The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Are there any <22W Valve Jazz amps with 2x 12" speakers?

I had a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, a 22W valve amp.
    Cool, great sounding amp, but very loud for home playing. I could turn the volume to 3, higher means angry/agressive neighbors... I sold it, guy wanted to pay more than I did.

Some years ago I tried a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, a 40W Valve amp. Apparently a very popular Jazz amp here on the forum... But for home really loud, I guess. Or is the Jazz sound good enough for playing at home?
    At that testing moment, the volume was on 3, extremely loud.

I found a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212, but it's a 60W Valve amp, it will really blow out my windows.

A +/-12W-15W Valve amp will be enough for me, because I play only at home.
    I had a Fender Blues Junior, a 15W 1x12" valve amp, very nice sound, but it missed some dynamics.
    It sounded a bit flat, if you understand what I mean.
    A 2x12" has nice dynamics, I tested some amps, but those were high Wattage valve amps, so no good for home playing.

I found only some 1x 12" combo's.

I just like the sound of a valve amp. Reverb from Fender is great, I like it.
    I never tried a Transistor amp at home.
    I don't want to limit myself to an amp like Henriksen that plays just great Jazz music (never tested it, I heard this from you on another forum topic). I like to play Blues sometimes, and 1 amplifier is enough for me.

Do you have experience with this? Tips?

Big thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Why not get a 22W tube head (Fender does one of the DRRI) and add your own 2X12 cab?

I also play a DRRI. But for my solid state rig I've been playing a Raezer's Edge lightweight Twin 8 cab with my Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight, and finding it feeds back less than the stock 12".

User Info Menu

+1 to the head/cab idea. It would be hard to find a lower Watt, 2x12" combo because the trend is for smaller combos, but the combination is a great idea. Don't write off SS amps, though. If you want some dirt for the blues, there's a pedal for that, or check out the Fender Mustang IV.

User Info Menu

The Tone King Metropolitan head & cab could be of interest to you.

User Info Menu

2 x 12" is a lot of paper to move and going to need power to do it. All amps have there sweet spot where the tone and responsiveness wakes up. With tube amps that high level than solid state amps. So what you asking for a lot from one amp and especially tube. That's why a lot of people have a small practice amp and gigging/jamming amp so they can have an amp that at apartment level will get a sound close to what they want.

As others have said a head and multiple cabinets is a good why to go too. For one amp to do it all solid state is more likely to work than tube. For tube get a head and to get 2x12" to sound good they need to be driven.

User Info Menu

What's your budget? And are you looking for something you can find at the local store, or a custom/boutique amp? Lots of good amps out there ...

Hi, my budget is max € 1250. And I'm new to head + cabinets... Never tried it...

Ah ok, I didn't realise the breakup point. But 80% jazz, 20% other stuff at home don't require a break up point. I like low volume sounds, but with enough dynamics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Piler
    Hi, my budget is max € 1250. And I'm new to head + cabinets... Never tried it...
    OK, that's about $1325 USD (not counting any shipping/import fees). I prefer head/cab because it gives me more sound options, depending on the gig.

I'm in the States, and I like custom stuff; for great sound and great prices, I'd look at some of Jim Frenzel's amps (you can get the open chassis, or order with a head-cab): frenzeltubeamps.com - Retro Guitar & Bass Amps His "Deluxe Plus" would be perfect for your needs.

Also in the "great sound, great price" category is Jack Anderson: Anderson Amps His 20W is killer, and with a Master volume, you can get nice sounds at any volume.

I know there are good amps made in England and elsewhere, but I'm less familiar with them.

Have fun!

User Info Menu

It sounds like you need to go smaller rather than bigger. Given your needs and wants, a really good vintage-style Princeton Reverb seems like it would be ideal for you (and they are wonderful sounding amps at low volume levels).

User Info Menu

Princeton Reverb is my idea too. 1x10 is certainly not a 2x12, but the open back 1x10 with great reverb & tremolo makes for a very sweet dimensional sound at quieter volume. Great Amp!

I saw the Princeton, will test it. It has no middle button or master volume control. 12W is enough for home I guess. Thanks for the tip!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Piler
    I saw the Princeton, will test it. It has no middle button or master volume control. 12W is enough for home I guess. Thanks for the tip!
    Just my opinion but to me, master volume controls are really only of use on amps that have a lot of power. They allow you to get the amp to emulate their high volume response without having to get as loud. On the other hand, they generally do change the tonal response at all volume levels and not always for the better. With a lower power amp like a Princeton (especially in a 1x10 configuration), you can just use the volume control to get the amp's responsive level without having to get too loud so a master volume control is not worth the trade off. As for the mid control, the general shape of the tonal curve of blackface and silverface Fender amps is a scoop with tight prominent lows and sparkly highs. If you like the Fender sound, that's part of what's attracting you. You balance that to your taste by adjusting the highs and low to match the mids at a ratio that works for you.

User Info Menu

I love my Princeton -- it is an amazingly sweet sounding amp. It is more than loud enough for playing jazz at home -- loud enough for many a combo too. My only wish is that it did have a mid tone control. My jazz tone usually has the bass & treble set very low -- 1 or 2 -- and it sounds great, but I wouldn't mind a little broader range of control. One thing that surprised me about the Princeton is how nice a touch of Tremolo can be. I wasn't interested in that at all when I bought it, but now that I have it I really like it. A little slow tremolo adds a subtle spacial dimension without altering the clarity. Pretty cool.

User Info Menu

Of all the amp's I've had over the years my Blackface Princeton is the one I'd wish I had kept. Great practice amp and played many gigs and sessions with it.

Hi guys,

I tried several amps today:
    Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Fender Blues Junior, Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue'65 and '68 model.

I was blown away by The Fender Blues Junior Sandy Blonde....
    I had a BJ Tweed years ago and I sold it.

Today I'm a happy man, this little amp is just perfect for me!!!

Thanks for all the help so far.
    Joe

User Info Menu

Good job. It's nice to see someone willing to let go of a preconceived idea and instead have an open mind and do the work to find the right tool for the application.

User Info Menu

You can tame those bigger amps -- Hot Rod/DeVille -- by doing some tube replacements and if necessary, lower efficiency speaker(s).

User Info Menu

Right, change v1 (first tube) from a 12ax7 to a 12au7, 12ay7 or 5751 for less gain and more control over volume.