The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

Does anybody here own a D'Angelico EX-SS?

I'm all ears!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't own one, but I have played a couple. I think the EX SS is a really nice guitar. I do own an EX DC and, and have played other models. I've liked 'em all.

John

User Info Menu

Yes, I'm interested in these as well. I've heard the pickups provide a decent jazz tone but that's it (i.e. they are not very versatile, if that matters. of course that is internet rumor anyway, so who knows).

I am interested if the TOM structural support is cross bracing or a small wood block underneath. I like the 25" scale and would prefer the ebony board.

User Info Menu

Can be heard on quite a few True Fire videos. Particularly Frank Vignola's courses. I get the impression it's their "house" jazz axe.

A few of those courses have preview videos where you can hear it in a jazz context for free.

I'm also very interested in this guitar. Would make the perfect crossover instrument if the neck geometry is comfy for me.

K

User Info Menu

It's a small connecting block, I believe 2-piece. It's a nice substantial neck, comfy contour, not too thin.

User Info Menu

i suppose it sounds like this, then:

http://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-less...-chord-melody/

http://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-lessons/123-jazz/

don't like that sound, personally. its just... there. sounds like he went direct. can't say. what i will say is that this is the most aesthetically pleasing of the current dangelicos and the one i'd go with, were i to do such a thing. were these not flamed maple tops, though?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by s1track3d
    Yes, I'm interested in these as well. I've heard the pickups provide a decent jazz tone but that's it (i.e. they are not very versatile, if that matters. of course that is internet rumor anyway, so who knows).

I am interested if the TOM structural support is cross bracing or a small wood block underneath. I like the 25" scale and would prefer the ebony board.
    The SS has a wood block under the bridge; the DC is a full-length block, like a 335. It strikes me as about as versatile as any other semi-hollow. I have the same pickups in the my ex-dc and I use it for both straight-ahead jazz and more blues/rock oriented music. I'm very happy with them. The ex-ss might in theory have a bit less sustain due to the smaller block, but when I played it, it seemed to have plenty. I didn't play it loud, but my guess is that feedback is not an issue -- it doesn't have the resonance of a full hollow-body. I would have been happy owning either one, but wound up with the DC because I got a good deal on it on ebay. It has become my main guitar (I sold my archtop and my Les Paul because it does what either of those does better for my purposes). I think it would have been the same with an SS.

John

User Info Menu

That is NYSS, not an EXSS. Different animal. Spruce top, long block, 24.75 scale.

User Info Menu

John A , thanks for the feedback and assessment.

Woody Sound, I'm talking about the D'Angelico EX-SS (the new Korean ones)
    they are about $1500 new D'Angelico EX-SS - Opinions?-dangelico-exss-630-80-jpg

User Info Menu

Here are four pics of a NYSS and an EX-SS side by side. The NYSS has a full-length block, spruce top, and 24.75" scale. The EX-SS has a small square-ish block under the bridge connecting to the back, maple top, and 25" scale. (Can't seem to get the 2 full-length pics to view vertically in the uploader.)

D'Angelico EX-SS - Opinions?-dsc02738-jpg
    D'Angelico EX-SS - Opinions?-dsc02739-jpg
    D'Angelico EX-SS - Opinions?-dsc02743-jpg
    D'Angelico EX-SS - Opinions?-dsc02747-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-19-2015 at 08:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I didn't realize they were so similar looking. I'm not sure why you brought up the NYSS though as no one had mentioned it. Are you saying they don't make the EX-SS with an ebony board? (I'm fairly sure I have seen some advertised as such)

It's the D'Angelico EX-SS I am interested in.

NYSS - $3K+ (and no longer made?)
    EX-SS 1500 new

There is also a EX-DC which is a straight up semi hollow as John A metnioned

User Info Menu

i'm guessing he mentioned it because someone said frank vignola uses one in his video lessons and i posted links to said videos while noting the flamed maple top was missing, which lead to the conclusion that he was probably using one and not the other, that one not being the one in question in this thread.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I didn't realize they were so similar looking. I'm not sure why you brought up the NYSS though as no one had mentioned it.
    Feet posted some vids by Frank Vignola. I posted about the NYSS to point out that THAT is what he is playing, not an EX-SS.

User Info Menu

Are you saying they don't make the EX-SS with an ebony board? (I'm fairly sure I have seen some advertised as such)
    No, I've seen (and owned) EX-SS's with both ebony and rosewood. The one in the pics is ebony. But it is one of the older ones, designed by Bill Comins. I haven't seen one of the newer square inlay models in person.

User Info Menu

But to get back on track , I'd say the EX-SS is a very nice, versatile, meticulously built guitar. Depending on strings, it can sound most styles.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I didn't realize they were so similar looking. I'm not sure why you brought up the NYSS though as no one had mentioned it. Are you saying they don't make the EX-SS with an ebony board? (I'm fairly sure I have seen some advertised as such)

It's the D'Angelico EX-SS I am interested in.

NYSS - $3K+ (and no longer made?)
    EX-SS 1500 new

There is also a EX-DC which is a straight up semi hollow as John A metnioned
    They used to have ebony fingerboards, but they switched to rosewood fingerboards (at least according to the specs). I'm not sure when, but I think about a year ago. If you want ebony, your best bet is probably to look for a used one on ebay. There are usually a few there.

John

User Info Menu

I'm asking, because here in Italy there are none to be found for a "hands-on" trial. There's only one "on-line" shop that lists one, so I don't even know if the instrument is physically available.

I'm interested for what I see, it's like a poor man's Sadowsky, so the opinion of an actual owner is paramount to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmus
    Check out fine-instruments.net, germany, the site looks kinda worn but it is operating, Dieter the owner is super helpfull and will relpy emails swiftly, i bought a early version "comins" EX SS Excel, double inlay ebony board, from him last year, i think he has a few left at a very reasonable price.
    That's cool, it looks like he has both versions available, the stop tail and trapeze tail.

User Info Menu

Been honeymooning with one, some information which may be usable , measured neck depth at the first fret .84 nut width is 1.70. Build fit and finish is very good, frets are very well done, as well as fretboard. Overall very pleased with the quality of the workmanship,( have owned a Heritage 535, which had similar neck profile as a reference point the Dangelico workmanship is little more refined IMO) Unplugged is responsive and weight is approx 7.8 to 8 lbs
    The grovers are okay(not my favorites) i am little on the fence with the kent armstrong pups, need to be further dialed in i believe the sound is there just need to adjust polepieces , pickup height etc. the pinned bridge, tailpiece, pots, electronics , are of good quality. In summation my trepidation about the quality and fit and finish was unfounded. The playabilty is very good,and while not a benedetto, it is far superior to the epiphone,and eastmans i have auditioned, prior to this purchase.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zovanou
    Been honeymooning with one, some information which may be usable , measured neck depth at the first fret .84 nut width is 1.70. Build fit and finish is very good, frets are very well done, as well as fretboard. Overall very pleased with the quality of the workmanship,( have owned a Heritage 535, which had similar neck profile as a reference point the Dangelico workmanship is little more refined IMO) Unplugged is responsive and weight is approx 7.8 to 8 lbs
    The grovers are okay(not my favorites) i am little on the fence with the kent armstrong pups, need to be further dialed in i believe the sound is there just need to adjust polepieces , pickup height etc. the pinned bridge, tailpiece, pots, electronics , are of good quality. In summation my trepidation about the quality and fit and finish was unfounded. The playabilty is very good,and while not a benedetto, it is far superior to the epiphone,and eastmans i have auditioned, prior to this purchase.
    Thanks. I assume you are talking about the D'Angelico EX-SS?
    Do you get any type of acoustic vibe or is it more in the semi hollow camp as some have mentioned?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That natural with black hardware is gorgeous!

A bit expensive to be a MIK instrument, though. Don't you think?

User Info Menu

I tried one last year. I'm not crazy about some of the look but it played well and sounded fantastic.

User Info Menu

Didn't Rosenwinkel use one of these for a couple years?

User Info Menu

I/ve tried it at local shop yesterday.
    I like D'Angelico ex-ss .It is light and great sounding instrument.