The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Isn't this the guitar that Gene Bertoncini plays?
    Yes, Jim...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtr76
    Ive been on a Earl Klugh kick for the last year or so
    Glad to see Klugh getting some love here at the JGF. Nightsongs is one of my all-time favorite albums. He plays such a gorgeous arrangement of Ain't Misbehavin.

I think this was certainly one of the first jazz guitar recordings I heard with ears that were able to listen closely and become enchanted by complex, sophisticated harmony. Guitar Player had an interview of Klugh soon after that album came out, and it included a transcription of Klugh's version. I still have that issue tucked away somewhere....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Isn't this the guitar that Gene Bertoncini plays?
    I have played Gene's about 6-7 years ago; I think he actually has had two. The one I played was had a repaired chunk in the top, which happened when he was on his way to the airport and the guitar fell out of the case, striking the ground and knocking a section out of the top below the bridge. He had no time so he put everything back in the case, flew to the gig, taped the piece of top back onto the guitar and played the tour. He had it fixed when he got home and said it sounded better than it did before. I've seen pictures of him playing another Buscarino with a non-cracked top since then.

It is a remarkable guitar from the tuners on down. The tuners were the most precise and accurate feeling classical tuners I have ever used. The neck was relatively thin and almost electric guitar-ish rather than being a full classical feeling neck, but full width (maybe 50 mm instead of 52). The tone was more mid focused than most classical guitars which suits jazz and bossa nova very well. I did not sound as good as he- apparently, much to my dismay, the tone is not in the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtr76
    Ive been on a Earl Klugh kick for the last year or so and have been considering The Buscarino nylon string.

Does anyone have experience with this model?

If you do please let me know what you think.

I have seen the videos Sound Pure put on youtube and I like the sound but the video is never the same as in person.

Thanks in advance

I have owned a Cabaret for about 5 years now. Mine has a lattice braced, Carpathian Spruce top and Honduran Rosewood back and sides, a 25.5” (648 mm) scale length and a 1.9375” (49.2 mm) nut width.

Gene’s guitar is older and I believe is fan braced and has a Barbera Soloist transducer pickup for amplified playing. John moved away from fan bracing to lattice bracing and also enlarged the body of the Cabaret 7-10 years ago (hence now called a Grand Cabaret). The Cabaret is a unique instrument combining a 12 fret classical guitar with a carved back like an archtop. It has a cutaway for easier upper fretboard access, a 12 hole bridge to adjust string down pressure on the saddle, some radius to the fretboard, an adjustable truss rod and a narrower nut (most classical guitars are > 52 mm).

While John is known best as an archtop luthier who trained under Bob Benedetto in the early 1980s, prior to that, he spent time apprenticing for Augie LoPrinzi learning classical guitar construction. John also studied classical guitar playing in his youth.

The result is an extremely playable, balanced, projective instrument with a beautiful timbre. The interaction of the top with the back is different (more reflective than sympathetically interactive) than a traditional, ladder braced classical guitar. What you gain in attack, projection and mid-trebles you lose in bass, and perhaps overall responsiveness to touch. For my clumsy right hand this just fine. I own a fine luthier made classical guitar as well and pick up my Cabaret 8 times out of 10 to play it over my classical because it is more fun to play jazz tunes with. It is my favorite nylon string for these reasons. I can never tell anything from video demos other than perhaps the skill of the player and whether I enjoyed there playing. The timbral subtitles and feel of a guitar unfortunately cannot be assessed in my opinion.

Hope that helps...

User Info Menu

Want some unsolicited advice? Of course the Buscarino is fabulous. But if you are unfamiliar with nylon/classical/crossover guitars, I would buy something much less expensive, used, to see if it's really your thing. There are many more less expensive options out there. Of course if cost is no concern to you, and you know how nylon guitars play, then go for it.

User Info Menu

John's a pretty amazing guy. Craftman with superb skills in a wide range of guitar types, technical innovator who's designed a couple of cabs from the ground up including a concentric speaker and custom crossover. A lot of talent for one man.