The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    The pro-35 is $150 with gooseneck and power module; I think that a DPA would be triple that.

Figured out another way to mount it. The gooseneck has a couple of rubber pieces on it that have (hard to see) slits that allow you to attach the gooseneck to the the tailpiece:

Attachment 69567
    But aren't those slits supposed to be for the cable? Where does your cable go?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    But aren't those slits supposed to be for the cable? Where does your cable go?
    Not sure I understand the question; as you can see in the photo, I just run it under the pickguard.

User Info Menu

What if you want to get the xlr out into a /4" jack? I read that the impedance matching can be a problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Sure sounds good - and you saved me from asking about this mic

Which mount do you use? I see on the Thomann site that the mic itself comes with a set of rubber grommits; would they allow a similar trick as in nopedal's post above? Or would the cello mount be a safer bet for a Loar archtop?
    I have bought the guitar mount, but I actually dislike it. The way it's supposed to clamp on the guitar does not work well on an archtop, and besides that it's kinda flimsy.
    I don't know if the way I mount it will work on a Loar, but this is what I do:
    My eastman has a tailpiece with an ebony overlay, so there's a tiny gap between the strings and that overlay. I just push the gooseneck into that gap and it kinda clamps itself into place there.
    Here's a pic:
    Goose neck condenser for archtop-16463165767566140686075580552676-jpg

Mounted like that the mic is pretty well secured, and I also like the fact, that it's kinda stealthy.

I can't say anything to the other mounting options though.
    Hope I could help you though.

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    I have bought the guitar mount, but I actually dislike it. The way it's supposed to clamp on the guitar does not work well on an archtop, and besides that it's kinda flimsy.
    I don't know if the way I mount it will work on a Loar, but this is what I do:
    My eastman has a tailpiece with an ebony overlay, so there's a tiny gap between the strings and that overlay. I just push the gooseneck into that gap and it kinda clamps itself into place there.
    Here's a pic:
    Goose neck condenser for archtop-16463165767566140686075580552676-jpg

Mounted like that the mic is pretty well secured, and I also like the fact, that it's kinda stealthy.

I can't say anything to the other mounting options though.
    Hope I could help you though.

Paul
    That looks great, I'm going to try it on m my own Eastman. Did you remove the clamp?

User Info Menu

That looks great, I'm going to try it on m my own Eastman. Did you remove the clamp?
    I think the t.bone Ovid I'm using doesn't have the clamp you mention, but I guess you'll have to remove it to mount another mic like that.

Paul

User Info Menu

Here's what I did on the Sadowsky. The tailpiece is very close to the body and you really have to force the clamp between the two and I was worried about damaging either. So I clamp it to the e string, and then add a simple twist tie to the d string. Because it's secured at two points it's very solid.

Goose neck condenser for archtop-mic-clip1-jpg
    Goose neck condenser for archtop-mic-clip2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    I think the t.bone Ovid I'm using doesn't have the clamp you mention
    Ah I see.

User Info Menu

over the years i have tried several clip mics also for recording, but found their sound to be inferior to my Schoeps MK4. Only trouble with the MK4 is that it mounts on stand (only), and therefore it's impossible to keep a consistent close range distance from the top, which results in sound inconsistencies. I hear so much good about the DPA4099 that i start wondering if it could be a match to the quality oft the Schoeps. Would anyone know both of them? How do they compare soundwise?

User Info Menu

What if you want to get the xlr out into a /4" jack? I read that the impedance matching can be a problem.
    It is a condenser mike that requires phantom power. It comes with a "power module" that I don't think it works without. I go straight from the mike to the power module into a combo jack on my Henrickson Bud.

User Info Menu

Just been looking into these for my YouTube video series. Wanted to mix some acoustic tone with amplified tone.
    I don't really want to have to sit perfectly in front of a standard mic and I don't think you need perfect acoustic tone when mixing it with amplified.

After doing a days research I bought the ATM350 with the piano mount because it was the only one available lol.

I'll see how it works out.

Of course if a used DPA 4099 comes up, I'll buy it in a heart beat.

Sound on Sound is an excellent site to read reviews on audio gear; they rate the mic reasonably highly compared to a DPA at twice the price.

Audio-Technica ATM350a

User Info Menu

Goose neck condenser for archtop-70b7ea97-7950-40dd-861c-5a4223a79e15-jpeg

the cello mount looks looks like it could
    work for archtop geetar

User Info Menu

Something new from Neumann:

Neumann Miniature Clip Mic MCM System – True Neumann sound for close miking acoustic instruments in live applications.
    NEUMANN
    Attached Images Attached Images Goose neck condenser for archtop-product_detail_x1_tablet_kk-14-sh-150_neumann-miniature-clip-mic-system_m-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Something new from Neumann:

Neumann Miniature Clip Mic MCM System – True Neumann sound for close miking acoustic instruments in live applications.
    NEUMANN
    Well that's upsetting. Now I have to go and look at it and try and stop myself from buying it.

Thanks Hammer.

User Info Menu

Priced in the same ballpark as the DPA... very interesting.
    We'll have to see what they sound like when they're actually released.

User Info Menu

After about 10 years of heavy use the flimsy cable of my t.bone Ovid finally failed. I replaced it with the new version, which luckily features a removable cable.

I was able to salvage the old microphone though. I hate fixed wires on anything, because they will break eventually. So i replaced the wire with 3,5mm headphone jacks on the microphone and the 48V Adapter. Now i can just use any 3,5mm cable, and switch it out if it should break.

Paul