The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 238

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Hi Dave, those amps are well documented here by Kris if you follow his threads, I believe he's endorsed by them. I was also never able to found any English site about them and I don't really trust Google on Polish to Portuguese translations.

As to what really matters, 2.5 speakers would scare me too... Do you have any way of trying one?
    No one in my immediate area stocks them so it would be a bit of a drive which is particularly inconvenient for me in the immediate future. Plus I hate to go to a brick/mortor place to try something that I am not going to guy from them (I have a non-trivial credit from Sweetwater that I intend to use).

dave

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I too would suggest the Super Champ X2 - I've played through them a few times and you can get some really nice sounds. The alternative would be Fenders other amp like that - the Mustang. I have one for home use and while the built in presets never really did anything - you can download some great presets. Last night I found a great version on s Dumble sound for higher gain as well a great Wes Montgomery sound - both added to my amp now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Slightly different idea - Roland eband JS10. I use it ALL the time to practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djelley
    Slightly different idea - Roland eband JS10. I use it ALL the time to practice.
    I had not run into this one. VERY interesting - thanks.

dave

User Info Menu

Fender Frontman 25 R . small , solid state , 25 watts , with reverb . I replace the stock speaker with a Jensen . Hugh difference .

User Info Menu

I am looking for a small jazz amp for a home studio. I was thinking tube because I am looking for a fat tube sound, but will consider solid state as well. I don't need much volume because it is just for solo jazz guitar. Just want great clean tone. Any suggestions? Thanks

User Info Menu

budget?
    i have a silverface princeton and a carr sportsman both of which i would reccomend highly
    there are so many options

User Info Menu

Mambo 8 Wedge

User Info Menu

I have two that fit that description, both solid state though. DV Mark Little Jazz sounds very good and is loud enough to gig with.

I also have an older Crate GFX15. This amp sold new for under $100 and is typically about $35 or $40 used on CL. I think it sounds great. Not loud enough for a gig, but fine for the practice room.

User Info Menu

I use a 5w Fender Vibro-Champ XD at home. It has a valve power amp with a modelling preamp including some wonderful clean and vintage tones. One channel offers "a clean amplifier tone optimised for jazz styles with the character of the Fender Jazz King amplifier", which sounds pretty cool with my ES175.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    [...] I also have an older Crate GFX15. This amp sold new for under $100 and is typically about $35 or $40 used on CL. I think it sounds great. Not loud enough for a gig, but fine for the practice room.
    CRATE!

Funny nostalgia.

St. Louis Music brought out the Crate amps as this absurd gimick with a crate-like finish. The funny part was that they sounded great. Not good, great.

They even had power amp “kickers” for those who needed silly volume.

The business I worked for became a dealer and sold them by the pallet-load. We all ended up with tour jackets from St. Louis Music for some reason.

They were silly and gimmicky, but solid and remarkably useful for almost everything.

I remember my loooong day with Gibson promo/master-class player Mike Elliott. He tried every amp we had before his evening demo gig and ended up playing through the Crates for everything.

A decade later I was in Paris during a transit strike (common then) and in the rain. I went to “Lead Guitars” in Pigalle (infamous of course, and even more so in the rain during a transit strike) and bought a Crate 60 watt something-or-other. Played it exclusively for a good 5 years. They had since changed to normal exteriors - gone was the asinine “Crate” look.

Try getting even a small amp from Pigalle to La Defense in the rain during a transit strike sometime.

Thanks rpjazz’ for the memory kick.

Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jack56
    I am looking for a small jazz amp for a home studio. I was thinking tube because I am looking for a fat tube sound, but will consider solid state as well. I don't need much volume because it is just for solo jazz guitar. Just want great clean tone. Any suggestions? Thanks
    I recently tried a Henriksen Blu. You need to set it on a reasonably large flat surface, but wowie - “tone”, as they say.

But if you are leaving it in the studio, you can likely find a less expense box that will also sound great.

But if you are not worried about a little $$$, and little and portable has its own charm for you, check out the “Blu”.

Even if they spell it like a web-jerk teen in a chat room.

User Info Menu

For a fat tube sound at home volume no need to spend more than around $200-$300 on a VHT Special 6.

User Info Menu

I have a DV Mark Little Jazz that I like a lot. It has an XLR our for recording, and it sounds really good to me. It will get surprisingly loud if you need it to, but it sounds very good at bedroom levels. Lately my AI Clarus/RE Stealth 10 have been sitting idle because of this little gem.

User Info Menu

Edited to retract what I said below this paragraph because the Bugera developed a horrible case of tube rattle from the power tube two weeks into owning it, so I put the original 12AX7 back in and returned it. I ended up putting the 12AU7 into the v1 stage of the ‘54 Magnatone Varsity 108 and bought a Holy Grail reverb pedal, but I don’t have a separate gain/volume control of a headphone jack anymore.

“Budget” is a loaded term because everyone has different ideas of what “inexpensive” really is. I don’t play professionally in any capacity, so my “budget” is probably much lower than most people here.

But here’s my BUDGET setup: Bugera V5 combo ($129). Pros: PRICE, all tube amplification stages, separate volume and gain controls, headphone jack, reverb (digital, but sounds ok up 4 on the knob) and PRICE. Cons: Mushy tone, breaks up too early/not enough clean headroom for my tastes, sounds bad when the attenuators is switched from full 5W to 1W or 0.5W.

I switched out the cheap stock preamp 12AX7 for a JJ 12AU7 for $9 and voila: Completely different beast! Now it is basically ONLY a clean channel amp. Sounds a little creamy at full gain and volume. And it sounds almost like an warm acoustic amp with the gain at 7. It meets my specific needs, but I might experiment and go t a 12AT7 preamp tube. I WILL upgrade the power tube EL84 to either a Groove Tube or a Tung Sol first and go from there.

So the total cost of my setup is under $150 including tax, so that is MY budget amp. Someone here might say go with a Champ 600,Blues Jr, or a Roland Cube, or a Quilter, and they will definitely work and get you what you want under $1,000, which might be “budget” for a pro. But I’ve never paid that much for an amplifier and doubt I ever would as a hobby musician who also has other hobbies to compete for money, like fishing and shooting.
    Last edited by zcostilla; 05-10-2019 at 04:28 AM.

I like my DV little jazz as well.

If I were adding one more little amp, I’d pick up a tweed champ style amp.
    Maybe just build myself one....or get a Victoria...

Never go shopping with me. I just took the budget from a kit to a Victoria. Ha.

User Info Menu

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp. It’s nothing flashy but it sounds great. It has a 1 watt toggle switch for living room use but at 15 watts it gets very loud. It has replaced my other amps at home, rehearsals and gigs. 200 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I own a Fender champion 20 that is SS cost around 100$ new. It can do clean or fat and thick,I run a X 155 arch top with Buckers and it sounds very good thru it. And it also sounds very good useing my strat copy with single coils. And it works with pedals very good also. But ther is no USB or effects loop or deicated foot switch.

User Info Menu

I have a Fender George Benson It's not tiny, but not big either. It's based upon the Blues Junior I believe? Sounds just great, and I never move it, well rarely anyway, so it doesn't have to be tiny.

I think that you can get one from Guitar Center or one of the other big dealers for about $750.00, especially if you're a "regular".
    I believe that it's made outside the USA so that explains the favorable price.

I have/had American made amps too (Rivera Jazz Suprema, Mesa Boogie Lone Star). Different if you know what I mean $$$

User Info Menu

Used Fender Blues Jr. or Princeton. Otherwise use a Boss Microcube direct and it will sound great!

User Info Menu

If you want great tone, you need a 15" speaker, so that ain't gonna be a small amp.

User Info Menu

It's not tube, and it's digital but the Roland Cube 30s sounds amazing for jazz and can be had for nearly nothing.

User Info Menu

The OP never mentioned what he was looking for in terms of tones, but I was shocked to find an Acoustic Image series III Clarus 2R head for under $300. An amazing little guy. On reverb they seem to range between $300-$500. Even the single channel new versions can be had for $600 new. I really like the DV lines. Of course, as mentioned, the Henriksens. As for a combo, I’ve been using a Mesa Rosette, also picked up used for a bit of a steal. Not as light as the others, but utterly beautiful sounding.

User Info Menu

What I've got:

Blackface Vibro Champ - 5 watts, Class A, 8" speaker, all tube PTP. Sweet, clean, classic; eminently recordable. $110 USD back in the late Cretaceous period, and an addition couple hundred tracking down an elusive short (well worth the bucks).

Kustom Tube 12A - 12 watts, tube preamp, 8" Celestion. Warm clean tone for days. Switchable gain and voicing. Versatile tone machine excels in recording environments. $120, tax included. I bought two.

Ibanez TSA5TVR-H - 5 watts, all tube, spring reverb, 8" speaker, footswitchable (optional at extra cost ) Tube Screamer and reverb. Great sounding amp, and cute as a bug. Very versatile tone machine. $400.

Wide-panel Fender Tweed Deluxe. Field cone speaker. Just braggin'.

User Info Menu

I don’t know how small or how cheap, but I have had several friends go out and get a Roland Micro Cube after playing mine. This is not a substitute for a Princeton Reverb or vintage Vox AC30, but it’s the best $100 I’ve spent in a long while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro