and mandolin). I've loved and listened to jazz almost all my life. Although I've played in rock bands, on and off, since 1962. But I desperately want to be a really good jazz guitarist.

So, it's time for me to go downstairs and practice. Between Jazz Online and my instructor I'm gradually, but very slowly, becoming a jazz guitar player.

Anyway, you're an inspiration for me. Once again, very nice playing and thanks for your post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Excuse me while I pick my jaw off the floor!! Son, you can play!! I mean...Wow! I wish I could play jazz guitar like that. But, I'm working on it. I'm a 60+ year player but I've only been seriously learning jazz and theory for about a year.

I have been a bluegrass flat picker for the last 13 years or so (I also play bluegrass banjo and mandolin). I've loved and listened to jazz almost all my life. Although I've played in rock bands, on and off, since 1962. But I desperately want to be a really good jazz guitarist.

So, it's time for me to go downstairs and practice. Between Jazz Online and my instructor I'm gradually, but very slowly, becoming a jazz guitar player.

Anyway, you're an inspiration for me. Once again, very nice playing and thanks for your post.
    Thank you very much! Well I can't take much credit really, it's Emily Remler's playing via Tadd Dameron's composition.

We're all on the same journey, the important thing is that we enjoy the ride. Transcribing and learning solos is a great way to help us reach our goals!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Pictures! That's a nice guitar.
    Tomorrow evening I wiill enter officially in possession of it and I will upload some pictures very soon.

User Info Menu

Happy New Year, all!

The is really a PSA for what I consider to be a fine sleeper guitar. I am the happy owner of a new, gold sparkle, front and back bound Squier Paranormal Nashville Stratocaster. It leapt into my hands while visiting my local music shop to pick up some strings. It knew it needed a few minor adjustments, but the feel, the weight, the quality of craftsmanship, and the voice of the guitar captivated me immediately. It had to come home with me.

My point is to share that these recent Paranormal Squires (Jazzmaster XII, Bass VI, Strat-o-sonic, Rascal Bass, Esquire Deluxe, and Nashville Stratocaster) are shockingly good. Last fall I grabbed the Jazzmaster XII and, at Christmas, I brought home this Nashville Strat. As a long time Fender fan, I am impressed with this latest series from Squire. They are very well crafted and use premium woods. Fit and finish is impeccable on the two Paranormals in my possession. The tuners are not the greatest but they work fine. For me the only real weakness has been the pickups (which I changed promptly—Pure Vintage ‘65 JMs in the case of the XII and a set of Duncan La Breas in the Telecaster masquerading as a Stratocaster). The Nashville Strat has a feel, vibe, and tone of a Custom Shop Tele (it’s that good) and at the moment, is my favorite plank guitar and probably the best sounding Tele I’ve had in many years . At around $400, these gems are a steal.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_6500-jpg

It's great that, despite a minor adjustment or two, the overall fit and finish have left a positive impression. Swapping out the pickups to suit your preferences is a common move, and it's excellent that you found the right ones for your taste.

User Info Menu

I can highly recommend both this Squier model and the Seymour Duncan La Brea pickups I put in it. While I was tinkering with the wiring, I flipped the switch and control plate around to the standard Tele orientation—I like the switch where I can reach it (this model comes stock with the rotated control plate mod).

I’ve used lots of different Tele pickups over the years and this Duncan La Brea set has to be one of my all time faves. Nice fat, jazzy but not-too-dark neck and girthy, snappy bridge with plenty of twang when you need it. A great set of pickups that sounds fantastic clean and with gain. Bravo Seymour.

User Info Menu

Can’t find a YouTube version of this so for now it’s Facebook only.

Great video of Al Di Meola practicing his vintage material, and getting ready to tour just months after being taken ill, on a Butterscotch Tele. A very different sound, otherwise it’s all in the fingers.

User Info Menu

I came across this thread over the summer while sorting out my first T-style, a cream white tele from guitarfetish. It was cheap, but after a little TLC, it has become my favorite guitar. I oiled the fretboard, sanded down the finish on the neck, and tweaked the truss rod, and it was good to go. It has guitarfetish humbucking tele-style pickups, and sounds great through my 5 watt Blackstar.
    Fast forward to Christmas, I was out in the big town and was cruising the guitar stores when I came across a Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster. Having never played a baritone before, it caught my eye ... then captured my heart. I walked away that day, but couldn't get it out of my mind. The next day, I ordered one. It needs a setup, which I haven't gotten around to yet, but the build quality and finish is outstanding. I'm looking forward to getting my head around baritone tuning and finding ways to apply it to my musical studies.
    So yeah, I was bitten by the Tele bug, and haven't looked back.

User Info Menu

What are people's thoughts on putting expensive pickups - like the Lollar Charlie Christian's that I'm looking at - onto a cheaper Tele? A guy near me is selling a 2004 Squier Standard series tele for 250€. Says it has a custom bridge, new WHW pickguard (original was mirrored which I don't like anyway) and he installed a Bigsby on it as well! I will try it first of course, to see how it plays.

If it's comfortable to play, the fret board and frets in good shape, tunes well ... what could possibly even make it not sound great with those pickups? I don't want to spend so much on a Fender or some boutique brand right now...

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-squier-telecaster-standard-series-2004-bigsby-style-tremolo-slika-44203517-jpg

This is it, guitar and gigbag for 250€

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9254-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9252-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kunji
    What are people's thoughts on putting expensive pickups - like the Lollar Charlie Christian's that I'm looking at - onto a cheaper Tele? A guy near me is selling a 2004 Squier Standard series tele for 250€. Says it has a custom bridge, new WHW pickguard (original was mirrored which I don't like anyway) and he installed a Bigsby on it as well! I will try it first of course, to see how it plays.

If it's comfortable to play, the fret board and frets in good shape, tunes well ... what could possibly even make it not sound great with those pickups? I don't want to spend so much on a Fender or some boutique brand right now...
    So I ended up not getting it. It played nicely and even sounded ok, but the weight put me off. I guess the bigsby contributed some, but even so it was unpleasant to hold even.

Are there any telecaster models known for being on the lighter side and also good value for money in terms of craftmanship?

The pickups I will take care of later...

User Info Menu

So I ended up not getting it. It played nicely and even sounded ok, but the weight put me off. I guess the bigsby contributed some, but even so it was unpleasant to hold even.

Are there any telecaster models known for being on the lighter side and also good value for money in terms of craftmanship?

The pickups I will take care of later...
    Light? Check out the paulownia body on the Brad Paisley Telecaster: Brad Paisley Road Worn(R) Telecaster(R) | Electric Guitars

Now is that good value? Probably only if you get a deal on a used one.

Silver sparkle -- you didn't mention that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9254-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9252-jpg
    LOVE those knobs

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about getting one of these guitars: I like the looks of the American Performer in vintage white, maple fingerboard and also the American Showcase in Olympic Pearl with rosewood fingerboard.

Any advice? Which would you choose? Any playability differences? Is one considered "better"? I'm new to these. Thank you in advance.

User Info Menu

If you like light Teles, check out the newest American Professional II Telecasters. They are really nicely designed and built. The Butterscotch Blonde, Sienna Burst and Natural finishes have lightweight, roasted pine bodies while the other colors have alder bodies. The pine models cost a little more, but still have street prices around $1,500. A great value for a very good, light-weight, American-made Telecaster.

I recently played a friend’s butterscotch blonde Am Pro II and I loved how it felt and sounded. It’s super resonant, has great pickups, and offers some cool switching options. Since playing it, I have been determined to get one. So, today I drove an hour to the nearest big Fender dealer to buy one. I was disappointed to find none in stock. Evidently they are a top seller right now.

After arriving back home, I ordered one from my favorite dealer. He told me Fender is raising prices again soon so I’m glad I ordered today. In addition to the light weight, other great features include rolled fretboard edges, great deep-C neck profile, and a low profile vintage style bridge with compensated brass saddles with short height adjustment screws (no scratching your hand on tall saddle screws).

I’ll report back once I have it in hand.

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9664-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9666-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9663-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9662-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9665-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9664-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9666-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9663-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9662-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9665-jpg

User Info Menu

Mij teles:

(DIY partscaster)

(Fender Modern Player body with Squier CV neck)

(DIY, 24.75” scale neck)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    If you like light Teles, check out the newest American Professional II Telecasters. They are really nicely designed and built. The Butterscotch Blonde, Sienna Burst and Natural finishes have lightweight, roasted pine bodies while the other colors have alder bodies. The pine models cost a little more, but still have street prices around $1,500. A great value for a very good, light-weight, American-made Telecaster.

I recently played a friend’s butterscotch blonde Am Pro II and I loved how it felt and sounded. It’s super resonant, has great pickups, and offers some cool switching options. Since playing it, I have been determined to get one. So, today I drove an hour to the nearest big Fender dealer to buy one. I was disappointed to find none in stock. Evidently they are a top seller right now.

After arriving back home, I ordered one from my favorite dealer. He told me Fender is raising prices again soon so I’m glad I ordered today. In addition to the light weight, other great features include rolled fretboard edges, great deep-C neck profile, and a low profile vintage style bridge with compensated brass saddles with short height adjustment screws (no scratching your hand on tall saddle screws).

I’ll report back once I have it in hand.
    Thank you for the suggestion, I don't doubt the $1500 is good value for money, but it's still not really close to being a 'budget friendly' price.

I have some expensive gear that I gig with a lot (64 handwired deluxe reverb, yamaha sa2200) so for this I was just looking for something cheap and affordable to experiment with.

Something like the squire tele's, but I don't want them to be unplayable trash still, if I want to slap some expensive pickups on them later.

Does anyone have experience with these;
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-17807434_800-jpg
    Squier 40th Anniv. Tele BLK, costs about €300 new. I get it might need some work done + Lollar Charlie Christian pickups will bring up the price quite a bit, but that's still a long term project, with installments, rather than dishing out $1500 right now.

Are these guitars something to work with?

User Info Menu

I have heard good things about the 40th anniversary Squiers. I have two Squier Paranormal series guitars (Jazzmaster XII and Custom Nashville Stratocaster) and am blown away with the quality. The electronics are fine but can be improved. However, fit, finish, and playability are all top notch.
    Last edited by rolijen; 01-31-2024 at 12:21 PM.

User Info Menu

I just bought this Reverend RG II. What a nice guitar. Strong tele vibe but definitely its own thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_20240211_122843796-1-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_20240211_122804933-jpg