The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

I think that sounds very nice and very much like an 'acoustic' archtop. Assuming it opens up that has great promise.

I would love to be able to make something like that and have it sound like that when I'm done.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi folks,
    Very bad news,I am very disappointed,
    Since yesterday Jehu has already stopped taking orders for guitars
    His building book is already over-full for the next 25 years and more ......

Black Nasdaq day, the listing of the shares of all major guitar builders company has collapses .

Christophe

User Info Menu

Sounds very promising !

User Info Menu

Sounds very nice! If you cannot have someone play for you while you listen from in front of the guitar to get a good sense of how it projects, play the guitar 1 to 2 metres in front of the corner of a room, facing the intersection of the walls. Congrats again to the bullder and his father!

User Info Menu

Very nice classic acoustic arch-top tone. I think you will find that the tulip will age well, it already sounds good and will only get better. Ya done good, kid!

User Info Menu

Great stuff Jehu. She's sounds vintage! You're father will love her. Now how about starting the next one? A cutaway???

User Info Menu

Man that is one beautiful guitar!!! You are very talented!!!!

User Info Menu

beautiful. i also learned something:

i've been silently scheming in my mind about how I can edge my son into falling in love with jazz guitar ever since he was born 7 months ago. i never considered that i should be planting seeds of passion for building beautiful guitars...............................for me.

again, VERY nice work

User Info Menu

Wow, beautifully done.

I particularly like the "3-dimensionality" of the truss rod cover. It's a little thing like this that makes a handmade instrument stand out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    I particularly like the "3-dimensionality" of the truss rod cover.
    Heh... The truth is that I didn't set the truss rod quite deep enough, so the end protrudes just a hair beyond the plane of the headstock... just enough that a truss rod cover doesn't quite sit flush. So I went with a thicker, shaped cover with a recess on the back side to accommodate that nut. Lemons into lemonade!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Great stuff Jehu. She's sounds vintage! You're father will love her. Now how about starting the next one? A cutaway???
    Way ahead of you, my man!

Another Jehu Original!-2015-08-27-09-45-11-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu

Nice!

Is the cutaway a 16"? Please tell us about it!

User Info Menu

No, they're actually the same size, I think that's just camera trickery.

More than you ever needed to know can be found in the build thread for that guitar:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...70-begins.html

... and the NGD thread:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...-original.html

User Info Menu

> Wow! That was fast. Way better too.Very nice.

User Info Menu

Heh... The truth is that I didn't set the truss rod quite deep enough, so the end protrudes just a hair beyond the plane of the headstock... just enough that a truss rod cover doesn't quite sit flush. So I went with a thicker, shaped cover with a recess on the back side to accommodate that nut. Lemons into lemonade!

Hush....you're not supposed to be telling us this...In fact, I've almost forgotten it already.

User Info Menu

Lovely!

User Info Menu

Actually the "error" with the truss rod might just make access to the truss rod for adjustment a bit more convenient. I"m always fumbling and feeling for getting the adjustment wrench seated correctly, and a deep-set trust rod also gives the wrench limited movement unless you have one of the long-handled types.

So it's not a mistake, it's a feature!

User Info Menu

Good point, L-S. My guitars have no shortage of "features"!

User Info Menu

Jehu,
    Thanks for sharing this build with us - the woods are beautiful and I'm sure you Dad will cherish it forever.
    Last edited by QAman; 12-24-2015 at 07:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm intrigued by your ability to pick up serendipitous wood for your projects. Do you anticipate any problems long-term related to how much or how little the wood was dried?

User Info Menu

Too much really isn't an issue... the more the better. Happily, all of the recycled/repurposed wood I've used has been well-seasoned. I'm not sure when the cedar I'm currently using was cut, but the previous owner had it in dry storage for at least six or seven years. The Kauri I used on my previous build had been drying for over a century. All of the rest comes from a wood dealer that I trust, and who knows how to properly dry wood (though kiln- rather than air-dried).

A bigger issue is the fact that I build in a humid Northern NZ climate. Not an issue if the guitar is staying local, but perhaps if it lives in other locales. #2 is currently experiencing her first Canadian Winter (sort of), so we'll see how she holds up in the coming years.