The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 258

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Dear UPS:

We are all watching how you handle this.

Love,

The Internet

P.S.
    We are on Joe's side.
    Thanks Flat. You definitely meant, Vinny's Side. He's got way more resolve than me. Vinny's an Oak.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ack! Right, Joe! Yes, Vinny! Thanks! Fixed it.

(I guess those horrifying photos of the broken neck knocked the who's-who right out of me.)
    Last edited by Flat; 07-18-2015 at 06:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Any one look into shipping impact stickers for shipping instruments? I wonder if the mere presence of these on a box causes the box to be handled with greater care?

Impact Indicators ? G-Force Monitoring Devices & Accessories - ShockWatch

I have never looked into the details of using these myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Any one look into shipping impact stickers for shipping instruments? I wonder if the mere presence of these on a box causes the box to be handled with greater care?

Impact Indicators ? G-Force Monitoring Devices & Accessories - ShockWatch

I have never looked into the details of using these myself.
    That's brilliant! I'm going to add one to the Mono gig bag I use for plane-side bag check when the overheads are full of cheap-seat oversize "carry-ons" and there's no room in a closet. No idea if it will improve the handling the instrument receives, but it might be good in a damage claim. OTOH, it might make an interesting new game for the handlers - "can you get it into the red in one toss?"; sigh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Me and one of the most respected members on this forum decided to trade guitars. I live on the west coast and he lives on the east. Both guitars were new top of the line Gibson archtops. Both guitars were expertly packed in factory shipping boxes with the upmost care and fully insured with UPS. Both guitars were received damaged. The guitar I received had a broken pickguard and the bridge moved off center scratching the top (repairable). The guitar I shipped was received with the headstock broke off. Many pictures of both guitars were taken before shipping them. Pictures show both guitars in perfect condition. I filed a insurance claim for the destroyed Gibson with UPS. They have denied the claim insisting that since the box has no visible damage I either sent it broken or the receiver broke the guitar after it was delivered. Since I have many guitars I decided I would be the one to take the financial fall on this but I am out some very serious money. I am not savey in legal matters. Can anyone give me any good advice as how to go to battle with this corporate monster to get the insurance money that I paid for the guitar they destroyed ? UPS is treating me like a criminal and not like the total victim that I am. They are telling me that the preship pictures are meaningles to them as we could have taken them anytime. Any advice I would sincerely appreciate.........Vinny
    Just sent you a PM with contact information.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    I'm glad for you. I can attest that there are not many worse feelings then the feeling that comes over you when you open a case, peel back all the careful wrappings and lift one the most beautiful guitars ever - and you see it's head is broken at the neck. If you love guitars, the feeling never quite goes away.
    That is one of my worst nightmare and what kept me from buying any guitar from USA to Canada so far, when I was reading that thread, I felt so bad for you Joe and Vinny, because it is actually my dream guitar and I was doing transposition if It would happen me...I showed that very topic to my understanding wife and she knows how I felt so bad for both of you.
    Despite all that, I still took a gamble lately and I dearly hope USPS and Canada Post will not let me down...

User Info Menu

I know you didn't, Joe.

The Heritage story is plausible since there can be quite a few months between order and shipment, so a store can have a change of heart about the shipment. I don't believe a shop pays anything until receipt. If a guitar is broken, the factory takes it back and won't burden the store with any hassle.

I've never heard of a private buyer breaking a guitar in order to send it back. I suppose it's possible, but with private sales you have no assurance that you'll get your money back. You could end up with a guitar you broke yourself. How stupid is that????

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Martygrass and Archtopheaven
    i assure you in this case, the buyer didn't break the guitar.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Its gonna work out for you Vinlander.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Let us know about your new guitar.
    Thanks Buddy, Joe D.

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    That is one of my worst nightmare and what kept me from buying any guitar from USA to Canada so far, when I was reading that thread, I felt so bad for you Joe and Vinny, because it is actually my dream guitar and I was doing transposition if It would happen me...I showed that very topic to my understanding wife and she knows how I felt so bad for both of you.
    Despite all that, I still took a gamble lately and I dearly hope USPS and Canada Post will not let me down...

User Info Menu

Vinny,

When it comes time to repair the Tal, you may want to sell it as is and keep whatever money you get from UPS.

There are some of us who don't mind a cosmetic defect and would go for a simple headstock repair without renecking it.

I'm guessing that Tal himself wouldn't complain about a repaired headstock. Some professionals' guitars are definitely road worn.

Just a thought.

Thanks Marty !

Except for the broken headstock it is dead mint. I am not going to replace the neck. As headstock breaks go it is a real good one that will repair stronger than new. I am going to offer it up "as is" for $1k or repaired headstock with the neck refinished for $1500.00. Joe has expressed interest in this route. No takers I will give it to my rocker son and try and sway him away from his Metallica and AC/DC ways. His Les Paul has a repaired broken headstock. He is not anal like his old man is. :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks Marty !

Except for the broken headstock it is dead mint. I am not going to replace the neck. As headstock breaks go it is a real good one that will repair stronger than new. I am going to offer it up "as is" for $1k or repaired headstock with the neck refinished for $1500.00. Joe has expressed interest in this route. No takers I will give it to my rocker son and try and sway him away from his Metallica and AC/DC ways. His Les Paul has a repaired broken headstock. He is not anal like his old man is. :-)

Dibs on the cheap Tal

User Info Menu

Boo-boo looks sad. Heartbreaking.. Nice touch taking the pictures with a disk camera from the 70's that was just taken out of the freezer..

That Guitar will be the Star of a video some day. I think, "The Song is You" by Joe Pass.

Joe D

Just quick pics from my iPhone. The song should be Cherokee like Tal played it. Lightning fast. :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks Marty !

How I hate to be broke when a deal like this comes along! I know a guy here in Tallahassee who could fix it and make the break virtually invisible.

User Info Menu

Just quick pics from my iPhone. The song should be Cherokee like Tal played it. Lightning fast. :-)
    You might have to do that one.. JD

User Info Menu

I'm curious - how much to ship a guitar inside the con-USA? I have to send a jazz box from Oregon to Nashville TN. What's a ballpark figure?

$150.00

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregErnstMusic
    I'm curious - how much to ship a guitar inside the con-USA? I have to send a jazz box from Oregon to Nashville TN. What's a ballpark figure?
    If you go to the fedex or ups web sites you can enter the size, weight, value, zip codes, and shipping service (speed) and it will give you a close calculation. There are other smaller factors that will figure in (biz or res, sig, etc), but it's usually pretty close.

User Info Menu

Thanks gentlemen.

Don't forget about the insurance fee that you pay for and if you use UPS it will not be honored if they break your guitar. Be very careful how and who you ship with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregErnstMusic
    Don't go to the Fedex, UPS sites looking for quotes UNTIL you've first registered at fedex.com...takes less than 5 minutes. Once you're registered you're approved to ship your guitars YOURSELF, based on a discounted rate, and not dependent upon paying a mom and pop shipping center at inflated shipping rates.

Costs you on average $80 to $90 to ship an archtop ground shipping, east coast to west coast, insured. Good luck collecting on the insurance as this thread attests to. Depending on the expense of the guitar you're shipping you'll save $70 - $80 shipping it on your own fedex account.

But, if you double box your own guitar, and suspend that case in as much fiberboard as you can, on ALL sides, hence BOTTOM and TOP too, your guitar will on average arrive safely. Use dense foam on the top and bottom...on the bottom give yourself a minimum of 3 inches of insulation between the box and case...give yourself 4-5 inches at the top. Use ordinary cardboard to build rectangular boxes that fit the open space between the external box and the guitar case neck area...you can stuff those now protective boxes with peanuts or bubble wrap or whatever lightweight protective material you choose. It's a lot of work to properly package a guitar for shipment.

Or, you can simply do as the shipper of my last purchase and simply stick the case in an empty guitar box, add nothing but air, and roll your dice

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the informative thread! I picked up my Elferink archtop today at UPS, and had them open it up there so I wouldn't have to go through the op's nightmare. Every thing was fine w/ the guitar itself, but I have to say UPS was a pain in the ass to deal with, since it was an international shipment. A week of delays, plus they sprung a $238 brokerage fee that they would only take a check for no credit card of any kind for!

Friday is the big day at 130pm. Win or lose I will be glad to have this whole nasty situation behind me. I will never forget that day when JD emailed pics of the broken headstock on that wonderful Tal. I almost hurled. I just sat there in disbelief. My next thought was Thank God I insured it with UPS...........WRONG again Vinny.

User Info Menu

Good luck Vinny! Let's hope the judge does the right thing.

User Info Menu

Friday is the big day at 130pm. Win or lose I will be glad to have this whole nasty situation behind me. I will never forget that day when JD emailed pics of the broken headstock on that wonderful Tal. I almost hurled. I just sat there in disbelief. My next thought was Thank God I insured it with UPS...........WRONG again Vinny.
    Win or lose, you're a winner in everyone's eyes here Vinny.
    Joe D