The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 93

User Info Menu

What's a good price?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've seen two as low as $2700. But most I've seen are in the middle 3 range.

User Info Menu

The GC in villa park IL had one for a loooong time at $3700. Late 90's model. Thought it was priced high...it sold though, not sure for what.

It was a badass guitar. I played it a few times. Thunk out the wazoo.

i found one for $3500 but I'm thinking it might be too high.

User Info Menu

What's the appeal with the model sound-wise and playability wise? Or is the appeal cheapness?

And in the looks department? My goodness they're homely, aren't they? They look like a genetic mutation cross breed of other mediocre laminate guitars.

A few weeks ago all the love was for L5s. How could these be farther away from an L5?

i don't find it homely at all. The appeal is a 17" plywood top so plenty of thunk and a bigger sound than the 175 but with the L5 style 5pc neck, it's got a slightly brighter, quicker attack.

This has nothing to do with the L5. I have an L5 and 175 I love. It's like loving a blonde, a brunette and a redhead. Anything wrong with that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    What's the appeal with the model sound-wise and playability wise? Or is the appeal cheapness?

And in the looks department? My goodness they're homely, aren't they? They look like a genetic mutation cross breed of other mediocre laminate guitars.

A few weeks ago all the love was for L5s. How could these be farther away from an L5?
    So . . do you like the Gibson Tal or not?

Unfortunately, photos of the newer Tals don't really do them justice. In person, they do seem to have a certain charm. I foolishly tried to by Tal's guitar from him. When I asked him if he'd sell it to me, he simply smiled and started playing again. I didn't mean to offend him . . and I don't think I did. But, I just figured he had as many Gibson Tals sitting in stands at his home, as Les Paul had . . . Les Pauls. Vinnie later told me that he had really bonded with that one.

I agree with Jeff . . . "thunk out the wazoo". Dutch bopper has a few great video clips of his Tal. He too loves the guitar.

User Info Menu

I've come close twice pulling the trigger on Viceroy TF's. I dig 'em!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i don't find it homely at all. The appeal is a 17" plywood top so plenty of thunk and a bigger sound than the 175 but with the L5 style 5pc neck, it's got a slightly brighter, quicker attack.

This has nothing to do with the L5. I have an L5 and 175 I love. It's like loving a blonde, a brunette and a redhead. Anything wrong with that?
    no.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    So . . do you like the Gibson Tal or not?

Unfortunately, photos of the newer Tals don't really do them justice. In person, they do seem to have a certain charm. I foolishly tried to by Tal's guitar from him. When I asked him if he'd sell it to me, he simply smiled and started playing again. I didn't mean to offend him . . and I don't think I did. But, I just figured he had as many Gibson Tals sitting in stands at his home, as Les Paul had . . . Les Pauls. Vinnie later told me that he had really bonded with that one.

I agree with Jeff . . . "thunk out the wazoo". Dutch bopper has a few great video clips of his Tal. He too loves the guitar.

haha. nope. i have always thought, "what is Gibson doing with this thing, and why would anybody want one?"

yes, i think they look like shit. (sorry?)

but hey. to each his own, Jack seems to have found some intrinsic value and attractive properties that I would have never known about, because i never would have looked into it. and i'm sure that he has his head screwed on straight about it.

so i have learned something about the Tal Farlow model. unfortunately, i won't remember any of it by the morning.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=jzucker;546081]i don't find it homely at all. The appeal is a 17" plywood top so plenty of thunk and a bigger sound than the 175 but with the L5 style 5pc neck, it's got a slightly brighter, quicker attack.

This has nothing to do with the L5. I have an L5 and 175 I love.

It's like loving a blonde, a brunette and a redhead. Anything wrong with that?
    Well . . possibly!! If the blond, brunette and redhead are sisters with an older brother who's a MMA champ.. . . . then yeah, it could be a problem.

User Info Menu

If a TF (or its prototype) was Tal's "only" guitar from the mid 60s on there was a reason for it.
    No 175, L5 or any other Archtop (currently in production) sounds like one.
    Probably the closest thing to the holy grail of jazz guitar tone: the full scale, full depth ES350 (personal opinion here)

I found these recent Tal Farlow sales. I turned down the $3450 Tal Farlow I was looking at on gbase because the seller insisted on charging me 3% for using paypal. I'll just wait...

$21501998 Gibson Tal Farlow 6 String Semi Hollow Guitar Sunburst Mint Condition | eBay

$2510

Gibson Tal Farlow Guitar | eBay

$3100

Gibson Tal Farlow Jazz Guitar Highly Flamed Deep Red Maple | eBay

$2600

Archtops
    Last edited by jzucker; 07-02-2015 at 11:03 AM.

User Info Menu

$2150?

yeah it's plywood, but quite the deal

and 2 of them sold for that price!

User Info Menu

and 2 of them sold for that price!
    just one Jack, you switched the 1 and 5 by accident

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    just one Jack, you switched the 1 and 5 by accident
    thanks. IMO, the average of those 4 prices should be about the going rate.

($2150+$2510+2600+3100)/4 which would be $2590

User Info Menu

A good Tal sounds better than any 175 IMO. Long scale = better sustain. The longer the string the better the ring. I would sell my L5's before my Tal. They have that classic bop tone. L5's sound better at lower volumes for sure but once you go higher volume the Tal is the clear winner. I had a H550 and it didn't hold a candle to my Tal tonewise. It's Dutchbopper's favorite axe too.

How's $3050 for an ice tea tal?

User Info Menu

How's $3050 for an ice tea tal?
    fair imo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    $2150?

yeah it's plywood, but quite the deal
    And it was described as "mint" and only saw one bidder

User Info Menu

thanks. IMO, the average of those 4 prices should be about the going rate.

($2150+$2510+2600+3100)/4 which would be $2590
    But you're only using the lowest ever seen without the $3500-$3800 of most listings. The last two I've not seen, much less for a mint viceroy. And you're likely to never see those again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    But you're only using the lowest ever seen without the $3500-$3800 of most listings. The last two I've not seen, much less for a mint viceroy. And you're likely to never see those again.
    agreed, I think high 2's low 3's is about right.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    no, i'm using the last 3 that have sold on ebay + the murch music one.

Can you point out any that have sold for over $3100 ?

User Info Menu

no, i'm using the last 3 that have sold on ebay + the murch music one.

Can you point out any that have sold for over $3100 ?
    I've seen a few but not recently. But that's just me...I never use price outliers that have never been seen and are likely never to be seen again.