The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 85 of 90 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
Posts 2,101 to 2,125 of 2249

User Info Menu

Anyone here playing a Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider T ?

I don't see one close to me that I can go and try.

I do note it has 43mm nut. (I am used to playing guitars with a wider nut, and that looks relatively wide for a tele.)

Pete Anderson Eastsider T Guitar - Reverend Guitars | We know what players want.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Made a trade for this FCS Tele Thinline. Below are the specs. I'll add photos upon arrival in a new thread.
    Limited Edition ‘50s Thinline Tele®, Relic®, Wide Fade 2-Color Sunburst

General
    Color Wide-Fade 2-Color Sunburst
    Country Of Origin US
    Orientation Right-Hand
    Platform Custom Shop Electrics
    Series Custom Limited

Neck
    Fingerboard Material AAA Rosewood (Sorted for Dark)
    Fingerboard Radius 9.5" (241 mm)
    Neck Finish Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Neck Material Rosewood
    Neck Shape 1957 Soft "V"
    Neck Thickness 1st Fret - .880" (22.352 mm), 12th Fret - .990" (25.146 mm)
    Number of Frets 21
    Nut Material Bone
    Nut Width 1.650" (42 mm)
    Position Inlays Vintage Clay Dot
    String Nut Bone
    Truss Rod Vintage-Style Butt Adjust

Body
    Body 2-Piece Select Ash
    Body Finish Lacquer
    Body Material 2-Piece Select Ash
    Body Shape Telecaster®

Hardware
    Bridge '51 Nocaster Bridge with Reverse Angle Center Saddle
    Control Knobs Nocaster® Chrome Relic®
    Hardware Finish Nickel/Chrome Relic®
    Neck Plate 4-Bolt Special "Limited Edition"
    Pickguard 1-Ply Parchment Relic®
    String Trees Vintage-Style Disc
    Strings Nickel Plated Steel (.010-.046 Gauges)
    Switch Tip Early '50s Tele® Black Relic®
    Tuning Machines Vintage-Style

Electronics
    Bridge Pickup Custom Shop Hand-Wound Original Blackguard Tele® Single-Coil
    Controls Master Volume, Greasebucket™ Tone Circuit (Rolls Off Highs without Adding Bass)
    Neck Pickup Custom Shop Hand-Wound "Twisted" Tele®
    Pickup Configuration SS
    Special Electronics Modern Tele® Wiring with Greasebucket Tone Circuit
    Switching 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Anyone here playing a Reverend Pete Anderson Eastsider T ?

I don't see one close to me that I can go and try.

I do note it has 43mm nut. (I am used to playing guitars with a wider nut, and that looks relatively wide for a tele.)

Pete Anderson Eastsider T Guitar - Reverend Guitars | We know what players want.
    If a T-style body holds to the standard Tele specifications, you can always swap the neck. That is the beauty of Leo's design. And companies like Warmoth and USACG are happy to make necks with wider nut widths -- 1 3/4" (44mm) and even 1 7/8" (48mm). This is an option, any way.

User Info Menu

I’m picking up one of these later
    this week
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_3244-jpeg

I don’t know anything about it really ….
    Colombus series 2
    but It feels ok/good

70s or 80s Japanese or Korean
    I believe ….

anyone know anything about these guitars ?
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_3245-jpg 

User Info Menu

just got hold of my first tele
    as posted above
    I put TI 12 guage flats on her

i had trouble getting the bottom
    E string (050) through the tuner’s hole

I bodged it on with a lot of extra
    unnecessary windings
    (not very pretty or clever)

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_3264-jpg

can you advise ?
    should i get new tuners ?
    i don’t want locking tuners
    are Gotohs ok for a tele ?

these are what’s on there
    I believe they’re original
    (copy’s of Scallers ?)
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_3266-jpg

User Info Menu

Those look like copies of Gotoh or Schaller tuners. Probably made by Jin Ho (Korea). If you remove one of the tuners, there are probably markings cast into the inner surface that presses against the back of the headstock. Post a picture!

Gotohs are easy to find with that offset tab. In the past, Schaller only offered that style on an OEM basis, but I believe that they are now available at retail in that style as well.

You can replace yours with better quality drop-in replacement Gotoh or Schaller tuners. I've used both brands extensively. I'd go Gotoh, since thay are as good as Schaller, but without the stupidly high Schaller pricing.

OTOH, if the existing tuners work OK, there's no reason to replace them.

User Info Menu

Really love the feel and ring acoustically. Will plug and play in the morning. Pardon my overindulgence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Those look like copies of Gotoh or Schaller tuners. Probably made by Jin Ho (Korea). If you remove one of the tuners, there are probably markings cast into the inner surface that presses against the back of the headstock. Post a picture!

Gotohs are easy to find with that offset tab. In the past, Schaller only offered that style on an OEM basis, but I believe that they are now available at retail in that style as well.

You can replace yours with better quality drop-in replacement Gotoh or Schaller tuners. I've used both brands extensively. I'd go Gotoh, since thay are as good as Schaller, but without the stupidly high Schaller pricing.

OTOH, if the existing tuners work OK, there's no reason to replace them.
    I've ordered a single Gotoh sg381 tuner which looks right to me
    I'll report back as to whether I can fit a TI jazz flat .053 E string through it

I'm hoping I won't have to enlarge the hole ....
    Arrived in a couple of days

User Info Menu

Update

I cut the red cloth wrap off the 6th string (TI 050 flat)
    And it fit through the tuner hole ok .....

Tuned it up as normal , bent the end over and squeezed it
    and it's absolutely fine now ....

well that was easy in the end ....

User Info Menu

I recently bought one of those Squier 50s Teles as well as a jazzier companion to a Fender Tele with Twisted Tele pickups.

I put in Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups in it as well as locking tuners, compensated brass saddles and CTS / Switchcraft hardware. Maybe not needed but I like to tinker. Also has lock straps and I shielded the interior.

User Info Menu

This one came and went, after a bit of pickup swapping magic. Very cool guitar with a Musikraft short-scale conversion neck:
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_2988-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-shortscale_6508-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-05-2023 at 12:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi Tele people,

I'm in the process of putting an alnico 2 humbucker in the
    Neck position of my Tele
    (and leaving the bridge pub as standard)

Should I change the pots to 500k (also the cap ?)
    whilst I'm in there ?

What would you do ?

I'm mainly after a smooth warm jazz sound from the neck pickup
    (I'm not so bothered about the bridge pub sound)

User Info Menu

(Having now read a few posts on here)

I think I understand that it a won't be a
    dramatic difference but I will get slightly less highs
    if I leave the stock Tele pots in there ....
    (with a humbucker in the neck position)
    That won't be a bad thing (for me)

Am I correct in thinking that ?

User Info Menu

quiet round here ….

anyway here my new parts

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_3312-jpg

User Info Menu

What IS a Telecaster? Is it the body shape? Is it the electronics? Or is it the name Telecaster?

Since I imagine the answer to all of these will be “yes “, I guess I’m asking: What makes a Tele a Tele?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    What IS a Telecaster? Is it the body shape? Is it the electronics? Or is it the name Telecaster?

Since I imagine the answer to all of these will be “yes “, I guess I’m asking: What makes a Tele a Tele?
    Shape, bolt on neck, and a single coil pickup attached to a metal bridge plate.

Everything else is up for grabs.

User Info Menu

I'll add to that. No body contours, no neck heel contours.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    (Having now read a few posts on here)

I think I understand that it a won't be a
    dramatic difference but I will get slightly less highs
    if I leave the stock Tele pots in there ....
    (with a humbucker in the neck position)
    That won't be a bad thing (for me)

Am I correct in thinking that ?
    If you always roll your volume and tone controls back a bit when playing humbucker equipped guitars I doubt if the 250 ohm pots will be a problem. The pickup probably won’t send quite as strong a signal to the amp, but it may have a smoother (more neutral) tone. That’s just a guess.

User Info Menu

250k pots are good for jazz with a humbucker. 500k are not required. It will be a little warmer but still have some bite with them on 10. You can actually go down to 100k for the volume pot (but not the tone) if you want the sound really warm. 250k isn't that extravagant.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 08-07-2023 at 11:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I'll add to that. No body contours, no neck heel contours.
    But why suffer? Fender learned with the Strat. IMO nowadays Teles should all have body contours.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Shape, bolt on neck, and a single coil pickup attached to a metal bridge plate.
    Everything else is up for grabs.
    Well, here's one that recently emerged from my top-secret, underground lab - it has a bolt-on neck and is tele-shaped. Not a Tele, but a Tele-Gib, which seems to be a specific designation for such things. Hooray for Messrs. Beck and Duncan!
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-1-tele-gib_6232-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Well, here's one that recently emerged from my top-secret, underground lab - it has a bolt-on neck and is tele-shaped. Not a Tele, but a Tele-Gib, which seems to be a specific designation for such things. Hooray for Messrs. Beck and Duncan!
    Does it also have a 24.75” scale?

User Info Menu

Nice stuff here folks. Here's my homebrew T-style. Mahogany body with accidental dog-hair finish. Warmoth rose board w/ a 1 11/16" nut width. Harmonic Design Super 90's, Glendale and Gotoh hardware. I originally put an Oak 4-way but replaced it with a 3-way. The series position was not needed for my tastes. Maybe good for over driven tones but noisy. There's a reason that the 3-way in a Telecaster is pretty much iconic. It's a rockin' "Tele" with the Hog body and the "P90" pups but can get some nice jazz tones too. Recently replaced the single ply black pick guard with a 3 ply tort. Headstock decal curtesy of an old Revell "Spitfire" model kit..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    But why suffer? Fender learned with the Strat. IMO nowadays Teles should all have body contours.
    My comment was more about the essence of a Tele. The contours are more of a hybrid, IMHO. Each other feature takes it further away from the essence. Teles with contours (while being nice guitars and useful) are not very close to the essence, IMHO. Also, TBH, I have tried some of those hybrid features like a neck heel contour and didn't like it. Didn't feel like a Tele to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    My comment was more about the essence of a Tele. The contours are more of a hybrid, IMHO. Each other feature takes it further away from the essence. Teles with contours (while being nice guitars and useful) are not very close to the essence, IMHO. Also, TBH, I have tried some of those hybrid features like a neck heel contour and didn't like it. Didn't feel like a Tele to me.
    It definitely seems like a blocky utility is part of the essence. It’s a plank that’s capable of exquisite expression.