The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 187 of 187

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    good post!

but the magnet size and construction stayed the same throughout all versions...only mag strength and winds varied...to compensate for string and amp changes

magnet size is intrinsic to sound, as the window for reaction with strings is much greater

cheers
    Yes, the magnet size is common for all them. That’s why I have wondered the small remakes that many manufacturer offer nowadays. What is there left from the original CC pu? Except outlook?

Of course they too have a blade in the center. But the size and the material of the magnet is different. Most re-makes use Al-ni-co magnets although the originals were ni-co or just co.

But what the heck, if they feel and sound good, they are good!

Have anyone seen an analysis what was THE Charlie Christian’s CC pickup like? Winding, gauge, magnet?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What a long thread on one of my favorite pickups. I've got a few "CC" Pickups, including the TK Smith one. I've also got the CC Pickups version in two variations.

TK SMITH

I'll share some thoughts because people tend to ask me a lot about this. First of all, it's CC in name and looks only. Same as any lollar or biltoft or other designs that don't have the large magnet that hangs from the body. Not a criticism by any means, just calling it what it is. This pickup sounds like a clearer p90, although not even that much like a p90. It's hard to describe the sound of this pickup. It's just really nice. Sounds awesome in a tele.

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_4757-jpg

TK was nice enough to include my demo on his website.

UK CC PICKUPS

The company "CC Pickups" (could have picked a better name) is the only manufacturer that makes these pickups according to the original design. And they do sound different from the other ones (These *actually* sound like a CC Pickup. The others sound like nice single coils). I got this Slaman a few years ago and it originally came with the adjustable pole piece version. It was also wired with 250k pots. I replaced the pots to 500k and then I ultimately ended up switching to the blade version. They sound very similar. The pole piece version is a bit brighter, has less mid range, and is more dynamic. The blade version sounds a bit fuller and is more compressed. The blade version has more of a natural growl.

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_5050-jpg

User Info Menu

My Ibanez, with Lollar CC neck and a Lollar P90 bridge. Currently for sale.

Charlie Christian pickups and other CC style pups... pics please!-img_20200703_140908-jpg

User Info Menu

This is my 1937 Gibson es150. Nothing else I own sounds quite like it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Zephyr690, hats off to you. That is one sweet ES-150. And I see you have an original striped case too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Thanks. I hope so. If Seymour Duncan is ceasing to make them, seems the options for a proper three-screw CC PU is getting to be slim pickings.
    Lollar are still making them:

Charlie Christian for Archtop Guitars: Lollar Pickups

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Doesn't have the cobalt magnet running from the coil to the screws, so it's not going to sound like a CC. The only option on the market is the UK brand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Doesn't have the cobalt magnet running from the coil to the screws, so it's not going to sound like a CC. The only option on the market is the UK brand.
    My mistake-thought you were talking about CC pickups in general. I have to read slower!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    [*]Bass tone boost and cut.
    It’s really just a bass cut, since the cap and resister are out of the circuit when at full rotation.
    I have an old Framus with a bass control wired much like that. I’m not sure if it gives you any tones you couldn’t get with the amp’s bass control, but it might since it will interact with the impedance of the pickup in a way that the amp’s controls can’t.
    Your bass control is also similar to the rhythm switch wiring in vintage DeArmond Rhythm Chief control boxes, except they have a switch in place of your pot, so the bass is all or nothing. A pot is obviously much more versatile.
    (Oops, I just noticed how old this thread is.)
    Last edited by KirkP; 10-09-2020 at 11:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Interesting pickups here... has anyone tried these?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Interesting pickups here... has anyone tried these?

I wanted a p-rail style pickup, ended asking Pete Biltoft ( Vintage Vibe Pickups ) to do me a humbucker sized with 1 single sized Charlie Christian and 1 single sized P90. You can check picture i posted earlier in this thread. I run this pickup with Seymour Duncan Triple Shot, so i can use both coils alone, in parallel or in serie ( humbucker mode ).
    I haven't A/B tested this pickup and P-rail but i'm sure that Pete's pickup is better + you can make it customize to the sound you want, Pete is friendly and his pickup are affordable, I suggest you should contact him

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    It’s really just a bass cut, since the cap and resister are out of the circuit when at full rotation.
    I have an old Framus with a bass control wired much like that. I’m not sure if it gives you any tones you couldn’t get with the amp’s bass control, but it might since it will interact with the impedance of the pickup in a way that the amp’s controls can’t.
    Your bass control is also similar to the rhythm switch wiring in vintage DeArmond Rhythm Chief control boxes, except they have a switch in place of your pot, so the bass is all or nothing. A pot is obviously much more versatile.
    (Oops, I just noticed how old this thread is.)

this sounds interesting, as with my all HBs and flatwounds I constantly feel I need a bass cut (despite of my DV Mark Jazz 12 bass pot is alweys set to zero).

yes this thread is old, but one of the best, I do not know how I did not came across so far, what a collection of cool instruments!