The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 277

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by es34569
    The "tele-threads" finally took their toll on my GAS. Yesterday, I brought home a MIM tele Blacktop HH. I plugged it in and was really pleased with the jazz tones I was getting from the neck pup, even with the 9-42 strings. However, the huge plus was that my wife really liked its tone and gave me a thumbs up!
    Conclusive proof that not only can Telecasters give you jazz tones in a small and affordable package but can go some way to galvanise your relationships!

Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-dark-side-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-blacktop-tele-jpg
    Little Jay, it really happened. It is really a sweet playing instrument. I will be replacing the 9's with a set of pure nickel 11's. I don't care for the thin strings. The only thing sort of unusual about this particular model is the way Fender reversed the vol./tone control knobs/toggle switch. Different but nice.
    Chuck

User Info Menu

Reversing the controls is great for volume and tone swells, but why did they ditch the knurled knobs? Looks nice though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP
    Reversing the controls is great for volume and tone swells, but why did they ditch the knurled knobs? Looks nice though!
    This model is called the "Blacktop" so I'm guessing it's part of Fender's theme; but it'll only take a few minutes to change the present knobs.
    Chuck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    A Tele with the standard neck pickup works just fine for jazz. Ed Bickert played one that way for years. I use a Dimarzio stacked humbucker in my Tele- zero noise and sounds great for jazz with the tone rolled off 50%.
    Bill Lawrence also makes stacked humbucker pu's which look just like regular-size tele single-coil tele pu's. I have a set of L280/290 and they sound great....obviously quiet...but still retain some single-coil spank and twang but richer than true single-coils....kind of a mix between single-coil and real humbuckers. Bill Lawrence, the real Bill Lawrence, passed away a few years ago and his wife and son continue to build pu's under the name "Wilde", I believe it is. (The name "Bill Lawrence" was sold many years ago and the purchaser, who I believe is a German fellow, puts out pu's under the name "Bill Lawrence" as he is entitled to. The real individual, Bill Lawrence was formerly in Nazareth, PA but the operation has been moved out to California, somewhere I believe, but do a search for "Wilde" pickups and you'll find all the info. you need to know. Also, the Bill Lawrence/Wilde pu's are reasonably priced, about $100 a set or so...Bill and Becky Lawrence were real straight shooters (honest people) and put out very good, reasonably priced equipt., and I believe the tradition of fine products at a reasonable price is being continued by his son and his wife.

( I have no affiliation with them, but when I buy a good product from a private maker, that is fairly priced I am not shy about sharing my opinion. I have pu sets from Pete Biltoft at vintagevibe, Curtis Novak in North Carolina, and the Bill Lawrence pu's---and all are very, very good products.)

User Info Menu

Bill & Becky Lawrence's former business partner sells pickups under "Bill Lawrence USA." Bill & Becky sold/sell their pickups under a different brand name as a result of the settlement. There is a lot of info on the Internet about the legal situation, brand names, etc., some of it might even have some basis in reality. Quite the soap opera to read about. I have never dealt with either Bill & Becky or the previous partner and so have nothing but Internet gossip to go by.

My first guitar teacher had a Lawrence A400 neck mount pickup on his 40's L-7 and it was a fantastic sounding thing; this would have been ca. 1980-81 and I think before Bill and his previous business partner split. Helluva pickup and I was disappointed that Bill & Becky didn't sell one like it when I was looking for a full size neck mounted floater. Bill Lawrence USA still does sell the A400 but I have no idea if they are still any good. Man, that was a great sound through my teacher's '72 Pro Reverb- very true to the voice of the instrument.

Bill & Becky's site also offers quite a bit of information about pickups and guitar electronics. Their prices are very reasonable for boutique pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Bill & Becky Lawrence's former business partner sells pickups under "Bill Lawrence USA." Bill & Becky sold/sell their pickups under a different brand name as a result of the settlement. There is a lot of info on the Internet about the legal situation, brand names, etc., some of it might even have some basis in reality. Quite the soap opera to read about. I have never dealt with either Bill & Becky or the previous partner and so have nothing but Internet gossip to go by.

My first guitar teacher had a Lawrence A400 neck mount pickup on his 40's L-7 and it was a fantastic sounding thing; this would have been ca. 1980-81 and I think before Bill and his previous business partner split. Helluva pickup and I was disappointed that Bill & Becky didn't sell one like it when I was looking for a full size neck mounted floater. Bill Lawrence USA still does sell the A400 but I have no idea if they are still any good. Man, that was a great sound through my teacher's '72 Pro Reverb- very true to the voice of the instrument.

Bill & Becky's site also offers quite a bit of information about pickups and guitar electronics. Their prices are very reasonable for boutique pickups.
    Just to be chrystal-clear about this: My recommendation was based on personal knowledge of the Bill Lawrence/Wilde pickups items. The items sold under the "Bill Lawrence" name may well be good, but I simply have no basis for expressing an opinion, and therefore offer none. I can tell you that as a commercial lawyer, when businesses are bought and sold, substantial attention is paid to preserving "goodwill" as it resides in the form of brand names, trademarks, advt. etc. There is nothing sinister about this: My favorite "main squeeze" right now is a Gibson L4-CES but it certainly never was touched, or worked on by Orville Gibson who passed on decades before. Leo Fender sold the Fender company, and the rights to the "Fender" name, and when his non-compete covenant expired (and he had not died of a misdiagnosed terminal illness) he went back into business but had to do so under another name, e.g. G & L, and Music Man.

My only pt. in mentioning this, is that someone NOT familiar with, the dispute re: the Bill Lawrence-branded products might be buying something which is different from what they thought they were getting.
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 02-03-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: words missing in last sentence

User Info Menu

Bill Lawrence is a legend in pickup making.
    He worked for the major guitar brands like Gibson and Fender.
    Have a look here
    Bill Lawrence Official Website
    and here
    Bill Lawrence Website

User Info Menu

I'm thinking it may be time to scratch that Telecaster itch. I consider myself a Tele virgin, as long as a short but unhappy affair with a G&L ASAT doesn't count.

I'm not wanting to plunge in at the top end, as this will probably be my third string guitar, after a Peerless Gigmaster Jazz and Godin Montreal, so value for money is important, but feel the need for a solid body with single coils, just to ring the changes. On my "possibles" list is the Squier Classic Vibe, the Fender Standard (MIM) and the Classic Player Baja.

I have to say, I have read a lot of great reviews of the Squier, which, of course, is the cheapest, and in a very attractive finish, so I'm currently leaning towards the Squier. However, upgrade potential is important, as I tend to enjoy customising my gear (except the Godin, which is already perfect).

Fortunately there is a local store with all three of the aforementioned models in stock, so I will be able to try them before I make a decision, but I'm still interested to hear any views from the forum.

User Info Menu

This is what I eventually went with.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed

User Info Menu

You'll definitely want to play them.

IMO, the best bang for the buck is the MiM Standard. A good solid instrument at a reasonable price.

The last time I played a Squire, they were junk, but that was years ago, and I've heard people praising them in the last few years so maybe they've really improved. I dunno. If I were considering a Squire, I guess I'd take a really good look at it for manufacturing quality.

As far as upgrade potential goes, I would imagine the Squire would give you the most room. Obv., the less money you spend on the guitar itself, the more you can spend on parts, etc.

Another alternative would be to check out the used market. Something like a Highway 1 could be a really good deal if you can find the right seller.

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the G&L? Those are usually terrific.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    You'll definitely want to play them.

IMO, the best bang for the buck is the MiM Standard. A good solid instrument at a reasonable price.

The last time I played a Squire, they were junk, but that was years ago, and I've heard people praising them in the last few years so maybe they've really improved. I dunno. If I were considering a Squire, I guess I'd take a really good look at it for manufacturing quality.

As far as upgrade potential goes, I would imagine the Squire would give you the most room. Obv., the less money you spend on the guitar itself, the more you can spend on parts, etc.

Another alternative would be to check out the used market. Something like a Highway 1 could be a really good deal if you can find the right seller.

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the G&L? Those are usually terrific.
    I just thought I'd mention that I totally agree about the Squier's. As a general rule they are junk. But every once in a while you find a good one like I did but the ratio of good to bad is probably like 1 in 20.

User Info Menu

So here's a fanfare for Squire.

I have two Squires, a J Mascis Jazzmaster and a Tele Classic Vibe 60's Custom.

Both are very well made fit and finish.

I had a USA Tele years ago which I should have kept but hey ho!

I've changed the nut, swapped the pickups to Alnico 2's, changed the scratch plate, had a 5 way switch mod but recently changed to a 4 way, covered the electric cavity with copper shielding, changed the saddles to compensated brass and then bought a bridge cover/ashtray!

Did I have to do so much work on it? No. It was good as it was, not junk. I just like tinkering with things.

So the neck, frets and fingerboard are great. no issues.

Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-dsc_1187-360x640-jpg
    The maple has a lovely narrow grain, always a good sign when buying from the cheaper end of the market.

Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-dsc_1189-640x360-jpg
    Great fretwork and that fingerboard has darkened to a deep dark brown, mmmm!

I have had flatwound 12's on it and currently I have nickel plated roundwound 12's and it handles the tension with no issues. I have it set with very slight relief and the string action is 1.5mm for bottom E and 1.25mm for top E.

I guess you could say with the extra expense I would have been better off getting a MiM Tele but I disagree.

I bought this Tele off of ebay in 2013 for a reasonable £200/$265/€238 purely to house a Biltoft CC Rider pickup I had. If it was useless I would have flipped it PDQ.
    I was immediately impressed with its quality and it fast became a keeper.

Back in 2011 I went looking for a Tele in a music shop and ended up with the Jazzmaster. I tried all sorts of Tele's and I guess I was bombarded with colours and pickup configurations. My head was buzzing. I couldn't understand the big increases in cost from the Affinity to the MiM when essentially they are the same basic specs. I get the USA and custom shop stuff as you can tell the difference but all the rest are too close in quality to justify the large leaps in price.

I tried a rosewood fingerboard Squier Affinity Tele and was impressed by it. It played well but the pickups were definitely student level.

Anyway, the Jazzmaster really spoke to me on that occasion and I felt at home with it almost immediately. It is now my Number 1 solid bodied gig guitar.

However, this Tele is fast approaching on the inside!

Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-dsc_1162-640x360-jpg
    The aesthetic of the sunburst and CC pickup cover, the three ply scratchplate and custom binding.
    Luvvley.

But I guess I was lucky. It's tweaked now and is the first to get played during my music practice.

User Info Menu

Boston Joe - the G&L Tribute was a good player and very nicely finished, but I didn't bond with the tone - which I believe was mainly due to the pickups. If it were easy to swap the MFDs for more conventional single coils I probably would have done so, but an opportunity came up to move it on, so I did so, thinking my Tele itch was cured. Apparently not.

I should have added to the opening post that I am looking for the versatility that the Tele seems to offer. I enjoy playing jazz, blues and rock; and expect to do all three with the new acquisition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    I'm thinking it may be time to scratch that Telecaster itch...Fortunately there is a local store with all three of the aforementioned models in stock, so I will be able to try them before I make a decision....
    Since all three of the guitars are reasonably well-regarded as instruments that offer fair value, why not play them all and purchase the one that feels the best to you? It's called "running the rack." At the end of the day, there is enough variebility among similar guitars so that one may stand out from the others.

When I purchased my first Telecaster many years ago, I picked it out from a group of thirty similar Telecasters - they were all the same price, with similar features, but there was one that I preferred over the rest.

User Info Menu

Whatever you do, make sure your first tele is a TELE. 25.5" scale, two single coil pickups, and a maple neck (rosewood board is permissible)

My favorite budget teles are the MIM 50'S and 60's classic. Outstanding guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Whatever you do, make sure your first tele is a TELE. 25.5" scale, two single coil pickups, and a maple neck (rosewood board is permissible)...
    Funny...Not my first Tele but I don't presently have one. I am on my way to build a 25.125" scale, single neck Fralin P-92 with an ebony fretboard. Single piece swamp ash body at 4 lbs. I have everything on the way except for the neck. Can't decide on a profile.

User Info Menu

I don't need another Tele, but if I did, I'd grab a nice blonde Road Worn, and spend some money on the frets, tuners, and pick ups. I've been looking at Mojo telecaster pick ups. Worth a look.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear you couldn't bond with an ASAT. I love my Special, although I popped my cherry years ago with a Thinline.

User Info Menu

I agree find a place with a huge selection of Teles and play them til you find the one you like. Ignore where it was made and whether it has a Squier on it or not. There should be a fine slew of used Teles around as well.

I have a bit of a FrankenTele that supposedly started out as a MIM, but now has a Warmoth neck, GFS paulownia body and SD pickups. Awesome guitar especially for jazz.

I also have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass, which is a quality instrument that definitely holds its own against more expensive instruments.

User Info Menu

I have a wealthy student who bought me an MIM Standard after I had sold an American Standard that I never bonded with and was ready to swear off Teles after having several. In short, the simple little MIM Telecaster slays the others. Make sure it has an ashtray bridge and spend a little more to get some compensated saddles, since the Mexicans typically won't come with them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbucklin
    I have a wealthy student who bought me an MIM Standard after I had sold an American Standard that I never bonded with and was ready to swear off Teles after having several. In short, the simple little MIM Telecaster slays the others. Make sure it has an ashtray bridge and spend a little more to get some compensated saddles, since the Mexicans typically won't come with them.
    an ashtray bridge? But you take the cover off, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Endorphins
    an ashtray bridge? But you take the cover off, right?
    Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just talking about the vintage-style bridge, which I refer to as the ashtray. I've never seen a Tele that came with the cover.

User Info Menu

i had a Baja tele and liked it. Nicely made, great pickups, fancy electronics and a big fat neck. Really nice.

User Info Menu

The bajas are great guitars.