The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hi forums:
    Am curious about tiny amps, especially tube. I've done a little reading up; I know about the Yamaha THR "modeling" amps, and they're not bad for what they are, but not tube. There are a few articles on "micro" amps on the web, but they tend to be rock-oriented, and not very up-to-date. There are the Vintage47s which look intriguing, but their website seems somewhat out of date.

Does anyone have suggestions of amps (or review articles)? I mean really small, like bookshelf or desktop. I have a Fender Vibrolux and an acoustic amp so don't need any more large things. But I would also like a quality sound. Anything new out there? Ideally, something that I could run an output into a P.A. system if I want the tube sound for live performance. (Also, ideally, not too expensive: who wants to spend $500 on a micro practice amp? So, yeah, I want to get the cake and eat it.)

thanks
    Last edited by NY-London; 02-21-2015 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added comment about cost

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think a "bookshelf" amp for practicing will be different than a small, "giggable" amp with quality sound (for not much money), so you're kind of talking about two amps. For gigging, though, you can always get a good tube pre-amp (i.e., Frenzel) and use the line out into the PA.

User Info Menu

5 watt Fender Vibrochamp would fit the bill nicely. They made it a few years ago, but I don't think they are still in production. Quite a few little 5 watt tube amps out there actually . . .

The Laney Cub 10

10 watts of tube power into a 10" speaker. Very compact and they run for less than $200 or so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NY-London
    Hi forums:
    Am curious about tiny amps, especially tube. I've done a little reading up; I know about the Yamaha THR "modeling" amps, and they're not bad for what they are, but not tube. There are a few articles on "micro" amps on the web, but they tend to be rock-oriented, and not very up-to-date. There are the Vintage47s which look intriguing, but their website seems somewhat out of date.

Does anyone have suggestions of amps (or review articles)? I mean really small, like bookshelf or desktop. I have a Fender Vibrolux and an acoustic amp so don't need any more large things. But I would also like a quality sound. Anything new out there? Ideally, something that I could run an output into a P.A. system if I want the tube sound for live performance. (Also, ideally, not too expensive: who wants to spend $500 on a micro practice amp? So, yeah, I want to get the cake and eat it.)

thanks
    Vox AC4

Blackheart Killer Ant

used not cheap

larger but might have better head room

Demeter Mighty Minnie is too expensive but looks very good.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Yes, I was thinking 5 or 10 Watts. I had checked out the Vox AC4 but it seemed to sound rather rock-ish in the video I saw. I did like that you could go down to 1/4 Watt! (I think that's the one).

Will check out these other great suggestions too!

[QUOTE=OldGuitarPlayer;504466]The Laney Cub 10

10 watts of tube power into a 10" speaker. Very compact and they run for less than $200 or so.

That seems about right! A bit on the 'thin' side I suppose, but at that price and size -- looks great.
    Last edited by NY-London; 02-22-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: removed the redundant video clip

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I think a "bookshelf" amp for practicing will be different than a small, "giggable" amp with quality sound (for not much money), so you're kind of talking about two amps. For gigging, though, you can always get a good tube pre-amp (i.e., Frenzel) and use the line out into the PA.
    Thanks, yes a tube pre for gigging is a good idea. In this case, it's more for practice/rehearsals in small combo (university) and will stay in one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Vox AC4

Blackheart Killer Ant

used not cheap

larger but might have better head room

Thanks -- great ideas

User Info Menu

Also check out the VHT Special 6. Very popular here--and elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Fan
    Also check out the VHT Special 6. Very popular here--and elsewhere!
    Thanks! Impressive rock sound in the videos I checked out. I'm using an arch top so looking for for the warmth of tubes and not as much of the distortion that these amps seem to specialize in (although if I ever break out my Strat again for some rock, it's nice to have it as an option). Presumably, I can just not use the high gain settings, but in any case, interested in a fat(ish) jazz sound.

Sounds pretty good here:

Any thoughts on this 1 Watt amp?!

HT-1R Combo Guitar Amplifier - Blackstar

It seems that if it has only 1 W, it would distort too readily for jazz.

User Info Menu

Thanks! Impressive rock sound in the videos I checked out. I'm using an arch top so looking for for the warmth of tubes and not as much of the distortion that these amps seem to specialize in (although if I ever break out my Strat again for some rock, it's nice to have it as an option). Presumably, I can just not use the high gain settings, but in any case, interested in a fat(ish) jazz sound.
    The VHT Special 6 is popular on this forum for its jazz tone. It's probably similar to the Laney in that regard--handles the rock and blues tones, but also does well with warm, clean jazz tones. If you do a thread title search for "VHT Special 6," you'll find several threads on it here, as well as some more videos of it used in a jazz context (with archtops) such as these:

Last edited by Wes Fan; 02-21-2015 at 04:56 PM.

[QUOTE=Wes Fan;504575]The VHT Special 6 is popular on this forum for its jazz tone. It's probably similar to the Laney in that regard--handles the rock and blues tones, but also does well with warm, clean jazz tones. If you do a thread title search for "VHT Special 6," you'll find several threads on it here, as well as some more videos of it used in a jazz context (with archtops) such as these:

Thanks!
    Last edited by NY-London; 02-22-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: removed the redundant YouTube clips

User Info Menu

I think separate is better too. Unless you try a nice Frenzel head. I use a Fender Champion 600 for a tube, home practice amp. The circuit is essentially a Fender Champ (blackface and silverface) but without a tone knob. The Vht Special 6 is essentially a Champ too.

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    I think separate is better too. Unless you try a nice Frenzel head. I use a Fender Champion 600 for a tube, home practice amp. The circuit is essentially a Fender Champ (blackface and silverface) but without a tone knob. The Vht Special 6 is essentially a Champ too.
    Thanks hallpass. As in, just get a small tube head (which I could also run into a P.A.) and have a small cabinet for studio/rehearsals?

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Vox AC4

Oh my, that Mighty Minnie is nice. At 5 lbs., fairly easy to cart around. Yes, quite expensive! Also probably way more power than I'll ever need, but the headroom gives that extra round, punchy warmth. The audio samples on their web page sound great.

User Info Menu

Thanks hallpass. As in, just get a small tube head (which I could also run into a P.A.) and have a small cabinet for studio/rehearsals?
    Right, a small tube head if you want to use the same amp for gigs and home practice. You can then match with different sized cabinets. The Frenzel heads have a line out I believe, though most tube amps sound better miked than direct. My Frenzel head is 15lbs and with 6l6 it's 40 watts, much less with 6v6. Then I have a 1x12 cab now and a 1x8 cab coming soon to me.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 02-22-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Right, a small tube head if you want to use the same amp for gigs and home practice. You can then match with different sized cabinets. The Frenzel heads have a line out I believe, though most tube amps sound better miked than direct. My Frenzel head is 15lbs and with 6l6 it's 40 watts, much less with 6v6. Then I have a 1x12 cab now and a 1x8 cab coming soon to me.
    Like this one? https://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page4.php

Presumably you need the 'cage' as well if you're gigging with it. Looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the tip. I see they also have 5 and 10 W models.
    Last edited by NY-London; 02-22-2015 at 12:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Like this one? https://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page4.php

Presumably you need the 'cage' as well if you're gigging with it. Looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the tip. I see they also have 5 and 10 W models.
    Exactly. Marcwhy who replied above has a Frenzel too. Mine has the cage and a couple of the options but I found it used. Great values eitherway. There's other companies who make small tube heads too...mesa, vox, carvin.

Exactly. Marcwhy who replied above has a Frenzel too. Mine has the cage and a couple of the options but I found it used. Great values eitherway. There's other companies who make small tube heads too...mesa, vox, carvin.
    Cool, well, as often happens with such inquiries, I started out asking about one thing and am now thinking about something different (a head), which is in a way what's supposed to happen as one gets more informed. I checked out the small Mesa head too. All quite promising, but used would be ideal, if possible. Thanks again.

By the way, which Frenzels do you and Marcwhy have, if I might ask? (Too many choices!) While I want small and portable, if I am thinking of occasionally gigging with it, I guess one needs a certain amount of headroom for a warm, clean, non-rock sound, yes?
    Last edited by NY-London; 02-23-2015 at 05:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Cool, well, as often happens with such inquiries, I started out asking about one thing and am now thinking about something different (a head), which is in a way what's supposed to happen as one gets more informed. I checked out the small Mesa head too. All quite promising, but used would be ideal, if possible. Thanks again.

By the way, which Frenzels do you and Marcwhy have, if I might ask? (Too many choices!) While I want small and portable, if I am thinking of occasionally gigging with it, I guess one needs a certain amount of headroom for a warm, clean, non-rock sound, yes?
    I have a FM5E3-40, which is a 40 watt version of the FM5E3 "Deluxe Plus" that is normally 25 watts. I found it used and the original buyer must have added custom options like the higher power, an effects loop, and a 4/8/16 speaker selector. I believe you can still add these options if you correspond over email and what not with Frenzel. Mine is great for portability and power, because 40 tube watts (with the 6L6) will cover anything I'd need and it's only 15lbs. I found a Tech 21 gigbag that they make for theit TM10/TM30 combo amp that I use to tote it around (along with cables and a reverb pedal).

I think MarcWhy has a "Super Deluxe w/ Reverb" (frenzeltubeamps.com - Super Deluxe Reverb). He's been a Frenzel user longer than me and was helpful when I was asking him questions about them.