The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 277

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Is the Richie Kotzen fatter than a Mechanicland/Monty ballpark neck? Those are pretty much 1" all the way down.
    I've never heard of that one either, but all reports say the Kotzen neck is the fattest neck Fender currently makes.

Also, for the OP, it's a 12" radius instead of the standard 9.5", if that matters to you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's Richie...

User Info Menu

In the 90s, Canadian dentist Elliot Mechanic brought out a series of necks (made by Canadian Brian Monty) under the Mechanicland brand. They are the finest Tele and Strat necks I have ever played. Pretty pricey today.

User Info Menu

FWIW, I don't think you can beat the regular model Telecaster with a switch as a jazz guitar. I have used everything from a '57 Esquire to various model Teles from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s for this purpose. I employed a Thinline for awhile. It was neither better nor worse than the plain vanilla version. Color, weight, etc, seemed never to matter much. Again, FWIW, the best I have played were a light as a feather 60s "regular" Tele, about a 10lb black Tele with blonde neck, and a pretty heavy early-90s '52 reissue. So much variation in looks and weight, so _little_ variation in Tele greatness and utility for jazz.

Oh, yes. I used to perform with a MIJ blonde/blonde Tele with two Joe Barden pickups that was also absolutely great.

Can't go wrong with a Telecaster.
    So what do you think is the Telecaster's secret? Is it the position of the neck pickup maybe? (165mm from the 12th fret.) I think it pretty much sits in the same position as that of an ES-125? (Relatively, considering the difference in scale length.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    So what do you think is the Telecaster's secret? Is it the position of the neck pickup maybe? (165mm from the 12th fret.) I think it pretty much sits in the same position as that of an ES-125? (Relatively, considering the difference in scale length.)
    I have no ide if neck pickup location has anything to do with it, but it IS interesting the tele neck pickup sits directly beneath the 24th fret harmonics... which is why you can't get the 5th fret harmonics when on the neck pickup (the one and only complaint I have with the tele design).

Personally, I think it might be the metal cover- it's a big reason why the tele neck pickup does NOT sound like a strat neck pickup... it cuts some highs...

User Info Menu

Besides the 2006 and on Highway One's are there other Tele's that have the larger frets?

User Info Menu

Ergonomically, you may want to check out an American Deluxe (discontinued after 2015) or its replacement the American Elite. Both have a belly cut (a feature I appreciate) as well as easier access to the upper register. If you play sitting, this helps as far as comfort.

I have always appreciated a compound radius neck. Both of these models have one and again IMO they are very comfortable. If your Tele will double for blues or rock, the compound radius neck allows for upper register bends without bottoming out. Both are equipped with medium jombo frets. If you want big frets, this may do it.

Both have noiseless pickups which slightly color the Tele tone, but I really dig the N3's on the American Deluxe. The Elite has the new N4's.

Purists may scoff, but I like the aesthetics of the Deluxe.

YMMV
    Last edited by Alder Statesman; 09-10-2017 at 12:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a mid 90's '52 RI with Kinman Broadcasters that is great, if a bit heavy. It has the thick finish that Jack is talking about and, while I can feel a definite difference in the response and "hollowness" in teles I have played with thinner finishes, it is still a great sounding and easy to play guitar and the most versatile guitar I own. I don't know how Leo did it, but teles are a a mysterious force of nature, nearly indestructible, and belong in everyone's arsenal.

I've been jonesing for a double bound black model with a fat rosewood neck and can't find one, other than expensive and relic'ed CS offerings, and thus am close to pulling the trigger on ordering a Danocaster. I'm not into relic'ing, but an "under the bed" finish would be just fine. (They don't do NOS, apparently.)

Have fun in your search. It would be harder to make a big mistake with a tele purchase than with nearly any other guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Naquat
    Besides the 2006 and on Highway One's are there other Tele's that have the larger frets?
    All the American Standards (now discontinued) have medium jumbos. IDK what the new American Professionals have.

User Info Menu

Been playing a Charvel Model 7 from the late 80's. No.. seriously.. it's a really good guitar though the reverse headstock isn't quite the guitar fashion statement I was looking for. Keep looking at Tele's but don't want a 1 5/8" neck, tiny frets, and small neck radius. I know I can build one with a 1 11/16 in neck and there are even a few 1 3/4 in. neck models out there but haven't found one yet.
    Last edited by Spook410; 09-11-2017 at 01:56 AM.

User Info Menu

My favorite Teles are Custom Shop Nocaster Reissues. Ther are some deals out there used and the resale is very good. I like the huge necks and the 21 frets.

i also have my trusty ASAT Classic from 2000. Every bit as good sounding as the Nocaster, but different. More modern sounding to me and has 22 frets. More Bill Frisell than Ed Bickert.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Been playing a Charvel Model 7 from the late 80's. No.. seriously.. it's a really good guitar though the reverse headstock isn't quite the guitar fashion statement I was looking for. Keep looking at Tele's but don't want a 1 5/8" neck, tiny frets, and small neck radius. I know I can build one with a 1 11/16 in neck and there are even a few 1 3/4 in. neck models out there but haven't found one yet.

? There are 1-11/16" nut teles ALL OVER THE PLACE: that's the standard. As are medium jumbo frets on MANY models. You're stating the EXCEPTION rather than the rule.

???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    G&L asat is a popular choice for a tele.
    Have a Bluesboy. Replaced the neck humbucker with a TVJones Supertron. Kept the single coil in the ashtray bridge. It simply sparkles. With NYXL .10's it is very versatile.
    Attached Images Attached Images Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-g_l-asat-bluesboy-semihollow-tv-jones-supertron-2-jpg Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-g_l-asat-bluesboy-semihollow-tv-jones-supertron-4-jpg 
    Last edited by LeGrand; 09-11-2017 at 04:40 PM.

User Info Menu

on the cheaper side, I have a Squier classic vibe which is great. The neck is too heavily finished for my taste, but for a $300 guitar, I don't mind sanding it myself.

on the more expensive side, I recently got a Danocaster and it plays like a dream. There's a long waiting list and you may or may not be into the aging process that Dan does, but, if you like the look, I can't imagine playing a better Tele.

as an aside, I've played an archtop almost exclusively as my main gigging guitar for 20 years (not out of any kind of bias, just didn't have space for more than 1 guitar). it's hard to believe how much better the tele sounds in the upper registers.
    Last edited by pcsanwald; 09-11-2017 at 02:34 PM.

User Info Menu

yebdox is onto something. The best factory Telecaster I ever played (including my '57) was my '92 heavy as a log, thick finish '52 reissue. It sounded simply fantastic. I have played real '52 Telecasters and a '53. This guitar was honestly right up there, even though the finish was "plastic-y" and the guitar was Les Paul (unrelieved) heavy.

I'd own it still if the neck had more of an honest '50-'52 depth from front-to-back. My parts-caster feels more like an old Fender, but it doesn't sound better necessarily than my reissue did.

Some of those reissues were the real deal. My son recorded in a studio with mine. They happened to have an actual '53 that they owned. He cut some tracks with it, too, and deeply wounded the owners by admitting that he preferred the reissue. Yikes!

User Info Menu

I don't knopw if they still make 'em, but the Hot Rod '52 reissue was a bad ass telecaster...Mini humbucker, vintage style neck but bigger frets...sweet.

User Info Menu

I love love love my American special telecaster! I tried about 20 teles in all price ranges but I settled on the Am Special because I was able to easily get what I think is a great jazz tone. Try one. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

yebdox is onto something. The best factory Telecaster I ever played (including my '57) was my '92 heavy as a log, thick finish '52 reissue. It sounded simply fantastic. I have played real '52 Telecasters and a '53. This guitar was honestly right up there, even though the finish was "plastic-y" and the guitar was Les Paul (unrelieved) heavy.

!
    This describes my #1, the best tele I have ever played, 1993 American Standard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    ? There are 1-11/16" nut teles ALL OVER THE PLACE: that's the standard. As are medium jumbo frets on MANY models. You're stating the EXCEPTION rather than the rule.

???
    Ahh.. all the CAPS and ???'s. Things like Baja Tele's with the desirable boat neck are 1 5/8. A few current higher end US made Tele's are 1 11/16 while many others are slightly narrower 42mm. None that I'm seeing have a thick neck profile and only quite expensive ones have nice extras like a compound neck radius. When a tele with a neck radius, profile, and nut width I'm happy with comes up on my local Craigslist for a good price.. I'll buy it. More likely I'll end up building one. Until then, the one's that are a good deal retail like the Baja and Squier's are not quite what I want.

User Info Menu

I have had a few telecasters both Fender and clones. The best I've owned or played so far is my Traditions Jerry Reid. I looked at it in a LGS for years, and then I stumbled onto a going out of business sale there and I took it home.

It's been on the wall for years in my living room and it gets a LOT of play time. Did I mention that I do not really like telecasters much? Is it just wood, wire, stain and steel? Yup, but this one has something more, almost like a soul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Ahh.. all the CAPS and ???'s. Things like Baja Tele's with the desirable boat neck are 1 5/8. A few current higher end US made Tele's are 1 11/16 while many others are slightly narrower 42mm. None that I'm seeing have a thick neck profile and only quite expensive ones have nice extras like a compound neck radius. When a tele with a neck radius, profile, and nut width I'm happy with comes up on my local Craigslist for a good price.. I'll buy it. More likely I'll end up building one. Until then, the one's that are a good deal retail like the Baja and Squier's are not quite what I want.

A thick neck profile is NOT standard on Fenders, that is true. You can't have it all, unless you go custom or partscaster: then you can have everything you want.

You might want to give the Kotzen a serious look, as it does have 1-11/16", big neck, jumbo frets. It may be the ONLY Fender that does. 12" radius tho, and while it's controversial how much difference there is in 9.5" and 12" radii, I can feel it.*** And it does matter to me. Combined with neck profile, of course.

*** as I can feel the difference in the standard 1-11/16" nut and the Vintage Modified 1-10/16" nut... I can play both, but much prefer the larger. It DOES matter.

User Info Menu

Hmm? A thick neck used to be standard on Fenders, until about 1952-3. It's just that mere players can't afford them.

You can afford to buy any Fender you like and add an aftermarket fat or boat neck to it.

FWIW, the boat neck guitars built buy Nash are great.

User Info Menu

Hmm? A thick neck used to be standard on Fenders, until about 1952-3. It's just that mere players can't afford them.
    That's what I'm saying... on Fender guitars for decades now, the Modern C is the standard neck profile. It's not thick. Of course if someone is thinking on going vintage, all bets are off... I'm talking current (as in the last 30 years at least) production. When someone asks "which telecaster", 99% of the time they aren't talking about 50's vintage examples that they'd have to re-mortgage the house to purchase LOL

User Info Menu

check out rick kelly of carmine st guitars..he builds necks without trussrods...old style!!...they have to be beefy!!

(the kelly tele tech talk starts at the 4 minute mark-)

"sir dan!"

cheers

User Info Menu

"Pine neck" !!!

Fantastic sound.