The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59

User Info Menu

This product has come up tangentially in a few other threads and some comments have gotten me interested (especially after watching Mimi Fox use one in her videos). I'd really like to hear from anyone who has first hand experience. Which size are you using? Which leg are you using it on? Which guitar are you using it with? Any info based on experience would be appreciated.

For those who are unfamiliar with the product, here's a link to product info from the company that makes it.

Dynarette Guitar Support Cushion

And here's a look at Mimi using hers (the smaller size)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

It's better than nothing for right leg for me. I prefer something like an a-frame and I've gotten to where I mostly use that for right leg as well. dynarette kind of slides around and irritates me. But you can pull it out of the bag for a lesson or something and it's ready to go. Body depth of the instrument isn't as much of an issue either. Probably a personal preference thing. You may just have to try one out.

User Info Menu

Is this the product you're talking about?

https://www.stringsbymail.com/a-fram...port-4575.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    This product has come up tangentially in a few other threads and some comments have gotten me interested (especially after watching Mimi Fox use one in her videos). I'd really like to hear from anyone who has first hand experience. Which size are you using? Which leg are you using it on? Which guitar are you using it with? Any info based on experience would be appreciated.

For those who are unfamiliar with the product, here's a link to product info from the company that makes it.

Dynarette Guitar Support Cushion

And here's a look at Mimi using hers (the smaller size)

I have the larger size, I use it mostly for my full size classical on the left thigh. Otherwise, I tend to alternate between straps and this for the smaller bodied guitars (which tend to make the cushion slide).

User Info Menu

I have the Dynarette and love it. Initially, I went for the large, figuring that I'm a large guy, so.... But my guitar ain't so large, so it sat up a little high on the large cushion (-for me.) So I got a small one and use it all the time.

No strap, no back strain, both feet on the floor all the time, and the guitar is always in the same place.

(By the way, I wrote to Mimi Fox about the cushion because I knew she used one. She kindly responded.)

Ideally, it would be best to go somewhere that sells them and try both sizes to see which one suits you. But that wasn't an option for me. I got mine from Strings by Mail.

User Info Menu

I got the large size a while ago, used on left leg for 'classical' posture. It was better than a footstool for my back. The cusion can slide a bit but it does have a rubber strip to help stop it moving on your leg.

Lately though I've been resting my guitar , no cushion, on my right leg, crossed over the left for a more relaxed feel. Looks like the small size works on the right leg for Mimi anyways. Maybe I'll try it out.

User Info Menu

I have both the large and the small. I've found that which cushion I use depends on the guitar. Mostly on the right leg, but for a nylon string, on the left.

User Info Menu

I have one which I like for 16" guitars, or sometimes I will use it with a flat top acoustic. It keeps me from being so hunched over. I now use a 17" guitar which I don't need a cushion for and it's much more comfortable for me.

User Info Menu

i use the large size on right leg for archtop and classical playing. (i'm R.H.)

i have left shoulder and back probs and it helps a lot.

the product is made very well and lasts, comes with cover bag.

i'll switch between using it and crossing my right leg or
    doing the thing where you use your left foot turned to the side as a footstool.

Is this the product you're talking about?

https://www.stringsbymail.com/a-fram...port-4575.html
    Yeah. I use it on my acoustics. I don't guess it would work with shallower body depths?

User Info Menu

I sometimes use one with my archtop and another neck heavy guitar(Ibanez Artist).
    I had a gig playing 3 hours non stop 5 days a week, that's when I got it to keep my posture together.
    Sometimes playing sitting down with a strap on the guitar, I find I raise my left shoulder for no reason and that causes tension. It is slightly less efficient with thin guitars IMO.

User Info Menu

I've got thousands of dollars tied up in guitars and my cheap ass uses a rolled up towel. Pathetic..
    this looks one of those "best money I've ever spent" deals. Thanks for pointing this out. Good one.
    Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 02-23-2015 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

yeah before i got the Dynarette,
    i used a rolled up towel in a sock -
    it works, just too ghetto for gigs

User Info Menu

Here's a video comparison of several guitar supports for classical guitars. I've ordered a Flanger FA 80 from Amazon, which seems to be the same as the Oasis mentioned in the video (but cheaper). Not thrilled about the suction cup - we'll see...

User Info Menu

After input from several sources and some very savvy advise from a dealer, I ordered the large size Dynarette today. Thanks to all.

User Info Menu

After input from several sources and some very savvy advise from a dealer, I ordered the large size Dynarette today. Thanks to all.
    Let us know what you think of it. (Give it a few days before you decide. It can take a little getting used to simply because it's new and different.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Let us know what you think of it. (Give it a few days before you decide. It can take a little getting used to simply because it's new and different.)
    I've been using it for about 10 days now and I love it. On my stool, I use it in conjunction with a foot rest at the lowest setting. On a regular chair, I use it on it's own. In both situations it works brilliantly. It's been a real joy to be able to play for a long time with no weight hanging from my shoulder and always have the guitar in a good playing position. I view this as money well spent and really worthwhile tool.

User Info Menu

I've been using it for about 10 days now and I love it. On my stool, I use it in conjunction with a foot rest at the lowest setting. On a regular chair, I use it on it's own. In both situations it works brilliantly. It's been a real joy to be able to play for a long time with no weight hanging from my shoulder and always have the guitar in a good playing position. I view this as money well spent and really worthwhile tool.
    Great! I'm glad to hear you feel that way about it. I think mine's going to be with me from now on.

User Info Menu

Dynarette Cushion guitar support ... experiences?-dynarette2-800-jpg

User Info Menu

I ordered a large and found it to be too tall. So I used a used a sharp, serrated-edge bread knife to cut the foam into 2/3 -- 1/3 pieces so I now have a three different sizes. 1/3, 2/3 and 1/3+2/3. The cover does not look great with the smaller sizes but works just fine. So, if you find the size does not work for you don't be afraid to experiment a little.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonedeaf
    I ordered a large and found it to be too tall. So I used a used a sharp, serrated-edge bread knife to cut the foam into 2/3 -- 1/3 pieces so I now have a three different sizes. 1/3, 2/3 and 1/3+2/3. The cover does not look great with the smaller sizes but works just fine. So, if you find the size does not work for you don't be afraid to experiment a little.
    With my 16" Archtop, the large puts the guitar almost exactly where I had it with a strap. Anything smaller and I think I'd be tempted to slouch over the guitar too much (which is exactly what I'm trying to prevent)

User Info Menu

I picked up on this thread a little late (today) but I'll comment anyway. I'm always looking for ways to improve my comfort and ease of playing, with hopes of avoiding injury and extending my bodies useful guitar life. So, about two months ago, I was in the Rosewood Guitar in Seattle, and saw one of the guys there using it and asked about it. I was actually looking at some of the foot stools, but when he talked about the Dynarette, he said he didn't need a foot stool when he used it, and then mentioned a list of famous guitarist that used them. And, he being a concert classical guitarist, and the shop a pretty reputable shop, I decided to buy one. I've used it some, primarily when I play my classical guitar. With the 17" archtops, it's too much for me, being a small guy to begin with. That's my experience. I'm glad I bought and I use it with my classical guitar, which I play quite a bit these days.

User Info Menu

I think that for a 17" guitar, I would need to go to the smaller size. The large works for me for my 16" Heritage but it's right near the size limit.

User Info Menu

I have one of each size.

For those playing hollowbodies, much of the weight on the shoulder when using a strap comes from your dominant arm. So the 6 lbs from the guitar can be easily doubled.

The Dynarette puts all of the stress on your leg.

There is a trade off. It can take a while to fully adapt to the new position of the guitar. And that position will change if you sit in a different height chair. It also looks goofy. But for most of us, it works well.

User Info Menu

To bring back this dormant thread...

I've been using the large size Dynarette for the past few months, with a variety of guitars (mostly 16" and 17"). I really like the idea, especially because I like to play in more or less the classical position, and in general it works very well, once you get used to it. The two things I've encountered are:

- The Dynarette can move around a bit on your leg, depending on how the guitar sits on it. You have to learn how to position it, and balance the weight of the guitar, then it keeps pretty stable.

- The top part (that touches the guitar) is angled, but I often want to have the guitar at a bigger angle (not so straight vertically), which means balancing the guitar waist at a bit of an angle on the cushion. Works with some guitars, not so well with others.

Previously, I usually used a footstool (or guitar case) to raise my left foot. I never had problems because of doing so, but with the Dynarette the feeling of having both feet on the ground is both more comfortable and seems more stable.