The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi
    I'm new to this site.. I'm french so don't get chocked if my english get quite funky at times!
    As you can see in the title, I'd like to have comments if you've had the chance to try and compre these 2 guitars.

I've tried the Eastman and I was quite impressed except for the fact (personnal opinion) that the nut is a bit too wide for me (1 3/4). In that departement I'm better with the Epiphone.

As a matter of fact, I would have bought the Eastman in a breeze without that.
    Problem is I'd really like to try the Epiphone to compare if the Eastmans nut width is really a dealbreaker for me.
    The other thing that's giving me a hard choice is the Epiphones pickups, Paf us 57', that really appeal to me.

And for a little more open question, for a maximum of 1500€ i'd like to find the great Es175 clone, but thid pricing seems just in the akward position : not enough to get a high end, and over the medium levelled instruments..

there's a 1998 used Heritage H575 not too far from my place (too far for me to try it though), it's in great shape, but it's 2000€... kind of scares me to put such an amount of money.
    I've lately found a 81' AS200 for 850€ that needed about 300€ of luthier work (fret change, nut, pots and things), but that was an exceptionnal deal (one in a life perhaps)

Thanks in advance
    Rodolphe

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyone tried the new Guilds?
    The CE 100 and X-175 with Bigsby..
    Not too common and they seem really nice potential alternatives?
    So much guitars to choose from out there!
    The Guilds are interesting..

User Info Menu

Where do you from in France ? There's no eastman dealers next to me here in Tours...

User Info Menu

I own both AR371 & Epi 175 premium. The Epiphone gets my vote.

User Info Menu

I tried one (Ar 371)in Limoges. There was only one, and it seemed to be one of the first produced. Kind of greenish burst, no binding on the pickguard, the strings where horrible, the action was really high..
    In a few seconds I managed to lower the action really low just by levering down the screws on the bridge.
    And it played very well, great dynamic thump with palm muting 7th chords..
    I just imagine the feel with proper 012 strings thru a tube amp with a bit of reverb.. really stunned me.
    Except for "that" nut width on a slim and quite large neck..
    I don't really cope with it. Of course I could on the long run, but I'd just like to be able to try the Epi just to be sure I'm not taking the wrong decision.
    I'm pretty sure I'll like the Epis neck better.
    So the question here is the sound! If I like the Epiphones sound as much as the Eastman, I'll probably go for the Epi.
    Why are there absolutely no sound examples on the web, I mean I didn't find ANYTHING!
    If find this really strange..
    Well, there is a new contender in the race, the Guild CE 100 D reissue
    Same thing, information and sound source is quite scarce..

Could you develop a bit why you prefer the Epi over the Eastman
    Playability, sound, "connection" with the guitar?
    What can I say, the sound I love is Rene Thomas for instance (on the Dynasty trio with Eddy Louis and Stan Getz). I think Rene Thomas is using a ES150..
    I like that warm and bright sound.
    Leaning towards the Epiphone or maybe the Guild.
    Hesitating...

User Info Menu

You will have proponents and detractors for each of the models that you listed. I played the Epiphone ES-175 Premium when I was choosing between that and the Eastman AR371. Chose the Eastman. My own view is…

That all of the guitars you listed are good choices at their given price points. It really depends on your priorities (features and/or budget).

If you can stretch your budget, the Heritage is a fine guitar. And will retain value for resale. The AS200 is a semi-hollow (If I’m not mistaken) so maybe not the best option is you are looking for a 175 type instrument.

Regarding the Epi or the Eastman, I just preferred the Eastman and thought the overall look and feel (for me) was better than the Epi. That’s not a knock on the Epi. Some people don’t like the Epi bridge being pinned and/or the satin finish. The bridge didn’t bother me but I was iffy on the satin finish. I’m not sensitive to nut width so that was not an issue for me. If the Epi had a single pickup model, the choice would have been more difficult.

I also have guitars with Classic 57s and initially thought I would swap the Eastman pickup. But after playing the guitar for a few weeks, I’m not feeling any sense of urgency to do that. Eventually yes but, the stock pickup is useable and I can get good tones. From a budget standpoint, you could get the single pickup Eastman (371) and add the Classic 57 for at or around (often less than) the Epi Premium – at least as they are priced in the US.

Tone wise, I found the Eastman to be surprisingly “acoustic” sounding compared to the Epi, especially with round wounds. I wasn’t able to play the Epi with flats so I can’t make that comparison. Some find the Eastmans to be too bright. For me, it has more range. Using flats and rolling back the tone easily compensates if it is an issue. You can also manage it with your amp settings.

Regarding the Guilds, I also have an x-150 Savoy. Mine was purchased when Fender owned Guild but I can’t imagine that the new owner (Cordoba) has made significant changes to the production yet. It’s a nice guitar at its price point. No reason to think that the Capri or the X-175 are any different. The Guilds have a poly finish compared to nitro on the Epi and Eastman if that matters to you.

Good luck. You really won’t go wrong with any of your choices. It really is just a matter of what features/budget differences are most important to you.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for your advice.
    My best bet would just take a go to Paris (3 hours) with the credit card in the pocket, and just try all of 'em!
    And that devilish (for my wallet) Heritage H575 for sale is over there in the same location as all the music stores are in Paris (Pigalle by the way, did you know that?)

So what I'm sort of discovering when reading all the posts, is that the Eastman looks like a better guitar in the pure acoustic domain.
    From what I've experienced with it (maybe 20 minutes), it seems hard to beat in this price range..

User Info Menu

they are both great choices. no wrong answer here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    So what I'm sort of discovering when reading all the posts, is that the Eastman looks like a better guitar in the pure acoustic domain.
    From what I've experienced with it (maybe 20 minutes), it seems hard to beat in this price range..
    I would definitely agree there. I cross-shopped both and picked the Epi because it had a bit more "thunk" to it while playing unplugged, but it certainly didn't have the "bite" or volume to be considered an acoustic guitar by any means. On the flip side, to me, those qualities translated into a better electric, more versatile sound. The plywood Epi sounds a bit duller than the Eastman unplugged, but has this underlying burbly, deep low end that really sounds like a what a good 175 should when plugged in. I wouldn't let the matte finish be a deal-breaker, either. When I added a rosewood bridge to mine and set it up for 13-56 flatwounds, I buffed the finish out with Virtuoso polish and it cleaned up really well!

One thing's for sure - they're both great guitars for the money, and you really can't go wrong either way.

User Info Menu

Yes it's really hard to make up my mind since I really find each of them have little aspects that I like over the other.
    And to put a little Tobasco in the quest the Guild CE 100 D reissue is growing on me also. I've had a few videos and talks with a french guy who owns it (1974 one) and it seems to be a great instrument as well.
    Maybe a bit more versatile since the pickups are more on the P90 side with a touch humbucker drive...
    I've played quite extensively my newly restoref As200 these days, and the humbucker split option is a big plus, and I tend to use that option quite a lot, finding the humbuckers being sometimes mushy and over powerful for my playing.
    On the other side the examples I've heard of the Guild are really refreshening in that airy single coil like clear sound.

That sound really reminds me my 1958 Es125 (don't have it any more), and the sound of Rene Thomas with his Es150.

On the other hand I was maybe thinking of a Heritage H575, but 2000€ is way too much money for me. I'm selling one of my acoustic guitars to finance this purchase and my upper budget limit is around 1100€..
    I think I'm going to take a decision this Weekend

User Info Menu

By the way, didn't Wes Montgomery play a P90 mounted Es 175 for a long time ? I really love the sound of his first album (oh what an original quote..)?
    Has anyone had the chance to try the Guild by the way?

Well, the Epiphone, Eastman, or Guild.. It's gonna be one of those three..
    Maybe I should buy all three of them?

User Info Menu

I've just sold a guitar to fund my Es like jazz box which we are discussing (thanks for everybodies advice here)
    So know I've got the dough, gotta take a decision!

So it's gonna be the Epiphone, or maybe the Guild CE 100 D reissue which has really got a lot of my attention these days.
    And there is not much about this reissue on the net..
    Has anyone tried it?
    What appeals to me on the Guild is the outsider aspect, I like the fact having a quite special instrument that you don't see often..

And of course, besides that, the technical specs of the Guild suit to me :

* small nut width, short scale neck, 9"45 radius
    * Es style florentine cut, beautiful sunburst, trapezoid inlays
    * the pickups seem to be a good mix between single coils and humbuckers, I feel that pretty interesting
    * the Bigsby style tremolo system (Guild in fact)
    * from what I've heard a really high quality hard shell case

It seems that these Guilds are limited editions, built in Korea in the same factory where the Gretsch Pro line series.

any feedback would be appreciated if possible (seems nobody owns this CE 100 D reissue...)

User Info Menu

I have some guitars with 1 3/4" and some with 1 11/16" nuts. I adjust to either pretty quickly now.

Once upon a time I felt I needed a 1 11/16" nut until I got one with a wider nut and played it a few weeks. Then I thought I couldn't possible accept a 1 11/16" nut. It's really not a meaningful factor anymore. A 2" nut is another story because I just can't fret with my thumb with it.

The string spread is far more important to me. Those who have really thought about it and tested it out usually agree whether they use a pick or their fingers.

Fortunately it's pretty easy to change the string spread. Not so with the nut width.

I mention this in case you have not had the chance to spend a week or two playing only on a 1 3/4" nut. You may also find it's not really critical to you.

Best of luck.

User Info Menu

You're right Marty.
    I absolutely KNOW I will cope with a wide nut in the work process.
    The thing is, I'd like this guitar to suit me at the highest degree right in the beginning.
    I've bought so many guitars, and in the end have sold them, loosing time and money, and less concetrating on playing, I must admit.
    Buying all those guitars is real fun, very instructive on the instrument itself, and we often say the instrument doesn't make the player, but hey... a fine instrument DOES make you play better.. no?
    I say yes ...

I've played recently a Simon&Patrick Woodland Pro Folk, and it's a really marvelous instrument.
    But the nut width 1" 3/4, wich I'm not used to, had almost me got blisters on the upper inside of my finger after a few hours camp fire playing..
    I never have blisters due to guitar playing!
    And I found out that came from the S&P wide nut and flat fretboard.

I've got small hands and put heavy gauge (12's on my Eric Johnson Strat, and 13's on my As200). Maybe these two factors have a greater impact on my "wide nut phobia" symptom :-)

User Info Menu

I had a chance to play the epiphone es175 the other day. It was better then the old 175 model epiphone did a few years back that I tried once. But I can say I easily prefer the Eastman 371 myself. It just feels better made to me and also a tad more lively. I also like the single pickup for jazz.

User Info Menu

If anyone is looking MF has the wine red Epi ES- 175 on sale for $749. R