The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

ok, I had to take some "artistic license" on the per-plexed joke....... (sound over spelling.....)

"per-pleked" ....nah...

so, I don't get the impression that Roger was trying to push business to the other guy, it seemed more like he was trying to come up with a name in the area I was asking about and maybe John just came to mind as John said he hasn't talked to Roger in over 6 years. (Apparenty Roger was at NAMM when I called the shop to ask for a recommendation and he got back to one of the guys there).... but hard to say --wouldn't be unusal for someone to throw out a name of someone they have worked with at somepoint for whatever reason.....

One last thing , I noticed that if the guitar (tuning) starts to go flat it will "distort" more. When I bring it back up to where it is suppose to be, the "distortion" will be significantly less....if that means anything....

I'll swap out the strings and see.... they threw in a few extra sets when I bought the guitar.
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 01-29-2015 at 06:32 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    ok, I had to take some "artistic license" on the per-plexed joke....... (sound over spelling.....)

"per-pleked" ....nah...

so, I don't get the impression that Roger was trying to push business to the other guy, it seemed more like he was trying to come up with a name in the area I was asking about and maybe John just came to mind as John said he hasn't talked to Roger in over 6 years. (Apparenty Roger was at NAMM when I called the shop to ask for a recommendation and he got back to one of the guys there).... but hard to say --wouldn't be unusal for someone to throw out a name of someone they have worked with at somepoint for whatever reason.....

One last thing , I noticed that if the guitar (tuning) starts to go flat it will "distort" more. When I bring it back up to where it is suppose to be, the "distortion" will be significantly less....if that means anything....

I'll swap out the strings and see.... they threw in a few extra sets when I bought the guitar.
    Why would the guitar start to go flat? Who put the current strings on it? It's possible that the strings are slipping around the tuning pegs. Are you noticing a bowing develope in the neck causing the string tension to loosten?

Man . . . you need to get that guitar to either John or Phil in a hurry. Something isn't right.

User Info Menu

From Roger:

"Here are a few possibilites:

1) a wire inside is vibrating against the top or back.
    shake the guitar and listen if you hear anything rattling inside

2) the pickup may be vibrating…..try raising the pickup to increase the spring tension.

3) pickup may be vibrating against the mounting ring…..a tech needs to open up the inside of the ring a bit.

4) Play the offending chords and have someone dampen each string one at a time, BEHIND where you are fretting it. If this is the source, you may need to loosen the truss rod a bit or have a tech shim the nut a little bit"

Lastly,

regarding Phil:

"I do not know Phil, but you should trust your local players recommendations..."

Sounds good to me........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    From Roger:

"Here are a few possibilites:

1) a wire inside is vibrating against the top or back.
    shake the guitar and listen if you hear anything rattling inside

2) the pickup may be vibrating…..try raising the pickup to increase the spring tension.

3) pickup may be vibrating against the mounting ring…..a tech needs to open up the inside of the ring a bit.

4) Play the offending chords and have someone dampen each string one at a time, BEHIND where you are fretting it. If this is the source, you may need to loosen the truss rod a bit or have a tech shim the nut a little bit"

Lastly,

regarding Phil:

"I do not know Phil, but you should trust your local players recommendations..."

Sounds good to me........
    Sounds good to me too. Roger is doing when many here are doing . . just enumerating possibilities without have inspected the guitar personally. Your best bet is to get it to a tech. As I said in my initial reply to this thread, it seems more like a vibration than a fret issue. But, getting it to an expert is the wisest thing you can do.

User Info Menu

Stumbled on this thread a little late. Just wanted to note that when I lived in the DC area, I used John Warden for neck and fret work, and he was outstanding, and was generally considered to be *the guy* for that kind of work in the DC area among the musicians I knew. Getting to his shop involved a bit of a drive. This was 15 years ago, though.

User Info Menu

Thank you, I shall try to pull up information on John Warden.