The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 77

User Info Menu

I'm a rare breed of musicians who happens to love Peavey amps.

I've owned fenders, Rolands and polytones and I somehow always wind up back with Peavey. I love their sound quality and built-like-a-tank reliability.

Being a blues player now expanding to jazz, any thoughts?

I'm currently using a '72 heritage, ' 82 Bandit 65, '80 backstage 30, and a modern special 212(definitely a rock amp but the clean channel is decent).

Playing all with a Sheraton ii and ibanez ak85 hollow body both with 12ga Chromes.

They've all done an outstanding job with my blues playing but I'm now experimenting with jazz tones.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Had my Classic 30 for 16 years. Very versatile. Currently have a hemp speaker and low gain tubes for my Jazz explorations.

User Info Menu

I've got a Transtube EFX 112 that I use for shows that require rock sounds. It's very dependable.

User Info Menu

I had a Peavey Classic 50 4x10 loved it. But sold it because it was too heavy.
    Right now I have a Peavey Bandit. It is so versatile and reliable. Side by side compared to the Cube it sounds much more natural. Clean and distorted.
    Peavey has a winner with the Bandit and I don`t know why they don`t sell millions of these....

User Info Menu

Peavey Classic 20 Mini Head Guitar Amplifier

User Info Menu

Had a Classic 50 2x12" and eventually traded it for a Classic 30 1 x 12". Both great amps. Can't go wrong with the latter for jazz IMHO, if Peavey is what you want.

User Info Menu

In our rehearsal studio, I usually play with a Fender Supersonic amp which is OK but I recently gave a try to a Blues Classic. I've been told it's a 4X10 50w but I didn't check myself.
    Eventough I'm rather a Fender amp sort of guy, I finally tend to prefer the Peavy sound, wether clean or slightly overdriven.

User Info Menu

I've played a couple of classic 50's in the past and loved them a great deal, but as redwater pointed out, they are heavey. The classic 30 on the other hand is not an amp I've owned but may look into one. A friend of mine had one and for a 112, that thing will peel paint off the walls if needed.

That 20 watt head posted by kris looks like something I'll have to try at some point, I see they either make it in a 110 combo or atleast they did. That might go a step further than my backstage 30. It's got a great tone in a light, small package but doesn't quite carry the volume that I need in some venues.

User Info Menu

I had a classic 50 4x10. Cool amp but it was huge and it took me a long time to sell it.

User Info Menu

I was in the same boat. I wish now that I hadn't let it go, but when I was selling it I basically trolled my local Craigslist page and found people looking for what the amp would do and then went in for the sale, I found that method a lot more effective than letting it sit until someone looked it up. The amp does virtually any style so is just a matter of spin.

User Info Menu

Still have my Classic 50 4x12 ... good amp, especially with a strat. It is heavy, though, and I think of it more as a "rock" amp.

It is over due for a jam session, though. I'll have to try my L5 in it and see how it does.

I had a Classic 20 combo with a single speaker ... 10 inches .. I think

I should have kept it ... it was a perfect match for my L4CES

User Info Menu

The Classic series are obvious good choices. I had a Delta Blues for ten years in my studio that sounded fine for jazz.

Less obvious: the solid-state steel guitar amps from the 70s and 80s are good choices.

User Info Menu

I had two of the Transtube Studio Pro 112s for a few years. I used them in a wet/dry setup. Very reliable amps. The overdrive channels are pretty nice if you goose them with a fuzz or a tube screamer. The cleans are Fenderish. Reverbs are a little shallow. Cost nothing to buy s/h.

User Info Menu

The Delta Blues I has was the 210 model and it had a very tight clean tone, I'm not sure how the 115 would do, I assume it would do fine as well. I Never thought about steel guitar amps, not a bad idea. And yes, I'm glad that they don't cost much. When they started out in '65, they were marketed for their PA gear while Fender and Marshall were taking on the guitar world so they are a well kept secret especially old peaveys which I prefer. MY '72 Heritage 212 I would swear is a Twin Reverb housed in a Peavey box. As good as I still believe newer models are, I wish they still built them like that.

User Info Menu

I had the 115 DB.

True, Peavey reverb isn't as lush as Fender. It is useful though.

User Info Menu

Not many amps have a built-in reverb that I like, I usually resort to pedals for that. The RV-5 is nice and my Tonelab le has a lot of great options.

How did you like the 115 Delta Blues? I'm currently looking into a '70s model Artist 115 tube amp, I'm sure it would be similar in tonality.

User Info Menu

I really liked the clean channel of the DB a lot. Great amp. It's a big box Classic 30...same amp.

User Info Menu

Actually, the high wattage 1x15 Peavey solid states like the Session 400s can go for decent money -- they're a staple amp for steel string session players. Apparently pretty good with a Fender Rhodes too.
    Last edited by wildschwein; 05-27-2015 at 10:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Seen plenty of love for the Peavey amps. Bandits and Classics in particular.

User Info Menu

The Classic 30 is nice, loud and heavy. I liked mine when I had it and have actually thought of getting another, but for gigging I prefer lighter SS or hybrid amps like the Fender SCXD.

User Info Menu

My favourite jazz guitar amp I own is my 1976 Peavey Session 400. Another amp I use heaps is my mid 1980's Bandit 65. The old Peavey amps are great.

User Info Menu

I love my bandit 65! I am amazed how much sound comes out of this thing. My favorite for small venues is my Peavey Backstage 30 110. I snagged in on CL or $50 and this thing looks like it had been in a vault since 1980. It's small, but incredible all the way up to its limit, after that the bandit comes out and I haven't played a show where that one has been found lacking.

User Info Menu

Has anyone used a classic 30 with a Cannabis Rex speaker swap? I've read that it makes for a nice sound and coincidentally, I have a CR speaker lying around and my best friend who has 2 of the first or second year C30's(and a LOT of other gear) called me a few days ago and asked if I wanted one of them. Is it worth putting a C rex into a free amp?

User Info Menu

whiskey02, I don't know about that speaker replacement but I've heard so many great things about the upgrade. What I will say with certainty is that I spent sometime on the first model classics(2-50's and a friends 30) and LOVE them, even without the speaker swap, I'd jump on snagging up one of those beauties; and you can't beat the price!!! The newer ones aren't bad per se, but the early ones to me sound a lot better.

User Info Menu

I put a C Rex into my Classic 30. Much improved tone over the stock speaker. Make sure it's a 16 ohm. You have to pull the chassis to replace the speaker.