The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hello guys ,
    I'm writing because I'm looking for an high level Archtop and among the others I saw an used 1997 santa cruz 17 " .
    Their flat top have high reputation, but the archtop are very rare.
    I have a 175 and an amazing acoustic Collings AT17.
    Now I am looking for a great electrified Guitar and I 'm looking around before buying the usual L5.
    Anyone know these guitars ?

Thanks, Louis

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

bumpski

User Info Menu

I have had the good luck play a Santa Cruz archtop on two separate occasions.
    The two that I played were 17" acoustic archtops w/floating pickups. Even with flatwound strings, they were excellent sounding, great-playing guitars. I know that SC has never made more than a handful of these, and charges silly money to make one new.

Very similar to a Collings or Bourgeois archtop - other medium-sized custom builders known for their flattops.
    All good. As with Collings and Bourgeois, expect to pay a premium for the rarity of it - a similar used guitar from Campellone, Nickerson, Trenier, Andersen and a bunch of other guys will sound just as good and cost a lot less, unless you're getting some kind of screaming deal.

Sorry, I'm Italian, but what does bumpsky?

The price of the Used SC is like a new Campellone Special.
    About at the same price I can get a natural 2012 L5 or a refretted 1979 Johnny Smith.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by louisguitar
    I have a 175 and an amazing acoustic Collings AT17.
    Louis,

Do you have a photo of your AT17? Santa Cruz Archtop
    Last edited by kkfan; 05-27-2015 at 05:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I have had the good luck play a Santa Cruz archtop on two separate occasions.
    The two that I played were 17" acoustic archtops w/floating pickups. Even with flatwound strings, they were excellent sounding, great-playing guitars. I know that SC has never made more than a handful of these, and charges silly money to make one new.

Very similar to a Collings or Bourgeois archtop - other medium-sized custom builders known for their flattops.
    All good. As with Collings and Bourgeois, expect to pay a premium for the rarity of it - a similar used guitar from Campellone, Nickerson, Trenier, Andersen and a bunch of other guys will sound just as good and cost a lot less, unless you're getting some kind of screaming deal.
    Thanks for this info!

I never knew SC and Bourgeois made archtops even on special order. Collings, OTOH, actually lists their AT16, AT17, and AT18 models on their website as models that they can, and do, make.

Do you happen to have any photos of SC and/or Bourgeois archtops?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

My goodness!
    Are you selling yours?

I saw this:

Last edited by kkfan; 05-27-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Yes, this is mine.

User Info Menu

archtop.com has a Santa Cruz for sale

1997 Santa Cruz FJ2-17

Beautiful guitar .....

I wish I had the money to pick up some of these special pieces .... maybe if it was 18 inches I'd try to raise the cash for something like this

I'm already well set for my 17 inch archtops

User Info Menu

Collings archtops are lovely ...

But at their asking prices I have other things I would prefer to chase after

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by louisguitar
    Yes, this is mine.
    Gorgeous guitar. Sorry you're letting it go.

User Info Menu

Hi Louis,
    I had already seen your beautiful At 17 on "Mercatino" because I live in your country ;-).
    I own myself two Collings (I35 LC and Eastside LC) but never seen or played a Santa Cruz.

User Info Menu

I will say while both Collings and Santa Cruz make excellent instruments, I find their archtops to be over priced compared to well established archtop makers prices. Sure Monteleone, Buscarino, command equally high prices, but Campellone, Elferink, and some others are way more affordable and equally as good sounding. I think you end up paying for pedigree vs. the actual guitar. But this is true of anything in the marketplace.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I will say while both Collings and Santa Cruz make excellent instruments, I find their archtops to be over priced compared to well established archtop makers prices. Sure Monteleone, Buscarino, command equally high prices, but Campellone, Elferink, and some others are way more affordable and equally as good sounding. I think you end up paying for pedigree vs. the actual guitar. But this is true of anything in the marketplace.
    Have you actually compared the acoustic tone of, say, a Collings AT17 to a Campellone 17" or to an Elferink 17"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kkfan
    Have you actually compared the acoustic tone of, say, a Collings AT17 to a Campellone 17" or to an Elferink 17"?
    It would be more interesting to hear what YOUR experience of the Collings AT-17 is since you show a photo of it in your avatar. I recognise that as having been taken from John G. Stewart's My Jazz Home so perhaps it is your personal axe that you bought from John. http://www.myjazzhome.com/08_Collings_AT17v.shtml

I would be so edified if you would deign to do so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It would be more interesting to hear what YOUR experience of the Collings AT-17 is since you show a photo of it in your avatar. I recognise that as having been taken from John G. Stewart's My Jazz Home so perhaps it is your personal axe that you bought from John. http://www.myjazzhome.com/08_Collings_AT17v.shtml

I would be so edified if you would deign to do so.
    An eagle eye, for sure!

The avatar is indeed from that website, but the guitar is not mine. I used the photo because I thought it was beautiful.

User Info Menu

Look at the price tag. I don't even have to play it to know that it must be stonkingly stupefyingly superbly superb.

Santa Cruz Archtop-coronet_2015-jpg

I 'm 53 years old and during my life I have had in my hands a lot of guitars , classical , acoustic , hollow and solid bodies .
    Some very prestigious : vintage Gibson and Fender , PRS , Tom Anderson , Ramirez , Fleta, Martin, Larrivee, Taylor ecc. ecc.
    The Collings AT 17, with two other instruments, is and will be part of those unforgettable things.

Louis

User Info Menu

Hi,

In 1997 I had the opportunity to take one of the SCGC archtops on a mini tour accompanying Paul Anastasio. It can be heard on the album that we made during that tour: "Twin Fiddle Western Swing" features Dick Barrett and Paul on twin fiddles. That CD is now harder to find than an SCGC archtop.

The guitar was wonderful, very responsive, easy to play, nice tone, and beautifully built. The SCGC archtops were hand built by Dan Roberts who now has his own business: Daniel Roberts Stringworks. He has been building some really fine flat tops and octave mandolins for the past several years. And the demand for them is such that he has not had time to build any archtops for quite some time.

However, the one that I played was great and depending on just what qualities you are looking for, you might put that one on your short list.

Tom