The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

Ah, are most speakers larger than my amp? How do I tell

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Open it up and see how much room there is. Then check the depth of whatever speaker you are interested in.

User Info Menu

Check out the Eminence Lil' Texas. Don't let the name dissuade you, this isn't really a creamy blues speaker, it's a clean, articulate, LOUD speaker that doesn't color the tone much. I get where they were going with the name though - Stevie Ray Vaughan was known for using large-magnet, hyper-efficient speakers like EVMs and JBLs, and to my ears the sound of the Lil' Texas is in that vein, but without the backbreaking weight. With the shallow depth from the tiny neo magnet, I'm sure it'll fit in your Cube. And you'll probably shave 5lbs, which never hurts.

User Info Menu

Ah I'll check out the samples on the speaker but the eminence samples aren't great, if you had any that would be great!

User Info Menu

When the original speaker in my orange cube went, my tech put a lightweight Weber 12" speaker in it.

It changed the sound from a Bickert-type sound to a Kenny Burrell-type sound, if that tells you anything.

User Info Menu

I like the Jensen NEO 12-100. 100 watts, lightweight, very small magnet, should fit without problems.
    Have that speaker to great satisfaction in two of my tranny amps.

User Info Menu

Would a 100 Watt speaker be okay in a 60 watt amp? Also how would you describe the Jensen as far as tone. I haven't been able to find sound samples of any Webers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GeraldT!
    Would a 100 Watt speaker be okay in a 60 watt amp? Also how would you describe the Jensen as far as tone. I haven't been able to find sound samples of any Webers
    Yeah, a higher rated speaker is nothing but extra insurance on overheating the voice coil.

Check out some of the speakers that don't break up. I really like the EV EVM-12L, rated for 300W but heavy. Another alternative is the Celestion CL80. Both of these speakers are very clean and articulate better than the classic V30, greenback, etc. The EV has more of a scooped sound, and the CL80 is more low-mids and creamy with less articulate highs.

I don't know much about Jensen speakers to compare to that, though. But the above will work for both gainy stuff and clean.

User Info Menu

I try not to give them any business but since I was given a gift card I decided to try ordering a Vintage 30 from GuitarCenter. The first time it came in the box looked refurbrished and it was the Chinese V30 which sounds different(not better or worse but definitely not what I ordered) than the UK made V30. They tell me that it must have been a mix up at the warehouse and I wait another 2 weeks to get the right speaker in and it is another Chinese V30 so after waiting there over an hour I finally got them to give me my money back.
    All this to say, where would you all suggest I purchase a speaker that is not Guitar Center?

User Info Menu

I replaced the speaker in my orange cube 60 with an Eminence Swamp Thing.
    Thinking of changing to a neodymium 12 for lighter weight and more headroom.

User Info Menu

Eminence makes a neodymium 12?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Oh they have a couple in that series. I didn't see them because they are under pro audio not guitar and bass. Speaking of those what about Ohms? Because those were 2 Ohm Speakers and my amp is 8 Ohms, isn't that a problem?

User Info Menu

For jazz I have always loved the Jensen C12K. It is what's used in the Fender Deluxe,Twin, and George Benson Model.
    Kenny Burrell's fav amp is the Twin with the C12K's and you know the glorious tone he gets.

User Info Menu

I tried a Swamp Thing and hated it. Probably good for solidbody guitars but way to much bass for a archtop guitar.

User Info Menu

I consistently play a solidbody and a semi hollow but I still have an issue with some amps having too much bass(namely the newer cubes which I end up playing if I don't carry my own). Surprisingly, I've never had problems with a bassy tone with the bass speaker that is currently in the amp

User Info Menu

Both the Eminence Lil' Texas (Patriot series) and Tonkerlite (Redcoat series) are 8 ohm Neo guitar speakers. Never tried them, though. I like the 8 ohm Weber ceramic California 12 with a paper dustcap.

User Info Menu

Eminence makes a neodymium 12?
    I've been pleased with my Eminence Lil Texas 12" 8 ohm neo.

User Info Menu

I have put an Eminence Cannabis Rex in three of my amps. I absolutely love it!

Efficient, warm, clean , tight, loud, loves effects and reasonably priced!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by J. Murrieta
    I have put an Eminence Cannabis Rex in three of my amps. I absolutely love it!

Efficient, warm, clean , tight, loud, loves effects and reasonably priced!
    I think they are only rated at 50w. Just in case.

User Info Menu

I have heard positive things about the C.Rex but my amp is 60 Watts and I was afraid of that being an issue

User Info Menu

So I'm pretty sold on neodymium speakers at the moment, and it's been the Lil Texas and the Jensen neo 12. Where would be a good site or place to purchase either?

User Info Menu

Music123 has the Lil' Texas priced under MAP at $111.59 with free shipping. Not affiliated with the seller.

Eminence Lil' Texas 12" 125W Guitar Speaker 8 Ohm LN | eBay

There are a couple sellers on eBay selling the Tonkerlite for $119.99 or best offer, so you can probably get it under MAP there as well.

Normally, I'd recommend buying from avatarspeakers.com, but it looks like they don't carry Eminence anymore.

I think you're making a great choice either way, btw.
    Last edited by Danno1985; 01-21-2015 at 01:19 AM.

User Info Menu

So I'm pretty sold on neodymium speakers at the moment, and it's been the Lil Texas and the Jensen neo 12. Where would be a good site or place to purchase either?
    You might get a tad more clean headroom with the Lil Tex, because of its higher efficiency rating.

101.2 vs 97.3

But I don't really know how much difference it makes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    You might get a tad more clean headroom with the Lil Tex, because of its higher efficiency rating.
    101.2 vs 97.3
    But I don't really know how much difference it makes.
    A 3dB increase in sensitivity is roughly equivalent to doubling the power of your amp. I say "roughly" because other speaker parameters such as the frequency response could affect things. If you've ever wished for more power, consider the more sensitive speaker.
    Last edited by KirkP; 01-21-2015 at 01:46 PM.