The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

I have a Godin Montreal as my main guitar. I have been concidering getting an archtop for some time, feeling that I m getting close to some sort of decision. I have been out and tried several jazz boxes that are here in Stockholm to be tried, though that is not my question. Rather, is there a difference other than pure personal estetics when chosing between a Venetian or a Florentine body? Would one be easier to play high up, or suit a hand size better than the other model, is the sound affected in any way? I ask so as to better be aware of the difference when trial playing, to make a better decision. Thanks, and Glad Midsommar!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think the generally accepted opinion is that the Florentine theoretically offers better upper fret access, being a deeper cutaway.

Personally, I feel the difference is mainly visual.

User Info Menu

Both of course!!!

User Info Menu

having tried both I prefer flornetian.

User Info Menu

Florentine x 2!

Actually, could Ibanez have made that work with a Venetian on top? Or is that crazy talk?

User Info Menu

I prefer Venetian for looks, but my Slaman avatar is Florentine - c'est la vie! Not detected any difference soundwise.

User Info Menu

venetian
    its feng shui innit ....

i prefer rounded bodies to pointy bodies

ooooooh !

User Info Menu

The pointy one.

User Info Menu

I have a Venetian cutaway guitar and find myself with Florentine envy. My hand is big and my access to the upper register is restricted.

User Info Menu

Florentine, almost always...

The exception is on an L5. Just don't look right.

User Info Menu

Venetian for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    having tried both I prefer flornetian.
    I am working on a venetine prototype but it is still top secret

User Info Menu

Florentine works better. Venetian looks cooler, sometimes.

User Info Menu

I definitely prefer Venetian on a 17 inches bout Gibson style, but on a 16 inches bout like the 175, a florentian is quite right...I guess my cosmetic expectations might play a huge role

User Info Menu

One can't assume that all Venetians and Florentines are dimentionally or symmetrically identical to each builder.
    Last edited by Patrick2; 06-19-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: goofy grammar

User Info Menu

Whichever one has a carved top, low action and is in Mint Condition. No Bigsby please..

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell weighs in on the topic below, courtesy of "Vintage Guitar Magazine", and Wolf Marshall:

"Earlier, you had a Gibson ES-175 and then a custom L-5 CES with a Florentine cutaway. That was years before the Florentine cutaway on the L-5 and Super 400. How did it come about?
    Gibson made me an L-5 with a deep cutaway in the late ’50s. They did it reluctantly. I played that guitar for a while, but it was too heavy. It had a much bigger block; they thought the body wouldn’t hold the neck with the deep cutaway otherwise. The 175 was too small and always felt clumsy; I couldn’t grab it comfortably with my arm. The Super 400 feels perfect for me."

Kenny Burrell |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Kenny Burrell weighs in on the topic below, courtesy of "Vintage Guitar Magazine", and Wolf Marshall:

"Earlier, you had a Gibson ES-175 and then a custom L-5 CES with a Florentine cutaway. That was years before the Florentine cutaway on the L-5 and Super 400. How did it come about?
    Gibson made me an L-5 with a deep cutaway in the late ’50s. They did it reluctantly. I played that guitar for a while, but it was too heavy. It had a much bigger block; they thought the body wouldn’t hold the neck with the deep cutaway otherwise. The 175 was too small and always felt clumsy; I couldn’t grab it comfortably with my arm. The Super 400 feels perfect for me."

Kenny Burrell |

Well, KB played and owned Super 400s with both type cutaways. Also, as an example of my comments on not all manufactures make similar cutaways . . . just tak a look at the HUGH cutaway in the Heritage Super Kenney Burrell he's shown with in the photo in the article you linked to. That's quite different than Gibson's Florentine cutaway on their Super 400 models.

User Info Menu

I wonder about the history of the designation 'Venetian' and 'Florentine'. Wikipedia says

"The terms probably originate with the Gibson Guitar Corporation and probably do not reflect historic instrument-making practices of Florence and Venice"

Does anybody know more about where the terms come from?

User Info Menu

The Venetian Cutaway on my Guild Benedetto Artist Award is deeper then the Venetian Cutaway on my Gibson L-5, Gibson Super 400 or my 1971 Guild Artist Award.

Here is a picture of the two AA's with the Super 400. You can see the differences.:

Venetian or Florentine Cutaway?-71aasuper400gbaa-jpg

As Patrick says, they vary.

I prefer the look of the Venetian, but a 175 needs a Florentine. Putting a Venetian on a 175 would be...blasphemy!
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 06-19-2015 at 02:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter
    I wonder about the history of the designation 'Venetian' and 'Florentine'. Wikipedia says

"The terms probably originate with the Gibson Guitar Corporation and probably do not reflect historic instrument-making practices of Florence and Venice"

Does anybody know more about where the terms come from?
    Two luthiers in Gibson of those times named Vincent and Florian, just kidding of course !

I like Florence much better than Venice. But I prefer Venetian cutaways fret access notwithstanding. Or like this

User Info Menu

The names are just Gibson marketing speak.

I like mine either way:

Danny W.

User Info Menu

And then there are the hybrids. Flornetian? Venentine?

Venetian or Florentine Cutaway?-sadowskybruno-jpg

User Info Menu

it's not florentine unless it comes to a point.

User Info Menu

Is there a name for cutaways like this? I've only seem them on acoustic guitars.