The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 277

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Danno, an original Pro Reverb? Very nice. The photo looks great too.
    Yes sir, a 1967. This amp makes any guitar sound like a million bucks, especially Teles.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Squire vintage modified - I own one. Jazzmaster neck and pup. TI Jazz flat 12s. Nice jazz sound. I got it on sale for $200, they can be had for less than $300 on-line with discount codes and free shipping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mateusz
    I know about Ed Bickert. He is one of my favourite guitar players but I prefer humbucker sound. Unfortunately i heard that LTD has big, xj frets like guitar for shredding and I dont like it. Rather, I will buy a "normal" telecaster. There are a lot of different models in this price like squiers and blade or vintage telecaster copies. Also a used MIM Fender. Which one you think is the best?
    I would look for a used MIM Tele which should be easily in your price range, especially since most of them come routed for a neck humbucker for when you want to make that change. Personally I prefer the sound of the solid plank Teles to the sound of the semi-hollow ones, but that may not be the same for you. Generally I think an alder body sounds better for jazz than ash, but I'd not be surprised if Ed's Tele was ash.

While someone mentioned the interchangeability of Teles, that is not necessarily true with the Asian made ones. My Tele started out as a Squier Affinity made-in-China one for $180; I didn't want to spend a lot if it wasn't going to stick. I liked the feel and the sound- putting .012s on it really helped the jazz sound- but the neck was really skinny at the nut. It sounded really very good with just the change in the strings, but the electronics were a little noisy so..... (object lesson ahead)

I got a great deal on a vintage finished 1 3/4" Warmoth compound radius neck and put that on- huge improvement. I replaced the pickups with Dimarzio Area T stacked humbuckers (so I didn't have to rout the neck pickup out), replaced the rest of the electronics and shielded everything with copper foil. That meant buying a new control plate because the original one has holes a bit too small for standard CTS pots. Et cetera. I spent probably three times as much on the upgrades as I did buying it! All that's left is the body, pickguard (which is non-standard) and bridge. Sheesh. But it plays and sounds absolutely great, I get compliments all the time on my tone. Buying a MIM Tele would have saved me a fair amount of farting around, would have been cheaper in the long run, and would have made the option for putting in a Classic 57 or a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary neck 'bucker much simpler.

The quest for tone is a sickness. Most the jazz greats got their guitars, twisted the knobs till they sounded pretty good, and then focused on what they were playing instead of the equipment...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    As for the humbucker, I agree that they're nice but not necessary. I changed out a single coil neck pickup for a humbucker in my Tele and frankly I don't think it made much difference. Your sound is in your hands.
    Ed apparently swapped his single coil for a humbucker in the late 70s to be able to balance the strings better with his hybrid picking style, rather than for any perceived deficiency in his sound.

User Info Menu

Make sure to check out the Fender Modern Player Thinline Deluxe P90. They are relatively cheap (made in China), but I like mine a lot (although mine is fitted with a Squier rosewood neck), with .012 flatwounds it's an instant jazz axe!

User Info Menu

There are some very cheap (U$S 100-130) SX ( made in China) teles coming with alder or swamp ash bodies and maple necks and fingerboards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Ed apparently swapped his single coil for a humbucker in the late 70s to be able to balance the strings better with his hybrid picking style, rather than for any perceived deficiency in his sound.
    I think he has good string balance with his hybrid picking style on single coil also.
    I am sure humbucker is simply louder pick up than single coile and with a little fatter-warmer sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I think he has good string balance with his hybrid picking style on single coil also.
    I am sure humbucker is simply louder pick up than single coile and with a little fatter-warmer sound.
    A humbucker has twice as many coils!

User Info Menu

Completely agree with jazzbow - Classic Vibe 50s and insert SD Alnico II in neck position or humbucker to taste ( already routed ). Bonne affaire!

User Info Menu

I've had a MIM 69 reissue thinline tele. It was great for fat jazzy tones with the stock electronics. Although obviously twangy at heart, like any tele.

I now have a Yamaha pacifica T style. It's a project guitar made from ebay parts and it sounds and plays great! I've spent all of 87 USD on it! Also stock single cool pups amd sounds great for jazz.

K

User Info Menu

Dzien dobry panie. American, here, but I've been to Poland and France many times.

I think almost any Telecaster is good for jazz, but I favor the regular, original-style Telecaster with single-coil pickups. The neck pickup on the Telecaster gets a great sound for playing jazz, IMO.

I play my '52 reissue daily. It is my guitar for picking up and working out new ideas. It is supremely comfortable and it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Dzien dobry panie.
    Cześć

I would like to thank you all for your help. It's really nice and I appreciate it. I have not decided yet, but thanks to you I know what I should look for. I am considering the purchase of Fender Standard MIM or Modern Player Thinline (realy like the p90 style pickups and semi hollow body). However, if anyone has anything to add, please go ahead. Once again, thank you.

User Info Menu

I like my Tele with the standard pickups--has a Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 SC pickup in it which is perfect for jazz.

I think the setup and strings make a big difference, as well--I like pure nickel strings. But you can get a good jazz sound out of a lot of Teles with the neck pickup, including single coils.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keira Witherkay
    any telecaster that you like the feel of will do for jazz ....

the advantage of a tele is that the parts are easily interchangeable.... so if you want a different neck or pickups or body or tuners just swop em out .... there are lots of replacement parts from very cheap to high end readily available and you can strip down a tele in 30 min with a screwdriver and a soldering iron .... so they very easy to customise to suit your personal needs as a player ...
    Hi Keira, those are really great advantages of teles but I never heard the "case for" put so succinctly and compellingly before.

I had my Am STD modded with a new pick guard and a neck stormy Monday HB with push pull split coil on the volume pot. Even with the coil split I don't enjoy it as much as with the stock s/c neck pup. I would like to put the original guard back on with the stock s/c neck pup.

I don't have the original stock volume pot though. Would I be better to replace the push/pull volume with a standard Fender pot?

User Info Menu

Check out the Modern Player Telecaster Plus. MIC with humbucker at the bridge plus two single coils. As an added bonus there is a coil tapping switch for the humbucker. HSS with coil splitting will give the player a huge variety on tonal qualities. Only $399 in the States.

Last edited by Alder Statesman; 01-13-2015 at 10:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I have a 52 reissue with Kinman Broadcasters and a 4 way switch. sounds wonderful, and almost no noise. NOT a humbucker tone on the neck, though, but a warmer Tele tone.
    I too have an American Vintage 52 reissue where I put a DiMarzio Twang King in the neck. Nice tone, also for Jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mateusz
    Cześć

I would like to thank you all for your help. It's really nice and I appreciate it. I have not decided yet, but thanks to you I know what I should look for. I am considering the purchase of Fender Standard MIM or Modern Player Thinline (realy like the p90 style pickups and semi hollow body). However, if anyone has anything to add, please go ahead. Once again, thank you.
    Between a MIM and the MPT (I own both) I favor the MIM by a fairly wide margin -- it's simply a better built guitar with better parts, neck, body, etc. My MIM is an ash FSR. Looks like they upped the price $100 I did replace the pups on my MIM with Lollars, but the stock pups were fine, especially for jazz, but they didn't humbuck in the middle position, so they had to go.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the helpful info. I'm looking into buying a Tele (maybe) soon. While the custom guitars are cool, I have a real hankering for just the classic guitar.

That said, I've always liked the Tele's with P90's.

A friend of mine gets some good sounds with a Mexican Tele - he's moving a little more towards Bill Frisell then say Ed Bickert tonally. He also has a Suhr tele, which is a lovely guitar but a obviously lot more expensive. Anyway he's modded the Mexican to have a Charlie Christian in the neck. Can't say I notice a massive difference. He was playing an Ibanez 335 type guitar but is now I think performing only on Teles, and I have to say he has a great sound.

The Graham Coxon model looks great for jazz (!) but is a bit above your price point. Haven't tried it.

Squier classic vibe are some very tasty guitars. A little light in the woods? The Custom II is a nice axe too, you might want to swap out the electrics, but you'd have saved enough money to do that. Build wise, they always felt well made to me, nice and heavy.

I haven't played the LTD's but I understand they're Korean made?
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-15-2015 at 07:48 PM.

User Info Menu

It also might be worth saving up a bit more and buying an old Japanese Squire or a Tokai. These seem to be going for about $500+ and are unlikely to depreciate, so you can upgrade without losing money. I have an MiJ E series Squier strat. Solid guitar, though not as sought after as the JV's.

Not good for modding though.
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-15-2015 at 08:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I haven't played the LTD's but I understand they're Korean made?
    LTD Te 202 is made in Vietnam. And I have to admit that it is well made. Unfortunately LTD have xj frets which I do not like.

User Info Menu

Amazing amount of good suggestions here. The obvious choice not mentioned is the dual humbucker FMT Fender. I got a near new one for $400. Most acoustic sounding tele to me but also an infinite variety of sound adjustments in it. artb

User Info Menu

I just started playing my partscaster tele again and thought it really hit the tones I want beautifully. So of course I then though that if my partscaster is that good, maybe I should look at upgrading to a really nice high end tele.

I headed over to the local guitar store with a couple grand in my pocket and my partscaster, for direct comparison. I tried everything they had including deludes, standards, custom shop, used, new, a Suhr along with a few other high end off brands. Nothing came close to being as good as my tele.

I built it myself from parts bought on line. The pick-ups are Bare Knuckle vintage.

User Info Menu

Playerizor,

Nothing wrong with a partscaster. My two favorite Fenders I have ever had are (1) a parts Tele I concocted from an '83 body and electronics (top loader) and an All-Parts neck that I used to replace the '83 neck, and (2) a Nash S-57 strat-guitar that is better than either my '65 or '68 Stratocasters were. (I sold the '68 to purchase the Nash. If that isn't an endorsement of a "parts guitar," I don't know what is. My '68 was completely original and was a beauty...it's just that the Nash was even better.)

Enjoy.

User Info Menu

The "tele-threads" finally took their toll on my GAS. Yesterday, I brought home a MIM tele Blacktop HH. It was priced just under $500, which may be near your budget. Most of all, I am really happy with it. It comes stock with dual humbuckers and a rosewood FB, which were two things that I wanted. After a few minor setup adjustments, I plugged it in and was really pleased with the jazz tones I was getting from the neck pup, even with the 9-42 strings. However, the huge plus was that my wife really liked its tone and gave me a thumbs up!

User Info Menu

I've just swapped the BKP Stormy Monday out of my Am Stan and put the original single coil back in. God it feels like having and old flame back! There is more pronounced bass, bordering on a bit much but the clarity through the jazzking and the blues jnr is beautiful. Save all the gear hassle. Just play a Fender guitar into a Fender amp. Very American sound but perhaps we really do make things hard for ourselves by imagining jazz sounds like it comes from anywhere else