The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 310
    Amazing, great job!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, jazzmus, that´s neat one! The vintage apparel of the print IS very cool!

Now we have a situation where the Polytone simulations are the hottest word in the pedal market!

Are You going to keep this just for Yourself or do You have an order list already? If a sound/vid clip assures the Polytone fans You could have some clients...
    Last edited by Herbie; 05-28-2017 at 11:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Wow, jazzmus, that´s neat one! The vintage apparel of the print IS very cool!

Now we have a situation where the Polytone simulations are the hottest word in the pedal market!

Are You going to keep this just for Yourself or do You have an order list already? If a sound/vid clip assures the Polytone fans You could have some clients...
    Thanks Herbie! ( jorge, chris and peter) This exact one i intend to keep yes but i have a pile of boards to build a more if anyone should want to acquire one. This was initially meant as a proto build just to manage build details - overall assembly, parts fit, grahpics and drill template, knobs, switches, wiring etc etc. Im somewhat a perfectionist in a extent that borders to ocd, it went smooth and im happy to verify my own satisfaction is 100% and found no need to change a thing.
    After first cloning a complete MB amp i didnt see a need to build the pedal, i had a long list of stuff to build first but when my to do list got shallow i decided to look into it. I already had a complete pre amp in a chassis finished for 2nd amp build, hooked that up to a breadboard, i knew a wanted to add the highpass (great idea from Jorge to incooperate - into any effect or amp intended for jazz use), i had also already planned the edge control for my next amp build, so i build and tweaked the filter first, further added the "edge" circuit, i then discovered that it worked great even shaping the sound going straight into my old original polytone, everytime i played without it in my practice room i soon enough found myself moving to the workspace playing thru the breadboard - figured it was time to just get the boards done and box it so i did.
    No order list as of yet, im contemplating on a prober setup but anyone interested already are welcome to get in touch. (im in europe)
    Edit: by the way Herbie, it is not even a simulation, swap a original Polytone MB pre amp for this pedal/circuit into the power amp and it will sound... just like before.
    Last edited by jazzmus; 09-18-2017 at 06:05 PM.

User Info Menu

I think the graphics look great, as is.

User Info Menu

This is extremely cool.

User Info Menu

I like what I'm hearing. To people who have the pedal and can make critical assessments: how does the substitution of the RC4739 or RC4558 Op Amp chips in the old Polytone preamp circuits with the pedal's LM351n chips sound in the room?

You know, the old "739" and "4558" chips were notoriously trashy op amps. Many people think that they contributed to some of the grittiness in the old 70s/80s Polytone amps.

Obviously, it would appear that the tone and control of the tone is present in the new pedal. However, how about the obvious lack of sterility that the Polytone exuded? Is that there, too, in the pedal?

In my experience, no. I'm using OPA2134, and the pedal has higher fidelity than a Polytone. I like that, personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I like what I'm hearing. To people who have the pedal and can make critical assessments: how does the substitution of the RC4739 or RC4558 Op Amp chips in the old Polytone preamp circuits with the pedal's LM351n chips sound in the room?

You know, the old "739" and "4558" chips were notoriously trashy op amps. Many people think that they contributed to some of the grittiness in the old 70s/80s Polytone amps.

Obviously, it would appear that the tone and control of the tone is present in the new pedal. However, how about the obvious lack of sterility that the Polytone exuded? Is that there, too, in the pedal?

Jorge and his posh ic´s;-) Kidding aside, Jorge is right, the 2134 has higher fidelity, personally i prefer the opposite, with the 4558 it gets a little dirtier, not by any means anything close to clipping/overdrive dirty but the "noisier" ic makes for this rounded crispy sparkly "omph" when your pick the notes, the differences are subtle but imho present, changes in noise level as in terms of hiss is nothing noticable but yes, the 2134 for sure sounds cleaner overall. Im waiting for parts to box more pedals and will offer more response, A/B a 2134 and 4558 + a few more. I deliberatly used carbon film resistors for my first build (as i did in my amp clone), next will be metal film, i suspect the "noisy" resistors and trashy ic´s will sound the most warm (or the least hifi).
    Last edited by jazzmus; 07-06-2017 at 08:35 AM.

User Info Menu

I would have expected that from the 351 op amp chips. They are patently better op amps. The 4558 chips were garbage, i.e., hissy and plenty of harmonic distortion. I can't say much about the older, still, 4739 chips. They were long obsolete by the time I started fooling with Polytone repairs. If one went bad in an old 70s Polytone, we'd deadbug a 4558 on top with jumpers. (Ugly but a solid repair.) I have seen 14-pin chips labelled 4739 for sale from China, but I cannot vouch for them--never having ordered them or worked with them. So far as I know, the "39" has been out of production for years and years.

Still, some players swear that the cleaner, quieter MiniBrute of the 21st Century (without the Sonic Circuit in play) is less, hmm?, "Polytone" sounding than the older ones. Some folks attribute this to the chipset.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I would have expected that from the 351 op amp chips. They are patently better op amps. The 4558 chips were garbage, i.e., hissy and plenty of harmonic distortion. I can't say much about the older, still, 4739 chips. They were long obsolete by the time I started fooling with Polytone repairs. If one went bad in an old 70s Polytone, we'd deadbug a 4558 on top with jumpers. (Ugly but a solid repair.) I have seen 14-pin chips labelled 4739 for sale from China, but I cannot vouch for them--never having ordered them or worked with them. So far as I know, the "39" has been out of production for years and years.

Still, some players swear that the cleaner, quieter MiniBrute of the 21st Century (without the Sonic Circuit in play) is less, hmm?, "Polytone" sounding than the older ones. Some folks attribute this to the chipset.
    I tend to agree regarding old/new Polytones with one exception, the Mega Brute sounds great imo.
    Never played a post 80´s diamond tolex i liked, for a period we rehearsed at a conservatory, the had mega brutes and sonic circuit 12" MB´s, i sincerely disliked the sonic MB´s but the Mega was just as much a joy to play as my 80´s MB (160W 12", diamond tolex, no reverb). Besides my clone i currently have a late 70´s MB, 15", i bought it for hands on reference when i decided to build a clone, im not that big a fan of the 15 but now, playing my pedal into it, im starting to appreciate it more than expected, it will luxury to soon split my signal and have the 8" and 15" running, plenty of sound there.
    Last edited by jazzmus; 05-31-2017 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

OK, so a couple of weeks ago I caved in and contacted Jazzmus, asking him if I could place an order for his Polytone pedal, and less than two weeks later I am the happy owner of a Brute eq. So far I’ve only been testing it in front of my Clarus amp with a Raezer’s Edge 10” cab – which in itself isn’t too far off from Polytone territory, but WOW! Jazzmus isn’t kidding when he says that this is the Polytone sound you get, and not just an emulation of it. I don’t have a Polytone amp in front of me to compare with, but I played one for many years and the sound is unmistakable.

Jazzmus basically built mine to the same specs as his prototype described in post #337 above. I was able to choose between two op amps – also discussed in this thread – and went for the less clean-sounding. First of all, I’m already covered when it comes to hi-fi reproduction, and to me, the ideal Polytone-sound involves a bit of hair/aggressive boost of the mid frequencies.

Jazzmus has already described the features in his pedal above, but I might add that the Bright switch with two settings (Normal and Polytone Bright – you don’t miss the Dark setting!) works great, and together with the Edge switch (which is ever so subtle) it gives you plenty of options. (So far, my preferred setting has been with the Bright switch set to Normal + Edge engaged + the gain cranked up…)

Like other good eq’s it really adds an extra dimension to your sound – you tend not to notice it until you switch it off. But it has made me think (again) about what it is about Polytone that is so special. Funny thing is, I have used eq in front of my amp (SansAmp Paradriver) for a long time, and I often end up cutting certain mid frequencies that tend to be honky or harsh-sounding, but with Polytone it is the mid frequencies you’re after. Difficult to explain, but Polytones do something musically to the mids that other amps cannot seem to do.

Anyway, these are my first impressions. Unfortunately I’ll be away/busy over the next couple of weeks, but I’ll try to fiddle a bit more with the setup once I get the time. In the meantime, big thumbs up for Jazzmus and his pedal: He knows what he’s doing – and is a cool guy! I’m sure he’ll be happy to chime in, if you should be interested or have any questions.
    Last edited by Nils; 06-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Glad to see more people are enjoying this pedal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eblydian
    I am the lucky owner of a "Polyclone" built by Miguel Oliveira and referred to in Jorge's previous posts.
    Mine's finally arrived! .
    Polytone in a Pedal-14990785762531182293210-jpg

It seems very light indeed - just 397g!
    Polytone in a Pedal-1499078827011-957871405-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Polytone in a Pedal-1499078827011-957871405-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Yes - keep the amp, and also keep us posted on your thoughts on the pedal
    I've put them in a video :

I was finally able to see the video, really glad you liked the pedal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I was finally able to see the video, really glad you liked the pedal!
    Thanks again, Jorge! To have come up with this pedal - and, of course, the others that are like it - amazes me. Portability rules - and highly portable 'Polytone in a Pedal' rules supreme!

User Info Menu

I've been trying out the new pedal through the fx loop with vocals and with a nylon Ovation, which I intend to use tonight (solo gig at a swanky hotel - bit more nervous than usual).

I think the pedal adds warmth and presence to both. I've attached the rough sample I managed to record in Audacity:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by destinytot; 07-04-2017 at 12:32 PM.

User Info Menu

The sound was fabulous (loud, live on the gig); the pedal's high-pass filter is a godsend.
    Last edited by destinytot; 07-06-2017 at 08:12 AM.

User Info Menu

My Polytone Pedal arrived today, taken in by my neighbour, I got home
    at around 8pm, plugged into my Mambo, simple to operate, and quite
    pleased with it, I shall experiment more in the next day or two with other amps,
    I must say a big thank you to Rasmus for building and sending the pedal from
    Denmark so quickly. This has been a joint effort over the years I think from the
    germ of an idea from Jorgemg1984, and developed further by Rasmus and I suspect ,
    the contribution of input from Franz1997 ( if I've got this wrong I apologise ).
    Thanks also to Mike, (Destinytot) for simplifying the setup procedure for those
    of us who have difficulty in telling our elbow from our derriere

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    pleased with it, I shall experiment more in the next day or two with other amps,
    Denmark so quickly. This has been a joint effort over the years I think from the
    germ of an idea from Jorgemg1984, and developed further by Rasmus and I suspect ,
    the contribution of input from Franz1997 ( if I've got this wrong I apologise ).
    Hats off to all of the AND to add4, who had one version of the pedal almost done in the last winter. I have not read about his project since. He had pcb's planned, graphics designed etc. He kept the spark alive for some months.

I suppose his agent booked him on the World Tour and he is now playing in the Hollywood Bowl instead of soldering in his garage...

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Many thanks, glad you're enjoying the pedal. I think the main reason I know this pedal was a good idea is to see so many people who never used pedals, using it...

I would like to add the original forum member who started all this, Insufferable Rhythm. He doesn't post around here anymore, but he was the one who sent me the original files. Him and Chris (Franz 1997) were (are) immensely generous since I joined here, sharing their vast knowledge with pleasure and kindness.

Fortunately I don't have the ability to build amps or pedals, otherwise, I would probably lose focus from the music. But Rasmus (jazzmus) has that ability and has made my idea come to life! I just hope this thread keeps alive for a long time.

User Info Menu

I have an old peavy bass amp as y only amp at the moment. I would like to get this pedal. A guitar pedal that a jazz player can appreciate.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Just curious about how owners feel about the pedal and if it ever developed further?

User Info Menu

Great pedal; it does for humbuckers what the Jr Barnyard does for single coils in adding colour and articulation to neutral amps.