The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I'm attempting to replace a BJB with another BJB. I don't desire to replace it with a KA or other floater.

I've had no success locating a Google listing displaying retail sellers of BJB pickup's (only).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What's up with the first BJB? If it's in good shape I might be interested...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I'm attempting to replace a BJB with another BJB. I don't desire to replace it with a KA or other floater.

I've had no success locating a Google listing displaying retail sellers of BJB pickup's (only).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    Are you saying that you don't want to replace it with a KA version of the BJB? You want the original Bruce Bolan designed Gibson version? They're difficult to find, at all . . and impossible to find in excellent condition. If you do find one, it's going to be ugly expensive. KA makes a copy that looks identical and sounds wonderful. I have on on my Heritage D'Angelico Excel. I love it.

Correct. I'm searching for a new BJB to replace the original that arrived on Thom Van Hoose's Super Eagle.

it has worked intermittently since it arrived. Took the guitar in to a local luthier today who said the pickup appears to be shorting out beneath the cover, and could be something as minor as a winding repair. But he suggested it's beyond his comfort level and that to repair it could potentially cost more than a new BJB replacement.

I like the sound of the BJB, and would prefer a new one if its possible to find one.

User Info Menu

2B,
    Captain Obvious here..
    Why not just call Heritage. Seriously. You guys have done enough on this forum to promote their brand, I cant imagine they wouldn't want to help you by finding one for you in a parts bin somewhere in the shop.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Correct. I'm searching for a new BJB to replace the original that arrived on Thom Van Hoose's Super Eagle.

it has worked intermittently since it arrived. Took the guitar in to a local luthier today who said the pickup appears to be shorting out beneath the cover, and could be something as minor as a winding repair. But he suggested it's beyond his comfort level and that to repair it could potentially cost more than a new BJB replacement.

I like the sound of the BJB, and would prefer a new one if its possible to find one.
    Heck man . . that's an easy one. Just give Kent a call and ask him if he'd do the repair. Trust me . . it won't any where near the cost of a new one . . and his repair/rebuild would make it just a good as a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Heck man . . that's an easy one. Just give Kent a call and ask him if he'd do the repair. Trust me . . it won't any where near the cost of a new one . . and his repair/rebuild would make it just a good as a new one.
    Thanks for the suggestion P. I'll give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    2B,
    Captain Obvious here..
    Why not just call Heritage. Seriously. You guys have done enough on this forum to promote their brand, I cant imagine they wouldn't want to help you by finding one for you in a parts bin somewhere in the shop.

Joe D
    Thanks Joe, but the guitar was made 24 years ago. I'd not trouble Heritage about a Gibson parts product I've never seen on another Heritage guitar. I can only assume Thom Van Hoose requested the install of the BJB at the time of the guitars production.

User Info Menu

Gotcha Bud.
    After I sent the Email, I realized that my solution was toooo simple and I'm a dope for not thinking you would have figured that out, if it feasible.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Gotcha Bud.
    After I sent the Email, I realized that my solution was toooo simple and I'm a dope for not thinking you would have figured that out, if it feasible.

JD
    No biggie. Thanks just the same for your response....okay, now I'm on a mission to find one. It's got to be easier than finding a '1100 for a great price

User Info Menu

There was a BJB on eBay a couple months back. I waffled and it sold for a very low price, maybe $99 or so. Just gotta go hunting I guess.

User Info Menu

Lindy Fralin will repair it for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    There was a BJB on eBay a couple months back. I waffled and it sold for a very low price, maybe $99 or so. Just gotta go hunting I guess.
    that's an absolute steal, I've seen them sell for $350[not listed for, but sold for]

User Info Menu

maybe a stupid question but-isnt it possible to get it from gibson or one of the big gibson dealer when you just call or write them?
    I mean, Gibson uses new ones on new guitars so there will be at least some of them in the custom shop.

User Info Menu

I just bought this guitar
    Where to buy a Gibson BJB floating pickup?-img_3318-jpgWhere to buy a Gibson BJB floating pickup?-img_3319-jpgWhere to buy a Gibson BJB floating pickup?-img_3326-jpg

With this pickup attached

Where to buy a Gibson BJB floating pickup?-img_3309-jpgWhere to buy a Gibson BJB floating pickup?-img_3308-jpgWhere to buy a Gibson BJB floating pickup?-img_3307-jpgWhere to buy a Gibson BJB floating pickup?-img_3306-jpg

With this receipt of original purchase.

Where to buy a Gibson BJB floating pickup?-img_3328-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Where to buy a Gibson BJB floating pickup?-img_3328-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I just bought this guitar - With this pickup attached
    Rub it in why don't you!

User Info Menu

Rub it in why don't you!

Well tbh I was thinking of keeping the guitar acoustic. I only came on here and asked about what a BJB is when I posted pics of the guitar. A fellow forum member told me what it was and then I remembered seeing a thread about it.

What I'm saying is, it might be your lucky day. I will pm you

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Well tbh I was thinking of keeping the guitar acoustic. I only came on here and asked about what a BJB is when I posted pics of the guitar. A fellow forum member told me what it was and then I remembered seeing a thread about it.

What I'm saying is, it might be your lucky day. I will pm you
    Sounds good. Gorgeous looking archtop!