The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 93

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i don't find it homely at all. The appeal is a 17" plywood top so plenty of thunk and a bigger sound than the 175 but with the L5 style 5pc neck, it's got a slightly brighter, quicker attack.

This has nothing to do with the L5. I have an L5 and 175 I love. It's like loving a blonde, a brunette and a redhead. Anything wrong with that?
    Well I married a Blonde girl.and she still is, I have a number of Blondes, an L5CES. Es175DN Vos, L4CES,
    a Benedetto Bravo deluxe ,etc., before marriage. previous ladies were a Redhead and a Brunette,
    and there was a film,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now what was it called ? ... featuring Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell
    can you remind me of the title please ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    and there was a film,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now what was it called ? ... featuring Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell
    can you remind me of the title please ?
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Danny W.

User Info Menu

If you want something VERY different sounding and looking from a 175 the Tal is it.

Dunno about ANY weighing in at 9 lbs, my CS wine colored 90's is 7lb 12 oz. on a postal scale. As far as price goes, I pay what I believe is fair, I'd rather outbid someone than be outbid and be sorry later on that for maybe a hundred bucks difference on a $3k guitar I lost a guitar.

I've played precious few L5's and only one TF that I own so I can't compare them side by side but the Tal is a very special sound.

Maybe the looks aren't for everyone, but I don't play in front of a mirror so it doesn't matter to me. I'd play a reverse firebird or flying V if I could get the comfort and sound I wanted :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Danny W.
    Damn, I like blondes but I only have one and it's a dude (see avatar)..
    Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 07-03-2015 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Gnappi, I'm with you. If I want something, I pay what I need to get it. If I lose a little when I sell it, then I chalk it up to the price I paid to enjoy it.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    If you want something VERY different sounding and looking from a 175 the Tal is it.

Dunno about ANY weighing in at 9 lbs, my CS wine colored 90's is 7lb 12 oz. on a postal scale. As far as price goes, I pay what I believe is fair, I'd rather outbid someone than be outbid and be sorry later on that for maybe a hundred bucks difference on a $3k guitar I lost a guitar.

I've played precious few L5's and only one TF that I own so I can't compare them side by side but the Tal is a very special sound.

Maybe the looks aren't for everyone, but I don't play in front of a mirror so it doesn't matter to me. I'd play a reverse firebird or flying V if I could get the comfort and sound I wanted :-)
    Last edited by Max405; 07-03-2015 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Money is just a tool. I have lost thousands trading and selling guitars over the years but I can't put a price on that because I am having fun. No u-hauls to heaven and it is a quick ride. It's kind of like women and shoes. You only need one good pair of shoes but how many women do you know that have less then 20 pairs ? Shoes make women happy and nice guitars make me happy. You cannot put a dollar value on happiness. Sure everyone wants a great deal but if you make that your driving factor you are going to miss out on a lot of good things in life and if you are upset that you paid too much or lost too much than you are not happy. Hey being a tone chaser is a very expensive hobby but always remember that song "Don't Worry Be Happy" :-)

User Info Menu

I had several early '90's TFs. On all of them the neck profile on the bass side was too full for me--after playing for awhile my left thumb would become irritated and achy. I've never came across necks shaped like this on any other model I've owned and I quickly sold two of them.

The third one, blonde with gold hardware, wasn't quite as full as the other two, so I kept that for a few years, but when I downsized my collection I sold all the big laminate guitars, including that one. Just not a laminate archtop kind of guy, although I really did like my Borys B120.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Hmmmm. The necks on my Tal's are identical to my L5's. Mine are new though. Never played one from the early 90's.
    I too can't stand a clubby neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Money is just a tool. I have lost thousands trading and selling guitars over the years but I can't put a price on that because I am having fun. No u-hauls to heaven and it is a quick ride. It's kind of like women and shoes. You only need one good pair of shoes but how many women do you know that have less then 20 pairs ? Shoes make women happy and nice guitars make me happy. You cannot put a dollar value on happiness. Sure everyone wants a great deal but if you make that your driving factor you are going to miss out on a lot of good things in life and if you are upset that you paid too much or lost too much than you are not happy. Hey being a tone chaser is a very expensive hobby but always remember that song "Don't Worry Be Happy" :-)
    Couldnt have been said any better. Way to go Vinny.
    Joe D

Just got back from my cleveland to pittsburgh run and picked up the viceroy tal. It's a fabulous guitar. In the honeymoon period to be sure but it's extremely versatile. Can do everything from Joe Pass to Pat Metheny to a more modern sound. It's brighter by nature than my 175 which has mahogany neck back and sides but the tone control works really well on it and i was surprised how good a metheny sound I can get from it. The neck is slightly bigger down near the body than either my L5 or 175 but it's still very comfortable. Super happy with it.

Thanks folks for your advice. One of the tuners seems to be hung up slightly though. I tried loosening the set screw but it's very hard to turn. Anyone know if you can buy a single grover tuner?

User Info Menu

Right on Jack. Take the tulip knob off and turn the guitar on it's side and squirt in some Tri-Flow. Also down the tuning shaft. If that doesn't work than remove tuner and soak it in Tri-flow or any real thin machine oil overnight. You have to buy a whole set of 6 otherwise.

User Info Menu

Single Grover tulip machines turn up on EBAY, here's one:

Vintage Grover Tuner Tulip Part for Gibson Les Paul Metal Chrome Button Old | eBay

User Info Menu

$25.00 for 1 used tuner. You can get a whole Gibson/Grover set brand new from Amplified parts right now for $58.00.
    I think you can fix that tuner Jack. Glad you got a nice Tal. I love them. Great axes. I used to think years ago that they were ugly but now I think they are super sexy.

i think I saw a complete set direct from Grover in ohio (they're about 1/2 hour from me) for $39.

User Info Menu

Jack . . . take a look at the hung up tuner and compare it to the 5 others. There's usually a bushing between the tuning head and the shaft . . depending upon the tuner brand and model. If that busing is missing, the tuning head will just crank down tight without affecting string tension.

the issue with it is not that it turns and doesn't do anything. It's just very hard to turn and I've loosened the set screw almost all the way. I think it must be slightly bent

User Info Menu

Well if you can get a new set of Grovers for $39 no biggie. Just a few bucks more than a set of TI's. Take off the tulip knob and see if is bent inside or the mounting screw itself might be bent. Also just loosen the string shaft nut a bit and see if that helps. Could be binding there too. Lets see L5, Tal, X500D, 175, GB10, new Mambo. Looks like you are good to go Jack :-) or at least you are in remission for a while. You have the same disease most of us have and their is no cure. Enjoy Tal.

Oops, also a '57 175...

I also emailed grover. They (and sperzel) happen to be right down the street from me. My son used to play in little league with one of the grover kids and I talked to the owner a couple times but he probably doesn't remember me at this point since my kids are 28 and 26, lol. Anyway, I asked them if they could sell me a single tuner. Funny that the single tuner in the previous couple threads didn't mention which side it was for...

P.P.S.

Is this the same tuner other than the button?

New Grover Single Guitar Tuner for Low E A or D String Chrome 102 18N | eBay

User Info Menu

No it isn't plus it is chrome and you need one that is nickel. Is your 57 175 last year P90 ?
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 07-03-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    No it isn't plus it is chrome and you need one that is nickel. Is your 57 175 last year P90 ?
    no, it's got 2 humbuckers. Is that correct for that year?

User Info Menu

Yes they started making the humbucker 175's in late 57. Archtop.com sells those 1st year humbucker 175's for $9-10K and they sell instantly.

User Info Menu

These guitars have been intriguing to me for a while. Any more info on what the neck is like? I like 'em thick. Also, can anyone describe with any more details how it sounds compared to a 175? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Encinitastubes
    These guitars have been intriguing to me for a while. Any more info on what the neck is like? I like 'em thick. Also, can anyone describe with any more details how it sounds compared to a 175? Thanks.
    neck is slim at the nut and tapers up to medium at the 12th fret. Sounds similar to a 175 with a bit brighter attack