Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Posts 1,501 to 1,550 of 1721

User Info Menu

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_2557-jpg

Danocaster about a month old. You can hear it in Days of Wine and Roses thread.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I found this beauty last week in a local shop. It's a Partscaster with what I presume to be a Warmoth neck with beautiful bird's eye fingerboard. The body looks to me to be from a '52 RI or Tele thin skin. It has a very thin nitro finish. The pickups are from Vintage Vibe Guitars/Pete Biltoft. This is the best sounding Tele I have ever played. It has a very vintage sound and feel to it. I think I got a steal!Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-partscaster1-jpgTelecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-partscaster2-jpg

User Info Menu

Very nice

User Info Menu

Here’s my recently acquired Logan Custom with P90s:

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-img_1028-jpg

User Info Menu

I have to chime in here. I have playing for decades, but never had a Tele. I figured (stupidly) they were sort of country chicken scratching and that was it. How wrong and dumb I was. I have a new Nashville Tele and while the noiseless pickups are not ideal, it is by far the most versatile guitar I have ever owned. It really does practically everything and many things very well. Until I buy an jazz box it is my go to for practicing chord melodies and standards. Roll the tone down a bit, there you go.

User Info Menu

Yep, deke, these doggone things will work for just about anything short of a classical guitar recital... and maybe even for that!
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Maybe?

User Info Menu

the great ted greene (rip)

the first of 4 vids

cheers

User Info Menu

My thinline is buried in this thread somewhere, but this is 'new'. I bought a body and paint and had the rest of the parts laying around. Some MIM Fender parts, some mystery parts, and Seymour Duncan 5/2's. Plays and sounds great!
    It's sonic blue. Comes across a bit gray in the photo.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-tele-jpg

User Info Menu

My favorite Telecaster pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben View Post
    My thinline is buried in this thread somewhere, but this is 'new'. I bought a body and paint and had the rest of the parts laying around. Some MIM Fender parts, some mystery parts, and Seymour Duncan 5/2's. Plays and sounds great!
    It's sonic blue. Comes across a bit gray in the photo.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-tele-jpg
    Oooooooh

I'm smitten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Maybe?

O me of little faith!
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

I have a question that I've been wondering for a while now.
    I've never owned a Tele but I've owned an American Strat for many years. As I am more a straight-ahead guy, I am not too crazy about the Jazz sound from my Strat. I like it for other styles though.
    I'd like to see if I can get a Tele jazz sound from my Strat before I invest in a Tele. (Ok here I go, very nervous) Would a Strat with blocked bridge and a Tele style neck pickup sound near indistinguishable from a Tele? Yes, the bridge is different and all but so is the bridge of archtops from Tele's yet Tele's can get close to the electric archtop sound.
    Any thoughts? Which pickup would be best for this purpose?

PS. Technology is great. I can't imagine asking this question at a physical Tele conference and be able to maintain cellular activity for much longer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    I've never owned a Tele but I've owned an American Strat for many years. As I am more a straight-ahead guy, I am not too crazy about the Jazz sound from my Strat. I like it for other styles though.
    I'd like to see if I can get a Tele jazz sound from my Strat before I invest in a Tele. (Ok here I go, very nervous) Would a Strat with blocked bridge and a Tele style neck pickup sound near indistinguishable from a Tele? Yes, the bridge is different and all but so is the bridge of archtops from Tele's yet Tele's can get close to the electric archtop sound.

PS. Technology is great. I can't imagine asking this question at a physical Tele conference and be able to maintain cellular activity for much longer.
    Hi. I guess it would come closer, but I don't think it would sound the same. When I play my strat with the bridge blocked, it still sounds like one 100%. Granted, the pickup contributes a lot, but I think that the way the bridge is made makes quite a difference. I even heard a significant difference between my tele with a 6-saddle bridge and my tele with a 3-saddle. SO you might probably get some of the way there but not really there.

The other thing is that in modding your strat like this, you would lose what is – to many – its key sound, i.e. the strat neck pickup, so good for blues.

It might be worth a try, but it also might end up to be a lose-lose situation.

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd save to get a used classic (or Baja) telecaster for just short of 500$. You'd then have a nice strat and a nice tele, each doing its own sweet thing.

User Info Menu

It's all in the springs with a Strat. That hollow twangy reverb tone.

Put on some flatwounds like Jimmy Vaughn and roll down the tone. That will get you close...

'Twunnk' (that's Strat twanng but with flatwounds!).

But who am I to subvert your desire to purchase a telecaster! Teles can take pickup swaps and electrical tomfoolery without upsetting the set up. Strat trems can be a uniquely problematic thing.

Cheap teles everywhere.
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

User Info Menu

Maybe?

Oh come on. Any old trumpet player can make that tune sound good.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I think a hardtail strat might get you in the ballpark, but not one with a blocked trem. I think that the big back rout and springs affect the tone quite a bit. I am not at all a whammy bar guy, but when I got a strat, I did get one with a trem bridge, because the hardtails I've tried haven't sounded "stratty" enough.

I would see if you can find a super cheap used Squier or something. For a minimal investment you should be able to pick one up and decide if you like it enough to get a good one.

Are you familiar with the "Nashville Tele" configuration? It's a Tele with an added middle position Strat pickup. It's supposed to be good for covering Strat sounds if you need them. Just throwing that out there.
    "I'm opposed to picketing, but I don't know to show it." --Mitch Hedberg

User Info Menu

Turn your back on this thread for 5 seconds and some posts a flipping Strat video.

Also noone needs to cover strat sounds, because strat =bad.

Also I need a Danocaster.

User Info Menu

I may have posted the Cclassicort TC before but heres some other T stuff...

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-bb_iii-3-jpg
    This is their take on a Tele on the vein of the Manson custom Matt Bellamy guitars.
    These have a truss adjustment at the base of the neck.

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-sunset-tc-wbb-jpg
    This is the Sunset TC. A Gibson/Fender hybrid.
    25.5" scale, P90 and Tele bridge Duncan designed pickups. Ash body. What's not to like?
    Cool Bananas.

User Info Menu

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-p1010061-jpg
    Strats good.
    Christian mad.

Jazzy Charlie Christian pickup good.
    Average O/Driven blues licks bad.

Ahwell.

User Info Menu

What in the Lord's name is that abomination?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow View Post
    Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-p1010061-jpg
    Strats good.
    Christian mad.

Jazzy Charlie Christian pickup good.
    Average O/Driven blues licks bad.

Ahwell.
    AAAAAAAAAGH! AAAAAAAAGH!! No sleep for me tonight!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    as per stock lookin teles…get yourself a medium wound p90 styled t- pup for the neck and some 500k pots and you are good to go…smokey as gitanes

cheers
    Why the 500k pots? What would they do?

Thanks

User Info Menu

They allow more treble to be passed through to the amp. 250K pots allow less.

User Info Menu

the 500k pots will allow more highs to come thru...since the neck pup is a p90 design (screws and bar magnets) it doesn't need the 250k pot that the "normal" tele neck pickup (magnetic polepieces and #43 wire) does

the pot change is appropriate for the pickup change

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    What in the Lord's name is that abomination?
    It's an Ultra CC Strat maan.

You can play like- righteous big band metal.

Tunage riffocity such as...

'Swing to Blitzkrieg Bop'
    '7 come 11, The Final Countdown' mash up

Etcetera. ..

User Info Menu

I just played a gig on my Strat. If I were confident about the venue, I would have used an archtop. Otherwise, I typically would have handled the gig with my Telecaster...but I felt like trying the Stratocaster.

It worked well (with TI JS 11s). Into a Polytone it got a nice jazz tone on the neck pickup.

User Info Menu

fender eric johnson thinline strat

cheers

User Info Menu

Hmm...

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-0-sawing-jpg

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-0-wood-jpg
    Jay

'boobadoobadoobaooababop!'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    They allow more treble to be passed through to the amp. 250K pots allow less.
    Ahh-ok, thanks.

User Info Menu

Oh no! Somebody said the S-word in a Tele-topic......

Happy easter everyone!
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    fender eric johnson thinline strat

cheers
    :-(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty View Post

Wow, that looks amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Wow, that looks amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks it did . The finish didn’t work . It fell and took a chunk out of the finish so I had to sand it and start over . O well that’s life .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty View Post
    Thanks it did . The finish didn’t work . It fell and took a chunk out of the finish so I had to sand it and start over . O well that’s life .
    Yes, that guitar should be lovely ! Best of luck until completion and beyond.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Hmm...

Ooooooooohmmmmmmmmm ... boarding again, uh ?

Telecaster love thread, no Archtops allowed-popcorn_nommer-gif

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Hmm...

Species? If you were in North America, I would say tulip polar, but....

An enquiring mind would like to know.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Species? If you were in North America, I would say tulip polar, but....

An enquiring mind would like to know.
    The body is one of our native forest giants down here in NZ, called Kahikatea. It has similar properties to Sitka, so is highly coveted here as a tonewood for soundboards. I think it might make a half-decent tele, as well!
    Jay

User Info Menu

kahikatae... beautiful tree...interesting wood/uses!!

Dacrycarpus dacrydioides - Wikipedia

cheers

User Info Menu

Wow Jehu,

I want to go to “Nuh Zillun” make a guitar from local wood and maybe chase a trout or 20 on my fly rod.

Looks like a superb Tele project.

Been a few years (or more), hope you are well.

Chris

User Info Menu

mine..1984 tokai with flatwounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf View Post
    mine..1984 tokai with flatwounds.

But can you play JAZZ on a Paisley tele? Doesn't it want to go all James Burton of its own accord?

User Info Menu

I just played a gig on my Strat. If I were confident about the venue, I would have used an archtop. Otherwise, I typically would have handled the gig with my Telecaster...but I felt like trying the Stratocaster.

It worked well (with TI JS 11s). Into a Polytone it got a nice jazz tone on the neck pickup.
    What do you mean by 'confident about the venue'? E.g. does it relate to the acoustics of the place (i.e. you wanted to avoid archtop feedback?) or the type of people that go to this place (i.e. archtop would be perceived as if you're playing 'old folk' music????).

User Info Menu

Do flat wound strings on a Tele give you more of a jazzy archtop sound?

Ready to start over

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3 View Post
    Wow Jehu,

I want to go to “Nuh Zillun” make a guitar from local wood and maybe chase a trout or 20 on my fly rod.

Looks like a superb Tele project.

Been a few years (or more), hope you are well.

Chris
    Hey Chris! Yes, well indeed. I'm still playing that first archtop that you helped me with; it hasn't burst into flames (yet) -- I'm sure in no small part because of your input.

I'll let you know how the tele project pans out. It will be a nice change of pace after the 17" monstrosities I've made.
    Jay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Do flat wound strings on a Tele give you more of a jazzy archtop sound?
    i love flats on tele...definitely get more thunk....and a great vintage sound...teles came from the factory with flats thru the mid 60's!!

a tele by design tho will never have that same warm openness of a well recorded, good sounding spruce archtop...close proximity of strings to solid body give tele a unique tone....

but that can be good!!

great for western swing!!

give it a try!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I forgot that flats were the standard strings in the 50's when the Tele and the Strat came out. Inherited that from the jazz players I guess.

Gonna try some flat wounds next string set I get. BTW-shortly after writing my first post in this thread I saw in a video on youtube that Jimmie Vaughn plays with flat wound strings. Hmm...

User Info Menu

Hi Doug, as neatomic says it's a nice jazzy sound, but it does not turn your tele into an archtop. To my ears, the "sound wave" is all different: the attack is different, and there is more sustain. This does not go away with flats on. But as neatomic also pointed out, while not the sound of an archtop, it's a GREAT jazz sound!
    Last edited by radiofm74; 04-05-2018 at 04:24 AM.