Posts 2,151 to 2,175 of 2249

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Very classy looking!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Very classy looking!
    Thank you! In a way, it's my tribute to Oscar Moore, even though it looks nothing like his.

He had:
    • Gold hardware
    • Maple Neck
    • Gold Scratch plate

Mine Has
    • Gold hardware
    • Maple Neck with rosewood board
    • Parchment scratch plate

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-416e4c3d4dc4402626a0ed3cac6487f2-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_9433-683x1024-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_6415-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_7670-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_7671-jpg

I've thought about getting a gold guard like oscar moore's but this parchment one looks so beautiful with the rest of the guitar.

Check out this other guitar Fender made for a short period. I love gold hardware on fenders.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-3-p7080143_665x1920-jpegTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-6-p7080146_1440x1920-jpeg

User Info Menu

I didn’t know that Oscar Moore played a Tele. Recordings?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I didn’t know that Oscar Moore played a Tele. Recordings?
    I don’t know of any specific recordings, but it’s documented in pictures -

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_1784-png

User Info Menu

You need the ashtray!

User Info Menu

Absolutely! This is what my Tele looks like atm (note the recently inverted control plate):

User Info Menu

Absolutely! This is what my Tele looks like atm (note the recently inverted control plate):

The reversed control plate is a great trick if you do volume swells - I've done it on all of mine since my first in 1969. Of course, you have to switch the volume and tone pot positions too. I've also tried leaving the tone pot forward as a wah wah, which works OK but isn't practical to do with a finger for most wah wah patterns (e.g. funk). A log / audio taper pot works better for this because you don't have to turn it so far to get the effect.

There are a few other tricks you can add. There's space between the pots for one (or two, if you're really dextrous) minitoggles for phase, coil tap etc. Some pots are easier to turn than others, e.g. Bourns are easier to turn than CTS with Alpha somewhere between them. So you can pick the volume pot that suits your needs. I like pots that feel firmer to the touch. But a pot with less resistance to turning makes swells with your little finger a lot easier. The downside is that it's also easier to turn it accidentally without realizing what you've done.

I'v tried push-pull pots on a Tele and I didn't like having the knob sticking out so far. Push-push are better suited if you want to switch coils, phase etc without having to drill the plate.

User Info Menu

My “52-inspired” tele (DIY) is modded with a reversed control plate, 4-way switch (both pu’s in series) and modern wiring with a treble bleed. I love it!

User Info Menu

Matching shirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_7704-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_7703-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_7698-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_7697-jpg

sorry, forum broke the photo rotation. Anyway just took delivery of this yellow one yesterday. It’s all mahogany. Essentially a les Paul special. Neck p90 sounds enormous.

User Info Menu

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv8k1ysqmLq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA ==

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-2023-09-03-130106-jpg

My first and only Telecaster (a Squier Telecaster Sonic in butterscotch blonde).

Arrived today from Sweetwater.

Fret edges are a little bit pointy, could use some sanding, and the intonation isn't completely 100% (but very close).

Came with a set of 0.09s! (!). The neck is finished in satin, which suits me very well. Although the shape of the neck is, I suppose, a shallow C, it's a bit wimpy and thin for me. I do have a set of 11s (just regular roundwounds), just hanging around for some reason, but I don't really feel like changing the strings.

But, considering my only real use for this guitar is for keeping in Open G and playing (copying!) Keith Richards, and also considering I can barely play at all, I'm very happy!

Sounds just fine through my BAM200 --> TOOB Metro 6.5BG as well. No lack of twang!

Haven't put it through the Boss CS-3 compressor yet, to test the limits of my ability to fake chicken pickin, and probably won't bother for a while yet, but I'm happy!

And, yes, even with the super light strings (along with the very low action as it arrived), she can give a mellow tone with the stock pickups that, I suppose, could be suitable for jazz or about any kind of music outside of the traditional Tele "core competencies."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jackalGreen
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-2023-09-03-130106-jpg

My first and only Telecaster (a Squier Telecaster Sonic in butterscotch blonde).

Arrived today from Sweetwater.

Fret edges are a little bit pointy, could use some sanding, and the intonation isn't completely 100% (but very close).

Came with a set of 0.09s! (!). The neck is finished in satin, which suits me very well. Although the shape of the neck is, I suppose, a shallow C, it's a bit wimpy and thin for me. I do have a set of 11s (just regular roundwounds), just hanging around for some reason, but I don't really feel like changing the strings.

But, considering my only real use for this guitar is for keeping in Open G and playing (copying!) Keith Richards, and also considering I can barely play at all, I'm very happy!

Sounds just fine through my BAM200 --> TOOB Metro 6.5BG as well. No lack of twang!

Haven't put it through the Boss CS-3 compressor yet, to test the limits of my ability to fake chicken pickin, and probably won't bother for a while yet, but I'm happy!

And, yes, even with the super light strings (along with the very low action as it arrived), she can give a mellow tone with the stock pickups that, I suppose, could be suitable for jazz or about any kind of music outside of the traditional Tele "core competencies."
    Congratz!! The only thing about those Squiers I don’t like that much - a minor quibble really - is the thick poly finish, but they are an amazing bang for the buck!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    The only thing about those Squiers I don’t like that much - a minor quibble really - is the thick poly finish, but they are an amazing bang for the buck!
    Yeah, the finish on the body is IMHO pretty fugly...an alarmingly thick gloss...it's tempting to try to sandpaper it down to....whatever is "hiding" underneath, but I doubt I'll ever bother with that.

For the price, and that it's essentially a toy for me at this point, I'm just happy it was playable right out of the box after tuning up and plugging in.

/* edit, slight update. I couldn't resist. Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-2023-09-04-133716-jpg

A green kitchen scouring pad attached to a power drill. Well, it took some of the shine off, I didn't do any damage, and didn't go deep at all, just a few minutes at most each on back and top

I don't have an "after" picture, but it would be hard to notice with my camera abilities, pretty sure. There's a bunch of poly dust everywhere now, so it clearly did something!

Plus I got a chance to remove some plastic protective sheets that I didn't notice were there before (pickguard, the bolt assembly by the neck). */

/* editEdit: yeah, those fret edges have to be filed down. Sharp, man! Fortunately, my padre has a bunch of files and stuff and I'm going to help him out move some piles of wood at his place....I can probably cadge a rat-tail file or something and smooth down the edges.

I kind of paid a little bit extra for ordering from Sweetwater, thinking they'd do some additional QC, but no such luck. But at least I get an annoying voice mail message right as rain a few days after each delivery from my "sales rep"...like...OK, dude! It's fine! You know, there's customer service and then there's obsequiousness. Nice personalized touch, but, honestly, I don't really need a corner-man stitching my eye up and wrapping my hands when it's a done deal. */
    Last edited by jackalGreen; 09-05-2023 at 07:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Hello fellow tele players, just want to share my (Ed Bickert inspired) Performer with you. It wasn't my first choice, but the neck felt amazing compared to the maple neck on the vintage white Performer with hum. Was told that feel is the most important, then tone, then looks. Looking forward to learning many songs on this tele!
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20231001_175235-jpg

User Info Menu

Love the color , looking like a player. Here is mine
    speqs:
    Neck Material:Maple.
    Scale Length:25.5"
    Fingerboard Material:Ebony
    Fingerboard Radius:9.5"
    Number of Frets:22
    Body Material:Korina
    Pickups are the Broadcaster set from Haeussel Pickups: Pickups

Handmade by Home - Burretone Guitars - Custom Handcrafted Guitars and Basses

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-175127160_577561240302693_5330296441677908746_n-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-176382331_577561153636035_2011210283172889303_n-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-176918438_577561316969352_1010246315540232017_n-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-176927501_577561286969355_6022767151676448756_n-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-217207079_630506698341480_4075112880307794824_n-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-379133436_1202493224476155_8785362957906635042_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    The reversed control plate is a great trick if you do volume swells - I've done it on all of mine since my first in 1969. Of course, you have to switch the volume and tone pot positions too. I've also tried leaving the tone pot forward as a wah wah, which works OK but isn't practical to do with a finger for most wah wah patterns (e.g. funk). A log / audio taper pot works better for this because you don't have to turn it so far to get the effect.

There are a few other tricks you can add. There's space between the pots for one (or two, if you're really dextrous) minitoggles for phase, coil tap etc. Some pots are easier to turn than others, e.g. Bourns are easier to turn than CTS with Alpha somewhere between them. So you can pick the volume pot that suits your needs. I like pots that feel firmer to the touch. But a pot with less resistance to turning makes swells with your little finger a lot easier. The downside is that it's also easier to turn it accidentally without realizing what you've done.

I'v tried push-pull pots on a Tele and I didn't like having the knob sticking out so far. Push-push are better suited if you want to switch coils, phase etc without having to drill the plate.

My Vintera modified has all this on a S1 switch with help of a 4 way. Wasn't sure I liked it at first but really like it now.

User Info Menu

I have never owned a Telecaster but would like to. I have a 2003 Deluxe Stratocaster, but my other guitars are ES 335s, 175 and a 275. I was thinking about a Telecaster Ultra and liked a used one I recently played. I'm wondering what you guys think re the Ultra vs. the other current Telecaster models. I'm mostly doing blues and jazz/blues gigs.

User Info Menu

If you're not hung up on vintage Tele specs, you might find the neck on the ultra to be more similar to what you're used to with Gibsons... flatter radius and wider nut. Try a few different tele models in a store and see which feels best. They can all do blues/jazz. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Just me, but I would try something cheaper first, like a used Mexican Tele. The noiseless pups on the Ultra are tempting, however.

And you might as well decide first whether you want a single or humbucker in the neck position. Some people may take the "you want a *real* Tele" approach, but there are no wrong answers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blkjazz
    I have never owned a Telecaster but would like to. I have a 2003 Deluxe Stratocaster, but my other guitars are ES 335s, 175 and a 275. I was thinking about a Telecaster Ultra and liked a used one I recently played. I'm wondering what you guys think re the Ultra vs. the other current Telecaster models. I'm mostly doing blues and jazz/blues gigs.
    I have a few teles for sale, right on this forum. Come on down!
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-gib-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_7235-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_7223-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-28-2023 at 11:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LifeOnJazz
    If you're not hung up on vintage Tele specs, you might find the neck on the ultra to be more similar to what you're used to with Gibsons... flatter radius and wider nut. Try a few different tele models in a store and see which feels best. They can all do blues/jazz. Good luck.
    I purchased a Reverend Eastsider T after reviewing specs. I am enjoying it. Features and specs just seemed much better for me compared to current T style guitar choices available from Fender.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blkjazz
    There is absolutely no substitute to just getting your hands on a bunch and trying them out. That may be tough if you are auditioning L-5 Gibson, but every guitar store will have racks of Tele style guitar. No pre-conceived notions. Try a wide range and see what clicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Hi. Has anybody tried a trapeze on a tele, thinline or sold body?

User Info Menu

sure...
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-steve-morse-jpg