The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 258

User Info Menu

AWESOME! I actually felt my chest swell up for you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very happy for you Vinny!

User Info Menu

Congratulations, that's phenomenal news!

User Info Menu

Would LOVE to see you get a face to face moment with the guy who told you you wouldn't get a cent from them.
    (or whatever it was he said)

User Info Menu

This only my second post on the forum, but I've been following this very closely. I felt a lot of second hand anxiety, but thank god the court ruled on your side, Vinny. I love a good happy ending, especially when it involves a guitar story. This is such a huge win for everyone, but I can't even imagine how over the moon you must be Vinny. Congrats!

User Info Menu

ummm...not to rain on anybodys parade but you still have to collect.

User Info Menu

Once the appeal period runs out, if UPS doesn't pay up, I will help Vinny collect on the judgment. Deep pocketed judgment debtors are no problem.

They can run, but they cannot hide...

Well we can finally put this thread to rest. UPS paid up today. V ​for Victory. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Well we can finally put this thread to rest. UPS paid up today. V ​for Victory. :-)
    Let me be the First..
    Congratulations my man.
    couldnt have happened to a better guy.
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Heartiest congratulations, Vinny! UPS Guitar Shipping Advice

User Info Menu

I never buy a guitar without a high quality hard shell case. When I bought my Conti, I allowed them to delay the shipping for 30 days until they had a hard shell case to ship it in. I don't care how well you pack something, unless you ship FedEx or DHL inside of a hard shell case, inside of a well packed box, you get what you pay for. I've seen UPS cave in a steel casing enclosure used to protect a Cisco 7200 router and deliver the entire package in three separate boxes.

I had my Conti hand carried to my location here in the Phippines. On the way over, the TSA agents destroyed the box that was used to wrap up and protect the guitar and case. They then sent the guitar in the case to Chicago in a new box. When my friend arrived in Manila, he did not have my guitar. I wrote it off. He filed a claim and the airlines found the guitar, had it shipped priority to my house in Tagum. The guitar arrived in the case, no box and without a scratch.

I was amazed that the guitar arrived at all but I knew that the high end hard shell case that I used to ship it would protect it if it did.

I won't buy a quality guitar without a hard shell case. Soft bags are for Fenders.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Vinny! This is a win for the entire musical instrument using community. We thank you!

User Info Menu

Congrats Vinny!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Congrats, Vinny! What happens to the broken TF now? I hope the TF gets repaired and a new lease of life.

On the flip side, I wonder whether UPS will be raising "insurance" premiums now and tightening up their fine print. What new exclusionary clauses will UPS slip in now to ensure that they not lose the next claim?

Any speculation from the legal eagles here? Trying to stay ahead of the shipping game.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 08-09-2015 at 08:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Jabberwocky,

I doubt if this case will change much with UPS. For every guy like Vinny who stands up for himself and fights, there are a dozen wimps who take it in the shorts.

It is just the way things are...and have always been.

Moral of this story is stand up and fight. David beat Goliath and Vinny beat UPS.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Stringswinger;556251]Jabberwocky,

I doubt if this case will change much with UPS. For every guy like Vinny who stands up for himself and fights, there are a dozen wimps who take it in the shorts.

It is just the way things are...and have always been.

Moral of this story is stand up and fight.
    . . . . .David beat Goliath and Vinny beat UPS.
    Yeah . . . well keep in mind that David was originally from New Jersey.

User Info Menu

Vinnyv1k

What a wonderful outcome, hope UPS apologised too!
    You know how pleased everyone here is for you.
    very well done.

Best

No apology but that's OK. UPS lady in court told me "You get nothing". Just wish she had to bring me the check. :-) I think her big mistake was demanding a different judge. The 1st judge was really nice. The 2nd judge even had me scared to death. He had everyone in that court shaking. I am sure the UPS lady went back and said do not appeal this judge's decision. You would be better off jumping into a rattlesnake pit.

Actually the first time the judge made us go out into the hall and to come to a agreed settlement. I was fine with that. When we went into the hallway she told me UPS is not paying me anything. Round 2 in court the judge told us to do the same thing but UPS refused to discuss any type of settlement so we both laid out our cases to the judge. Stringswinger early on told me to take a 50% settlement if offered which I was prepared to do as he knows the law very well. Ended up with 100% plus all my court and serving costs. Stringswinger and goldenwave are the 2 guys that really helped me to win. Hopefully something really nice will come back to them. Big time karma points for them both.

User Info Menu

I am so happy for you Vinny, the best outcome possible in the situation...
    I truly hope Booboo will sing again

JD will make sure of that Vin.

User Info Menu

As a coda to all of this, I just shipped back a guitar that I decided not to keep because it needed significant repairs to play sufficiently well. The seller is an acquaintance, and somebody who reads my blog, and since I said I was looking for a Walnut-backed Broadway, he offered to sell me his for a great price. We agreed on the price, provided he paid shipping to me, and that I had a couple days to check it out, and that I'd pay for shipping it back if I returned it.

Well, he sent it USPS, and it was set to arrive right before I went out of town. Of course, the mailman rings the doorbell during the 5 minutes I went out back to the garage. So to keep from having sit in the post office for week while I was out of town, I had to drive around the neighborhood looking for the postman. And of course, it wasn't our regular guy, so I found three other postmen and the last one eventually helped me track the right one down.

So when I sent it back, I used Fedex. I went to "Kinko's" (I still call them that), and there was only one person working the counter, and the other employee just sort of dicking around, not really doing anything. So, as I'm waiting, four more people walk in behind me and get in line behind me. Now there's 5 people in line, and everyone is giving this do-nothing employee eye-rolls and stink-eyes. So, she finally calls me up to the counter, and deals with me very dismissively. I do my best to be nice, and maybe make her laugh, because I can see she's got 4 more ticked off people to deal with. She offered Fedex ground, which from LA to SF takes 2 days (maybe 3). Guaranteed 2-day would've been more than double, so I went with ground.

Last thing she asks is "what's in the box?" I say, "a guitar". She then asks to open the box. After all the effort I took to pack thing ala the guide on archtop.com: Fine Vintage Instruments Online, I'm not thrilled. So she opens the top, removes the 1st layer protecting the headstock-end of the case, says "oh, you really packed this well," and replaces it before re-sealing the box. I pay, get my receipt, and send the seller the tracking number.

So when I went to check on it two days later, I see the guitar (which was just going LA->SF) is shown as being frigging' MARYLAND. So, then we watch over 7 more days as the guitar gets turned around, and then sent back at a glacial pace through Indiana, Nebraska, Wyoming....

Finally the guitar was set to arrive 8/6/15, and the seller wasn't home until 8pm. At 4pm, we both get emails saying the guitar was delivered and signed for. The seller says he doesn't recognize the name. He checks with all of his neighbors, none of whom signed for the guitar. Finally, the next day, it was mysteriously left at his door step, intact.

So, even if the guitar arrives intact, be careful you don't somehow manage to piss off the shipping employee who takes the package, because I'm convinced there some kind of code she must have put on the label that says, "please jerk this person around as much as possible." The guitar went straight from CA->MD, so it made no sense that they put it on a "whistle-stop tour" of the midwest on it's way back. The final thing of allowing someone who clearly doesn't live at the actual address sign for a package with a stated value of $3k was just the final straw.

So, whatever you do, don't piss off the shipping employees, because I'm not a conspiracy-theory minded person, and I'm convinced there must be someway of designating package to mess with.

Wow !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Booboo has a Dr appointment with the legendary Rolando Orlandoni. He told me he's done 100's of these. He said, and I quote, "when ima duna with a you guitarra, you Cana tula it was ever broka...". I don't know what's more exciting, getting a storied Tal, or having it touched by the legendary Rolando. It's gonna be fun. Rolando is such a gentle man, and a master luthier . Just spending time with Him, you feel like you are in the presence of an angel.
    What do you think Patrick, a bottle of Chianti Classico is in order here? I'll see if I could find the old Palm woven bottle for him.
    Did you already take the guitar up to Ronaldo? If so, then great . . . because you're now asking if you should bring him a bottle of wine, which indicates that you haven't already done so. If not, then please do not bring him a bottle before the work is completed. He will more than likely refuse the bottle and possibly even take offense, thinking you feel it's necessary to offer him the wine to do a great job. My suggestion is to bring him a bottle after the work is completed. I would also suggest only a moderately priced bottle in the $25 - $30 range. Any thing better would be wasted on Ronaldo. He's old school and probably still drinks wine out of an old Welches Grape Jelly glass. Remember those days?? I remember once trying to introduce my father in law (an even stronger Italian accent than Ronaldo's) to a fine wine. I bought a bottle and poured him a glass in a nice stemware wine glass. He looked at the glass an said to me . . . "what the f**ka you tinka I ama . . a priest? Gimme biga glass!!

I haven't seen the break, but, if it's severe, Ronaldo will go the extra mile and actually dowl it before he glues it. With your Tal being a shaded guitar, I can assure you you'll never even notice any evidence of a break and a repair, without the aid of a black light inspection in a dark room.

Let me know when you plan to bring the guitar up to Ronaldo . . I'll try to meet you there.