The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by r3son8trbluz
    I purchased mine new from Golden Age Fretted Instruments.
    Golden Age has quite a bit of nice stuff.

Regards,

Rick

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I also had a GCS1 burst (perhaps the one in the OP's photo as I got it from Music Emporium), and it was a very well made, and very nice sounding guitar. I wound up selling it to help fund the purchase of a Guild GSR Starfire VI. At its price point the Comins GCS1 is a great value and can cover a wide range of musical styles.
    Last edited by snoskier63; 04-20-2015 at 09:29 AM.

User Info Menu

These are generally in the 7.5 - 9 lb range aren't they?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleboli
    These are generally in the 7.5 - 9 lb range aren't they?
    Per specs avg weight is 7.5 lbs, +/- 6% (0.45 lbs).

Mine feels very light, much lighter than a 335.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. 7.5 = manageable. 8 plus etc., not so much.

I weighed mine today, 6 lbs 15oz.

User Info Menu

Thread reincarnation!

Several in this thread mentioned purchasing the GCS-1 close-in-time from the date you made a post about it. Now that several months have passed, and the honeymoon phase is over, have your impressions changed about the GCS-1? Any flaws or shortcomings that didn't appear until later? Conversely, did you notice any pleasant surprises that endear the GCS-1 that you didn't notice before?

Any and all feedback is much appreciated!

I'm still in the honeymoon. It's an outstanding instrument. A truly comfortable f-hole guitar that has great sounding electronics and sets up extremely well. It sounds fantastic through my various amps and pushes me to be a better player. Some days I feel like I miss a narrower nut width, but that's a very personal thing -- so I play my teles and pointy headstock guitars. No fault of the Comins though. I can't recommend one enough.

User Info Menu

I've had it for about 16 months, playing regularly on it. Early on one of the knobs became scratchy, but was easily dealt with spray contact cleaner. Other than that it's been problem free, and a real pleasure to play. There's really nothing to say other than it plays really well, and sounds and feels great. For what it's worth, it sounds great with a little overdrive as well.

GCS-1 -> Empress Compressor -> EHX Soul Food -> Eventide H9 -> TC Electronics Ditto X2 -> Peavey Classic 30.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Smashies
    Thread reincarnation!

Several in this thread mentioned purchasing the GCS-1 close-in-time from the date you made a post about it. Now that several months have passed, and the honeymoon phase is over, have your impressions changed about the GCS-1? Any flaws or shortcomings that didn't appear until later? Conversely, did you notice any pleasant surprises that endear the GCS-1 that you didn't notice before?

Any and all feedback is much appreciated!
    I don't see too many popping up used, so that's probably a good sign.

User Info Menu

Has anyone had a chance to A/B a Comins GCS-1 with a D'Angelico EX-SS? If not A/B back-to-back, has anyone at least tried both, regardless of time between trying each?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Smashies
    Has anyone had a chance to A/B a Comins GCS-1 with a D'Angelico EX-SS? If not A/B back-to-back, has anyone at least tried both, regardless of time between trying each?
    I hope it is okay to give this thread a bump. I've not had any success finding a GCS-1 in a Left-handed model. Does anyone have any insight on the possibility of getting one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I had to resurrect this thread, I got a blonde model used a couple months ago, and it is a very fine instrument, I used to have the voodoo pickups in a former guitar and they are great... I also ended up with an Ibanez AS180 around the same time, and it's also killer, I really should get rid of one or the other, but I put .12s on the comins and .10s on the Ibanez so one is more for jazz and the other is more rock... the comins is built very very well and has great tone, the ibanez may have a bit more mojo for me... but for the prices used i feel like i did good!!!

User Info Menu

I picked one up used a couple months ago, i'm quite happy with it.. i put .12s on it roundwound, it had .13s but my hands are old and get sore easily... mine has a soft v neck which is super comfortable, it's really well made ... however i also have an ibanez as180 which is much more versatile.... so I don't know if i'll keep it a long time... I have a Fralin p92 pickup that I've been thinking about putting in there for a while now, but we will see, i tend to not use the coil split a ton

User Info Menu

I've had mine for several months now.

It arrived with absolutely perfect setup and great sound.

I then proceeded to screw that up because I need lighter strings for arthritic hands.

After I messed with it, I couldn't quite tame some sizzle from the E and B strings -- except by turning down the treble or picking lightly. This may be my craziness - I have the exact same issue with other guitars.

With the treble turned down it has a dark, but not at all dull, sound which I love and, in fact, is why I bought the guitar. The upper register (E string 10th to 22nd fret -- and I use that D) sounds so thick that, at times, I can't tell if I have my harmonizer (set to add a note an octave down) on. It's great.

It is the sound that Jack Wilkins got when I first heard the guitar. I was concerned that the sound was in Jack, not the guitar, but, in fact, that's the way the guitar sounds. And, of course, it sounds terrific when Jack plays it.

An aside: I have a 2009 or so D'A EXDC which I read that Bill Comins designed. Also a nice guitar. Bill told me that the guitars are not the same. I didn't get any detail, but my impression is that the designs are very different. One area of commonality is that thick upper register -- although the D'A eventually lost some of that thickness, presumably due to fret wear. They both have Kent Armstrong pickups but I'd be surprised if the pickups are identical.

(EDIT 2 YEARs LATER - The sizzle went away for some reason and the guitar is great.)
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 12-18-2020 at 11:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a natural es model purchased through Anthony Lattanze and I haven't played my Heritage 550 or my ES 165 much lately - and they are both great guitars. I play in an 11 piece jazz band and the smaller profile is great for the crowded space I'm in. Pickups are just fine. Came out of the box singing and set up by Bill himself. Really pleased with the price point and quality. A great buy.

User Info Menu

Has anyone A/B'ed the 1 vs the 1ES?

User Info Menu

The GCS1 is a really nice git.

I wanted to try one for a long time to have a semi with smaller sized body than the Gibson 16" 3xx models. I got to play the GCS1 for the first time recently. It played like butter, and (this is a compliment) other than it being a single cut it played and sounded just about as close to my Heritage Prospect as I could get.

I'm still mulling over buying it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've had mine for several months now.

It arrived with absolutely perfect setup and great sound.

I then proceeded to screw that up because I need lighter strings for arthritic hands.

After I messed with it, I couldn't quite tame some sizzle from the E and B strings -- except by turning down the treble or picking lightly. This may be my craziness - I have the exact same issue with other guitars.

With the treble turned down it has a dark, but not at all dull, sound which I love and, in fact, is why I bought the guitar. The upper register (E string 10th to 22nd fret -- and I use that D) sounds so thick that, at times, I can't tell if I have my harmonizer (set to add a note an octave down) on. It's great.

It is the sound that Jack Wilkins got when I first heard the guitar. I was concerned that the sound was in Jack, not the guitar, but, in fact, that's the way the guitar sounds. And, of course, it sounds terrific when Jack plays it.

An aside: I have a 2009 or so D'A EXDC which I read that Bill Comins designed. Also a nice guitar. Bill told me that the guitars are not the same. I didn't get any detail, but my impression is that the designs are very different. One area of commonality is that thick upper register -- although the D'A eventually lost some of that thickness, presumably due to fret wear. They both have Kent Armstrong pickups but I'd be surprised if the pickups are identical.
    It seems like the one I have really loves .13s I never had a guitar play so well with flat .13s
    actually I never really used flats before, i am trying to get mine working well with .12 rounds for versatility and to ease the tension a bit... i haven't finished adjusting it yet, but i can't imagine it wouldn't be great with .11s either... I may take it to a luthier, because I want to stick some Seth Lovers in it... I never use the split coils, and i love SL in a hollow guitar

User Info Menu

I love my GCS-1. It had an immaculate setup right out of the box. I was able to get mine directly from Bill Comins. Very versatile with, as a Collings artist friend of mine said, has great character. I run 11's on mine which for what I play sound great. YMMV

User Info Menu

that's good to know, plain G or wound?
    I don't think I will go below .12s, because this guitar just loves fat strings
    This is one of the better guitars I've owned

User Info Menu

Plain G..... 11-49 D'Addario's. This is the gauge he ships them with.

User Info Menu

Hi to all. How are you? I bought an pre owned GCS 1 ES and I wonder if you can recommend me a good quality and lighter gig bag/softcase and model for it. Reunion Blues? Mono?

Thanks!