The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Doesn't matter, all the good notes are down lower.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's Jame's take on a Venetian (there are many variants)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Is there a name for cutaways like this? I've only seem them on acoustic guitars.

User Info Menu

IIRC, there was an interview in JJG magazine with the NY luthier who converted Kenny Burrell's Super 400 to a Florentine style c/away. Can't remember his name though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Gorgeous collection!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Florentine, almost always...

The exception is on an L5. Just don't look right.
    I don't know, man . . . .

1999 Gibson L 5CES Cutaway Electric Spanish Guitar Print Ad | eBay

1961 Gibson L-5 CESN Blonde > Guitars : Archtop Electric & Acoustic - New Yorker Guitars, LLC

Can't find a photo of Danny W.'s former L5 CES Florentine . . . but, I'd have traded my grand children for that one!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Can't find a photo of Danny W.'s former L5 CES Florentine . . . but, I'd have traded my grand children for that one!!
    Here you go...I salivate over it every time I pay a visit to feebay...not a bad profit...at one time the seller was asking $12k for it...he keeps pushing the envelope...perhaps he only likes advertising it...didn't Danny sell it for $7.5k?

Gibson L5 L 5 L 5 Florentine Archtop Guitar | eBay

User Info Menu

Which one?:

or even:

I no longer own any of these, but if I did, you'd have to come up with better payment!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Here you go...I salivate over it every time I pay a visit to feebay...not a bad profit...at one time the seller was asking $12k for it...he keeps pushing the envelope...perhaps he only likes advertising it...didn't Danny sell it for $7.5k?

Gibson L5 L 5 L 5 Florentine Archtop Guitar | eBay
    Yeah . . . ain't it sweet? Danny said he sold it because the neck was way too big for his hands. What a lame excuse!! He could have at least tried to stretch his fingers and elongate his hands before he sold it. Tal Farlow had a special book out on it. It was titled . . "Get Tal's 6 Fret Span Over The Fret Board in Six Easy Weeks".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Which one?:

or even:

I no longer own any of these, but if I did, you'd have to come up with better payment!

Danny W.
    Either of the first two. I'd thow in my neighbor's grand children too!

User Info Menu

The Venetian Cutaway on my Guild Benedetto Artist Award is deeper then the Venetian Cutaway on my Gibson L-5, Gibson Super 400 or my 1971 Guild Artist Award.

Here is a picture of the two AA's with the Super 400. You can see the differences.:

Attachment 21095

As Patrick says, they vary.

I prefer the look of the Venetian, but a 175 needs a Florentine. Putting a Venetian on a 175 would be...blasphemy!

wait a minute.
    is it me or do the AA and S4 have the same lower bout width in that shot?
    AA are 17" and S4's are 18", so what gives?

User Info Menu

Not true Wintermoon. Some AA's are 18 inch. That said, I think that is a camera illusion. My 71 AA is 17 inches ( I measured) and my S400 is 18 inches.

User Info Menu

Not true Wintermoon. Some AA's are 18 inch. That said, I think that is a camera illusion. My 71 AA is 17 inches ( I measured) and my S400 is 18 inches.
    pretty sure you could custom order one for a couple years in the early 70s, but I've never seen one.

User Info Menu

I have never seen one either...

User Info Menu

Yeah . . . ain't it sweet? Danny said he sold it because the neck was way too big for his hands. What a lame excuse!! He could have at least tried to stretch his fingers and elongate his hands before he sold it. Tal Farlow had a special book out on it. It was titled . . "Get Tal's 6 Fret Span Over The Fret Board in Six Easy Weeks".
    I used that book to get to where I am now

Either of the first two. I'd thow in my neighbor's grand children too!
    We've lived in an active-adult community for the past fourteen years so we could avoid having the neighbor's grandchildren around.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    A profit implies a sale, which I don't think this guy is going to get at $14k.

Danny W.