The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

Today I repaired an old 80's Cube 60. The reverb chip was shot, but I found a replacement main board.
    Everything worked splendidly after I replaced the old board.

The only thing that remains to be fixed is the speaker. There is a weird buzzing sound that stops if I put my finger on a specific spot on the paper edge of the speaker.

So a speaker replacement is in order. The Roland Cube 60 has a 8 ohm 12" speaker.

What I like is a warm mellow sound (think minibrute). I want to play mt ES-175 over it and rather dig the Joe Pass vibe it gives me.

What would be a good replacement speaker?
    Last edited by Pukka-J; 04-06-2013 at 01:23 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Cannabis Rex is cheap, smooth and VERY loud (103db). Might be a good option.

User Info Menu

I had a HIFI speaker that had a warped coil former (like your prob)
    I fixed it by making a little finger out of wood and gaffer tape etc
    to press the cone at the appropriate point

Still working (10 years and counting)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I had a HIFI speaker that had a warped coil former (like your prob)
    I fixed it by making a little finger out of wood and gaffer tape etc
    to press the cone at the appropriate point

Still working (10 years and counting)
    Well I'll be ******!!!!!

Triggered by your post I decided to unscrew the speaker, turn it around 1/4 and tighten it up again, just for the sake of it. AND IT WORKED!!!
    No more fizzzz, no more buzzzzz....just nice clean tone.

Thanks for the idea!

(and Jorge of course thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep that in mind, just in case )

User Info Menu

Peavey Blue Marvel Classic 1238

Peavey Blue Marvel Classic 1238

Blue Mavel is good for Jazz with fat tone.
    Last edited by kawa; 04-06-2013 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Do you know if it will actually fit the cube (cabinet is not too deep)?

User Info Menu

I don't know but Blue Marvel is not so big magnet, no problem
    Dimensions Packed: 15" W x 16" H x 6.5" D (38.1 x 40.64 x 16.51 cm)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pukka-J
    Well I'll be ******!!!!!

Triggered by your post I decided to unscrew the speaker, turn it around 1/4 and tighten it up again, just for the sake of it. AND IT WORKED!!!
    No more fizzzz, no more buzzzzz....just nice clean tone.

Thanks for the idea!

(and Jorge of course thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep that in mind, just in case )
    Nice you solved it

In my experience solid state 80s amps usually benefit a lot from a speaker change - the Bandit 65 / Scorpion combo being the only exception so far. If you have the money it might be a surprisingly good upgrade...

I know some forum member did that mod with C Rex's 10 version, Lil's Buddy, into current Cubes and loved the change.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Well, today the fizz was back. I took the speaker out and found that depressing the cone lightly on one side produces a raspy sound, as if something is awry inside that keeps the cone from freely moving. In fact that's just what it sounds like when I play too. The speaker must be around 25 years old, so for a paper thingy I suppose its time has just come...

I measured everything I could (I read that not every 12" speaker fits the cabinet) and based on sound- and mounting specs I ordered the Eminence Cannabis Rex.
    It should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm looking forward to playing it as I really love the sound of my old Cube 60, especially now I installed a new main board that revived the little spring reverb. I hope the new speaker does it justice...

Anyone knows anything about break in periods? Or is that just some internet nonsense?

User Info Menu

In my experience, as with a lot og other gear stuff, truth is in the middle. I use a special hi-fi cd for 30 or 40 hours when I get a new speaker - I find them to be less stiff and with a softer treble in the end. Not a night and day difference but you can hear it. I have noticed neo speakers or hemp cone speakers benefited more from the process than others.

So not irrelevant but also not going to completely change the sound of the speaker.

User Info Menu

Ok, tnx. I'll guess I'll just play it and give it a 6 month break in time

User Info Menu

Yeah that's another way to do it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    The Cannabis Rex is cheap, smooth and VERY loud (103db). Might be a good option.
    +1 on the CRex. I just put one in my Carr Rambler.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    On this topic, anyone know what the sensitivity of the modern Cube 60 speaker is? I was thinking about replacing it with something more efficient to try to get a bit more clean volume for big-band rehearsals. (Also, why does the C60 have 3 leads going to the speaker?)

WS

User Info Menu

Today I received the C-Rex. That is blazingly fast, considering Thomann is located in Germany and I ordered the speaker sunday evening. Tnx, Thomann!

Another nice surprise was that it is a perfect fit. All I needed was a screwdriver and 5 minutes.

The change in sound quality was immediate! Nice and full sounding, warm and no harsh highs (tested that with my tele, hehe

So thanks for the recommendation! This is a great little jazz amp now!

User Info Menu

I had read that the C.Rex took some time to break in. If it sounds great immediately, that's even better.

User Info Menu

what about celestion?

User Info Menu

All celestions I played have a strong upper midrange emphasis that is not good for my idea of what a jazz tone should be... WGS speakers are supposed not to have that. I would love a 200w C Rex or ET-65.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I had read that the C.Rex took some time to break in. If it sounds great immediately, that's even better.
    Mine sounds pretty darn good right out of the box. More balanced than the Wizard it replaced. Better low end which should improve further after break in. Wizard is a great speaker though if you want mid and high emphasis.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, looking for suggestions on a 12" speaker for a 1979 Roland Cube 60(8 Ohms, the orange one). I bought this amp about a year ago and I actually like the way it sounds though it has a Bugera Hard Attack Bass Speaker in it (when I found the amp at a consignment shop this is what it already had in it). They don't make the original speaker for it anymore and I was looking for a speaker that would sound great in this amp. I'm usually playing either an Ibanez AM semi hollow or a tele through the amp and I use a multi effects with a true bypass so it doesn't color the tone of the amp and guitar(when I'm not using effects obviously). Usually I play clean through it but I'll use an octave up, chorus, or overdrive occasionally. Because it seems to be what everyone does, I guess I'll just namedrop some random musicians whose tones I like and hope that someone can suggest something that makes me sound like that....though technique, setup, etc make it an impossible request.... Scofield, Gilad Hekselman, Charles Altura, Wayne Shorter, Kreisberg, etc. Really I'm just looking for a good sounding 12" speaker for jazz that is versatile enough to take a couple effects!
    Last edited by GeraldT!; 01-18-2015 at 10:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Welcome to the Forum!

Well, I'm not sure that particular amp goes with that list of names …

How many watts is that model, and what Ohms?

I've liked Warehouse Guitar Speakers recently: Warehouse Guitar Speakers | Warehouse Guitar Speakers

Marc

User Info Menu

I updated the post but to answer your question a 60 Watt Amp with an 8 Ohm speaker!
    P.S. No one speaker goes with those musicians(especially not Shorter but that was the joke)

User Info Menu

One thing you have to be careful about is the speaker's depth. IIRC, that cab is pretty shallow front to back.