The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 115

User Info Menu

As a collector of many archtops over 40 years. I am lucky to reside where they are not appreciated as much as the boring Les Pauls and Strats. Here a nice $600. new condition one that was hard to sell here with Craigs List. Not sure of age. Some one in the future will enjoy using this one. Meanwhile (correction) I will preserve this one, and enjoy using my old acoustic types with single pups and old Silvertone 1472 12 watt amp. artb

Aria Pro II Herb Ellis-ariaproii-agg-jpgAria Pro II Herb Ellis-img_6359-jpgAria Pro II Herb Ellis-p1030256a-jpg
    Last edited by artb; 01-30-2015 at 11:04 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a nice Matsumoku-era, Aria Pro II PE-175. They are very nice playing guitars. Some of them feature an unusual feature--a sound post under the treble side of the bridge, between the top and back of the guitar. It's a violin family of instruments feature.

I don't know if it does anything on a guitar. On a violin, viola, cello, or bass, the effect is to couple the top and back. The difference between an instrument with and without the sound post is a considerable amount of acoustic volume. Since the guitar is not bowed, I don't know what the post does or doesn't do.

What I _do_ know is that the PE-175 sounds and plays great.

User Info Menu

I think they are made in Japan probably by Fujijen Gakki, Fujijen Gakki make solid spruce arched top guitars for companys. Although Aria still have some factorys in Japan. Aria guitars used to be made in Japan by Matsumoku who went out of business in 1987 and Aria opened their own factorys ,Aria shifted some of their manufacture to Korea and China. Matsumoku made Epihone guitars for Gibson from the early 1970's until around 1986 when Gibson shifted production to other companys and Korea. Matsumoku were one of the first guitar makers to use CNC mills and routers.
    Last edited by Para; 01-28-2015 at 03:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Aria are having their Japanese guitars made out of Terada. My D'aquisto was made there.

User Info Menu

I INC they are about 8 lbs. That's not any heavier than many an L5CES.

User Info Menu

Yes. Terada now. Excellent, but I play the Matsumoku instruments. Those early lawsuit era guitars were a good kick in the pants for Gibson when Norlin was learning about the music biz.

User Info Menu

jack: guys like you make this a fine forum. THANKS for great description. artb

I agree JOE PASS similar quality. looks basically identical. NO?
    Attached Images Attached Images Aria Pro II Herb Ellis-epi-joepass-4-jpg 
    Last edited by artb; 01-30-2015 at 11:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks artb.The japanese guitars from the 1970s and 1980s were very good, but the Herb Ellis is one of the best of the best. However, unlike the Ibanez George Benson, it is still somewhat affordable for a vintage one in great condition. I think it is because it remains relatively unknown instrument.

User Info Menu

Does anyone out there know about the stock pickups from an early 80's Aria Pro II Herb Ellis PE 175? I'm considering one. I have heard lots of positives regarding the model in general. Made in Japan I believe. I searched through a few threads.

Any info would be greatly appreciated especially typical neck carves, and, as mentioned, the stock pickups. I'm not looking for any projects. It is supposedly in very good stock condition. I'll do more research later, currently busy working. It just occurred to me I don't even know the neck scale.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

The pickups were made by Maxon and are very good. The Arias don’t sound much like Herb’s 175, but they are superb bebop guitars. They are much closer to a modern build ES-175 and are actually quite close to those heavier built 175s. I’ve had several pass through my hands and the necks seem to have an extremely consistent carve which as I remember, feels just a little thinner than Gibson guitars from the same era.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that info ThatRythmMan I had some time over lunch to research a little. I saw an old for sale ad from you actually as well as a review from JZucker. Small world eh? Thanks again.

User Info Menu

JZ and I have probably handled more of these guitars than just about anyone.

User Info Menu

The Aria Pro II PE 175 “Herb Ellis” model features a laminated maple body, crème body binding, two bound f-holes, mahogany neck, 20-fret bound ebony fingerboard with split square inlays, three-per-side tuners, rosewood-based adjustable bridge, engraved “Pro II” tailpiece, layered black pickguard with “H.E.” initials, two covered AL7 humbucker pickups, four knobs (two Volume, two Tone), three-way pickup switch, gold hardware and Sunburst finish.

Here's a video of mine. I've at least 7 of these. Great guitars.

here's a video of one of them I did a couple years ago. I think this is generally the kind of tone you can expect out of them.

User Info Menu

The head stock reminds me of a Heritage head stock with horns. Thanks for those specs and info. I may pursue this one. $900 maybe a little less.
    Last edited by 73Fender; 07-26-2018 at 07:03 PM.

the aria factory is great. They make guitars for a lot of high end makers in the USA

User Info Menu

who do they make for, Jack?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    the aria factory is great. They make guitars for a lot of high end makers in the USA
    Really? This one is from the Matsumoku factory. Same one I assume.

User Info Menu

The PE-175s were made by Matsumoku. Matsumoku went out of business around 1987, but Aria continued on, supposedly using some of their own facilities. Around that time, they started shifting production to plants in Korea for some of their guitars.

User Info Menu

Gary (GNAPPI) is right on. The Matsumoku-made PE-175 Herb Ellis guitars need nothing. The Maxon pickups sound GREAT. The tuning gears Matsumoku used are perfect. The tailpiece is a great replica of the L-5CES tailpiece. The bridge is also quite good.

The neck carve is outstanding. Finally, the sound of the guitar, as Jack Zucker attests, is outstanding.

I saw Herb Ellis perform with this guitar and, later--after things fell apart with his Aria endorsement deal--with his '53 Gibson ES-175 (which he let me play, by the way). Both guitars sounded amazing in his hands. Jack's observation that the PE sounds like a more contemporary ES-175 is accurate, IMO.

FWIW, I think the PE-175 and PE-180 are two of the best jazz archtops out there. People on this forum own both the Aria and Gibsons and _keep_ both.

User Info Menu

Thanks again guys. I had time to search the web and most of the info was from this forum or from blogs and for sale posts elsewhere from members here so thanks very much. This site is a wonderful source at many levels.

I already have an ES 175 VOS 59 which I like. Redundancy has crossed my mind but at a good price, there is not much to lose and I am very curious at this point. Also these have a metal bridge on RW base so that is a different vibe. I briefly had a 175 with that set up (had to return it) and liked it a lot other than the issues it had.

We'll see what transpires but no matter what, I now know to watch for these older MIJ guitars.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Should there be a label in the f hole area? It looks like the right era from the 2 blurry pics. Has the HR pick guard and fret inlay. It is a local estate sale. I'll look for a s/n dater on the web.

User Info Menu

There is usually an Aria label, but I have seen some without. I wouldn't worry. Nobody was copying Arias.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Something that I noticed on one of these is that it had a different serial number on the label versus the headstock.