The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 90 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 2249

User Info Menu

Ok I did it, got the new neck for my partcaster, and had to be maple fretboard, that I always tried to avoid! But... D-shape profile, it's the one that absolutely perfect for me, I had to sacrifice the look a little bit.

Next stop- new pickups. Mini humbucker in the neck, and not sure what in the bridge... Or maybe just get TV Jones filters for both?

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-new-neck-2-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-new-neck-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

hep, unless you really require humbucking pups, tv jones has just issued tele style pickups (no rerouting)...built around his classic gretsch thinking..check'em

https://store.tvjones.com/tv-jones-t...ckups-c17.aspx

other consideration might be cc type neck pup ala vv or lollar

unless humbuck is a main issue..then mini humb is classic old school solution..every early 70's modded tel had neck mini humbucker..it was the thing

cheers

User Info Menu

Gretsch pickup in a perfectly good tele is like ketchup on a hot dog.

I don't get why people gotta mod their damn tele pickups so much? Why mess with perfection?

User Info Menu

perfection isn't all its cracked up to be!

btw, i like mustard on my pommes frites/french fries

haha

cheers

User Info Menu

no foul...tele with filtertrons is the cabronita line..very popular line for fender/squier

cheers

User Info Menu

Anyone playing a Cabronita? I always wondered how those Filtertron PUs sound in a Telly, they are not expensive at all, here in Europe around 600 euros

User Info Menu

Talking about non Fender Teles, any one tried one of these?

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-vintage-reissued-series-tm-v72ftb-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-vintage-reissued-series-tm-v72hftb-jpg
    Nice....

User Info Menu

A Filtertron in the neck has been tempting me for a long while. Thinking about a Lollar-tron or TV Jones in a Bluesboy.
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 03-17-2016 at 11:59 AM.

User Info Menu

If I put mini humbucker in the neck, what is a good match for bridge pup?

Btw, I love the tone of my current 52' RI pickups, but I dunno about other places, but NYC and single coils is not a good match. I play this regular brunch blues gig in a downtown restaurant, and the hum is unbearable there, it's a trio situation with no drums, so it bothers everybody really.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eigenbart
    Anyone playing a Cabronita? I always wondered how those Filtertron PUs sound in a Telly, they are not expensive at all, here in Europe around 600 euros
    I have been planning a bit Cabronita-styled partscaster with bright red double binded mahogany body, filtertrons, trapeze tailpiece, archtop bridge and maple neck with rosewood board. Just waiting for the building fever (... and maybe financing it.)

Someone would say that those specs are almost from this beauty:

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-billybo-jpg

I would answer that yes they are!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive

Btw, I love the tone of my current 52' RI pickups, but I dunno about other places, but NYC and single coils is not a good match. I play this regular brunch blues gig in a downtown restaurant, and the hum is unbearable there, it's a trio situation with no drums, so it bothers everybody really.
    Maybe you should replace them with DiMarzio Area T pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive

mini humbucker is gonna be a bit brighter with stock 250k tele pots...tho they usually match up pretty well with a standard tele lead pup volume wise...might have to fool with pup height a bit..

but if you want complete humbucking and still not lose tele bridge plate look...there are plenty of stock sized tele bridge humbucking pickups..either with screws or blades...if you go this way with mini hum and humbucking tele bridge pup, then you should probably use 500k tone and volume pots...

ps-duncan little 59 is nice humbucking tele bridge pup

cheers

User Info Menu

^^^ looks like the tailfins on a late 50s car, hehe cool man.

User Info Menu

Wow what a difference a neck makes! Just played my weekly blues brunch gig, and couldn't believe how the tone of my tele with the new neck changed! Every note was singing, it was like no matter what I played, it sounded great! Real authentic blues sound. I haven't had that feeling in a while, usually I have to work hard to make anything sound good. Fender maple necks rule (I had B.Hefner neck before)! I'm changing my mind about 'it's all in the fingers' philosophy hahaha.

User Info Menu

cool!! fender maple necks have snap...as i've said before, there's a reason why all those great country twangers from jimmy bryant to james burton to don rich to clarence white to bill kirchen used 'em...rosewoods are different..i like'm both..but not the same at all!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-20-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: ad-

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-346471-jpg
    This^^, the FGN Iliad is available on Thomann (big German online retailer) for less than 700 euros, made in Japan, no case but a gig bag. It looks seriously well made from the pictures. Anyone familiar with those?

User Info Menu

Did I post this up earlier? Dunno. But I'll post up again (coz it looks cool).

Burns Sonic

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-6_large-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-1_large-jpg

Anyone seen one in the flesh? hard to find....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cool!! fender maple necks have snap...as i've said before, there's a reason why all those great country twangers from jimmy bryant to james burton to don rich to clarence white to bill kirchen used 'em...rosewoods are different..i like'm both..but not the same at all!!

cheers

You can't hear the difference between a rosewood and a maple fretboard...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeH
    You can't hear the difference between a rosewood and a maple fretboard...
    Hmmm. Actually most people can hear a difference. Rosewood fingerboards, traditionally unsealed, on Strats and Teles are more mellow sounding than maple sealed in polyurethane.

User Info Menu

Got a Cabronita Still exploring their possibilities but I'm quite surprised with those Fidelitron PUs, they are very clear and very responsive to picking dynamics. Already ordered a new bridge since the one that comes with those guitars doesn't align properly the strings over the pickup poles. I'll tell you more when I change the bridge and also the strings, 0.9 is not the best string gauge for playing Jazz
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-file-27-03-16-19-47-17-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Bill
    Hmmm. Actually most people can hear a difference.

Nope, not true.

So now you are talking about a difference between a Tele and a Strat? Well, that is a different thing.

User Info Menu

Nope, not true.

So now you are talking about a difference between a Tele and a Strat? Well, that is a different thing.
    You sound like you know what you are talking about. Please, do tell us more! I thought I heard the difference, but you convinced me- i didn't! Either that or im an alien.

User Info Menu

Nope, not true.

If you cannot hear the difference between a sealed maple neck/fingerboard Tele and and a Tele with a rosewood fingerboard you are being robbed of suptleties of music. Too bad.

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0138-jpg
    Not trying to ruffle any purists, but this is essentially a telecaster. A 2000 year model Reverend Slingshot. I did buy a tele somewhere around '08 or so, but it hadn't the intrinsic sustain of this guitar. And many guitars have come and gone while I've had this one. It, solely, remains. If too off topic, I'll happily remove it. iPhone photo, detail a bit wanting,,,,,I 'do' love teles, if not too heavy, and even better, an Esquier.
    New, improved photo. Still claim my right to a cluttered room, as a Jazz Guitarist.

PS, Joe Naylor uses 500K pots on both the volume and tone, and the P90s are detuned(power wise) just a bit, the reasoning I read being that it makes the amp do 'all the work' resulting in a more musical sounding instrument. I can testify to its sound. Love this guitar.
    Last edited by guitarbard; 04-19-2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: addition to post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Bill
    If you cannot hear the difference between a sealed maple neck/fingerboard Tele and and a Tele with a rosewood fingerboard you are being robbed of suptleties of music. Too bad.
    And if you think you can you're buying into confirmation bias.