The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 93
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I've seen a few but not recently. But that's just me...I never use price outliers that have never been seen and are likely never to be seen again.
    OK, then if I take the last 4 sales and discount the high and the low, we're left with 2510 and $2600 which averages out to about the same price.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    OK, then if I take the last 4 sales and discount the high and the low, we're left with 2510 and $2600 which averages out to about the same price.
    Jack, the $3100 is the "low" to what I've seen sell. Typically a Viceroy TF will sell for $3500 minimum. Both of those that sold were anomalies, I've never seen. I don't follow TF's daily, but I've watched them enough to know what they sell for on average. There was a Viceroy TF that was listed here on the forum for months that didn't find a buyer at $3250....that guitar was priced to sell. Ebay listings are all over the board and aren't the market norm as auctions will occasionally not have bidders and result in a $2150 opening bid that only 1 person bids. That's why I never list auction style as one never knows how many legit buyers are watching your auction,

User Info Menu

Viceroy Brown is a huge upcharge compared to the price of a VS Tal. The Tal is the only Gibson that comes in Viceroy Brown. My VB Tal cost $700.00 more than my VS brand new but they use the ultimate best flame on the VB's. Of course that has nothing to do with sound.

User Info Menu

I played one a couple of years ago and it sounded killer--but it was a tank--I'd estimate 9-10 lbs--again it sounded great, but not sure I'd want to hang an anchor around my neck--just another thing to consider--I know some of the laminated Gibsons from a few years back were quite heavy--more recent builds seem to be a bit lighter. The guitar was in the mid 3K range--I think if you could get a good one for under 3K you'd be doing good--of course there are some exceptions with an occasional lower selling price--I just never seem to get them lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Viceroy Brown is a huge upcharge compared to the price of a VS Tal. The Tal is the only Gibson that comes in Viceroy Brown. My VB Tal cost $700.00 more than my VS brand new but they use the ultimate best flame on the VB's. Of course that has nothing to do with sound.
    To be fair, viceroy is GORGEOUS.

User Info Menu

I bought one of mine for £1600 which I think is the cheapest UK price. Relate that into $ and it would have been about $2750.

I think if you can get a good one for $2750 to $3000 you're good to go.

Remember, you're probably only renting it anyway ;-) As long as you get your money back and a little extra for the joy of owning it lol, then you're fine.

Jack, the $3100 is the "low" to what I've seen sell. Typically a Viceroy TF will sell for $3500 minimum. Both of those that sold were anomalies, I've never seen. I don't follow TF's daily, but I've watched them enough to know what they sell for on average. There was a Viceroy TF that was listed here on the forum for months that didn't find a buyer at $3250....that guitar was priced to sell. Ebay listings are all over the board and aren't the market norm as auctions will occasionally not have bidders and result in a $2150 opening bid that only 1 person bids. That's why I never list auction style as one never knows how many legit buyers are watching your auction,
    In addition to the 4 I mentioned, there was one other one that sold on ebay in the last 6 months for $2700. Not sure why it doesn't appear in the search though. I've been keeping an eye on these for a while. So, i'm pretty sure the price on those and archtops in general has peaked and is certainly not trending upwards.

Vinny, what did you sell yours for? I seem to remember yours was pretty reasonable.

User Info Menu

In addition to the 4 I mentioned, there was one other one that sold on ebay in the last 6 months for $2700. Not sure why it doesn't appear in the search though. I've been keeping an eye on these for a while. So, i'm pretty sure the price on those and archtops in general has peaked and is certainly not trending upwards.

Vinny, what did you sell yours for? I seem to remember yours was pretty reasonable.
    In my book the "low" would be the TF at $2700. Not the 2 others..they're outliers. If I as a TF buyer approach a TF seller and use the fact that a TF sold for $2150 he's either to get offended, disbelieve me, or simply laugh me off as a non credible buyer. If TF's commonly sold for $2150 or even $2500 I'd already have owned one. But for the past 3 or 4 years they've not sold that low on "average." That's all I'm saying. If you're suggesting that $2500 is now their current "new" low rate that's news to me .

In my book the "low" would be the TF at $2700. Not the 2 others..they're outliers. If I as a TF buyer approach a TF seller and use the fact that a TF sold for $2150 he's either to get offended, disbelieve me, or simply laugh me off as a non credible buyer. If TF's commonly sold for $2150 or even $2500 I'd already have owned one. But for the past 3 or 4 years they've not sold that low on "average." That's all I'm saying. If you're suggesting that $2500 is now their current "new" low rate that's news to me .
    i'll buy that but I'd have to contend that $3500 and up is an outlier as well based on what I've seen over the last 6 months that I've been watching them. I haven't seen a single one go that high.

So, if we then take $2510, $2700, $2600 and $3100 which yields about $2700. Let's assume Vinny's guitar sold for $3250. That would bring the average price up to about $2800.

User Info Menu

i'll buy that but I'd have to contend that $3500 and up is an outlier as well based on what I've seen over the last 6 months that I've been watching them. I haven't seen a single one go that high.

So, if we then take $2510, $2700, $2600 and $3100 which yields about $2700. Let's assume Vinny's guitar sold for $3250. That would bring the average price up to about $2800.

I actually think there is an uptrend going on. Even Es-175's appear to be going back up in price but thats here in the UK.

I'd go just above your sweet spot, to get my choice and the best one. Or just steal one and see if you can luck out and have a little flip at the end.

I lucked out on my 96 one. I had agreed a price with a guy several months in advance of us being able to exchange, which we did in person at my place. There was no way I could refuse it, if there wasn't anything wrong with it and i took that risk because it was very cheap.

Anyway you bought enough guitars, you know.

Shame at this point I wasn't taking nice photos, or had a good camera, nor a clue what I was doing.

'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-1-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-2-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-3-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-4-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-5-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-6-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-7-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-8-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-9-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-10-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-11-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-12-jpg
    Last edited by Archie; 07-02-2015 at 06:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Shame at this point I wasn't taking nice photos, or had a good camera, nor a clue what I was doing.
    You're right...those pics are just pitiful...what were you thinking?!

C'mon man...those shots are more detailed than 99.9% of guitar sells on the market...You're way too hard on yourself. If I've a bone to pick with your pics it's that you don't separate them and allow each pic to blend into the next without a spacer...but that's my personal presentation preference and has nothing to do with your quality photos.

i found another tal, an ice-tea for $3k, local pickup only. I'm about 2 hours from him. May be making a day trip tomorrow. Unfortunately, he has it setup with .010 strings...

User Info Menu

i found another tal, an ice-tea for $3k, local pickup only. I'm about 2 hours from him. May be making a day trip tomorrow. Unfortunately, he has it setup with .010 strings...
    Sounds like you got room for haggling then ;-)

Old Ice T, Caramel Burst and Honey Burst are my fav colours.

User Info Menu

You're right...those pics are just pitiful...what were you thinking?!

C'mon man...those shots are more detailed than 99.9% of guitar sells on the market...You're way too hard on yourself. If I've a bone to pick with your pics it's that you don't separate them and allow each pic to blend into the next without a spacer...but that's my personal presentation preference and has nothing to do with your quality photos.
    Thanks mate, you know what? I never thought of that. I will do it next time.

It's a shame about that headstock shot though
    Last edited by Archie; 07-02-2015 at 07:35 PM.

AH, how much do your tals weigh?

the one i'm negotiating on is viceroy brown. There's an upcharge for that finish?

User Info Menu

Yes $700.00

thanks vinny. How much does your Tal weigh? I just bought a viceroy for $2800. Picking it up tomorrow. It's about 2 hours from me.

Done buying guitars for a while now!

User Info Menu

Archie, I LOVE the wine. That is such a classy guitar. That's the one to get right there. Love it. Pics are great too. Thanks for dusting for us..
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I actually think there is an uptrend going on. Even Es-175's appear to be going back up
    in price but thats here in the UK.

I'd go just above your sweet spot, to get my choice and the best one. Or just steal one and see if you can luck out and have a little flip at the end.

I lucked out on my 96 one. I had agreed a price with a guy several months in advance of us being able to exchange, which we did in person at my place. There was no way I could refuse it, if there wasn't anything wrong with it and i took that risk because it was very cheap.

Anyway you bought enough guitars, you know.

'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-1-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-2-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-3-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-4-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-5-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-6-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-7-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-8-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-9-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-10-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-11-jpg'90s Gibson Tal Farlow Price?-gibson-tal-farlow-2-60-12-jpg

User Info Menu

Weight is 7.4lbs on my 2014.

User Info Menu

Vin, is that the pretty girl with the Boo-boo? What a beautiful guitar. All this tal talk makes me want one again!
    vinny you are a good man. Joe D

User Info Menu

No Joe I am talking about my 2014 Viceroy Brown one. Mojo flame and way prettier than the VS with the broken headstock. Both about the same weight and sound. After my UPS gig in court I am going to fix the broken headstock one and refinish the neck and try and sell it for around $1500.00 or if I can't sell it I will give it away to a starving jazz cat. Was a great player. Sure wish it made it to you in one piece. You would have dug it for sure.

User Info Menu

You can still get a brand new Tal for cheaper than a new 175. Way more bang for your buck.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=vinnyv1k;546443]You can still get a brand new Tal for cheaper than a new 175.

Way more bang for your buck.
    Only if you prefer a Tal over a 175! ;-)

User Info Menu

Vin, let's keep boo boo in the family. Lets talk offline.
    Joe D