The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 81 of 81

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I did too, until they started to warp. Other forum members posted about this a while ago, but I had no such problem and dismissed their warnings…..until it happened to me.

Apparently, they changed something in the way they make them - material, finish, or who knows what. I was still on an older bag when this started. But as soon as I started a fresh bag, I found myself playing the guitar with small potato chips.
    The Taylor looks to be a ProPlec with a different stamp on it, solely from looking at photos of it. Material and bullnose edge finishing look the same.

I have been using ProPlecs for years without any problems. I have a few 651 pics that have cupped just slightly towards the hot stamp side. Not enough to cause problems, fortunately. Usually I use the 358 size which is small enough that I think warping is probably almost impossible. I keep trying other pics, since this is a cheap way to experiment with different sounds, but always seem to return to the 358 ProPlecs. A kind forum member mailed me about 20 of them, so I think at this point I have a lifetime supply.

I find 351 size picks to be just too large; I prefer to feel the edge of the pic so that I know it’s orientation and movement between my fingers. If the pick is large enough that I can’t feel the edge, I don’t feel like I have good control over it. A Jazz III XL is the upper limit of comfortable size for me. Kind of funny- I am 6’3” and have proportionately sized hands, but I like little bitty picks.

I have some of the Dunlop 204s and the ones with the pointier tips, are those 205s? They’re a nice pick in terms of feel, but they have a little bit more pick noise than I care for. The thing that I like about the ProPlecs is that they have virtually no pick noise at all.

Along those lines, I have some of the Dunlop Adamas carbon picks that I’ve cut down to be roughly Jazz III size; I really like the tone of those but again there’s just a little bit of pick noise I don’t care for on the attack. And that particular pick also seems to generate a little static electricity crackle that I’ve never heard with any other.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sicourtjon
    I believe he used large triangle picks playing down strokes only with his middle, ring and little fingers anchored to the pick guard.
    Definitely down strokes, but then I wonder when he did things like this...

Solo starts at 1:30, the part I wonder about from 1:50 to 2:00.

User Info Menu

Yes, I bought 6 Taylor 651’s. They are very nice indeed however, I reckon they’re made from the same material as Pro Plecs. After playing one for about 10 minute, it started to warp.
    I think the Pro Plecs are a bit warmer than the Taylor’s.
    If you want more warmth, I use a Dunlop Delrin 500 Prime Grip black 2mm modified to a 651 Jazz III shape.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sicourtjon
    Yes, I bought 6 Taylor 651’s. They are very nice indeed however, I reckon they’re made from the same material as Pro Plecs. After playing one for about 10 minute, it started to warp...
    Warping after only 10 minutes? Damn!

joelf Guest
    Glad I stumbled onto this!

The darker, the better for me. Plus, I tend to have too heavy and loud a touch at times and otherwise good recordings have been lessened at times by pick slamming and clicking.

Now I have something new to spend my bottomless war chest on (I'm 'kept' by a woman who doesn't look great, but I call her "baby").

Not...Oops, got mixed up---I don't look great. Old people---we get so confused...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarsnjazz
    This is the absolute best and lightest jazz pic I have ever used and it has no name. It makes every note come alive It is a beveled triangular pick 2.75mm thick and 32 mm long. I will try to put up a pic if I can't I will put up the pic as my profile.
    I find any pick over 2mm thick is suitable only for gypsy jazz. They are too chirpy, clicky and bright for 'regular' archtops.