The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 277

User Info Menu

Every single G&L I found on eBay has a 1 5/8" nut width. Despite their good looks and sometimes nice prices, that's a deal breaker for me. I'll stick to my Warmoth Tele with the 1.75" nut.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Every single G&L I found on eBay has a 1 5/8" nut width. Despite their good looks and sometimes nice prices, that's a deal breaker for me. I'll stick to my Warmoth Tele with the 1.75" nut.
    Yeah, they do have one neck option with a 1 11/16, I think it might be called the nr.4 neck. If you order one you can get this neck, it is very rare to see the production models with the wider than 1 5/8. They might have an 1 3/4 option too, I am not sure. I was offered an endorsement deal once from G&L and was about to order a strat style, Legacy with the
    1 11/16 neck option. I ended up not going through with the deal(didn't have anything to do with the guitars). They are very fine instruments but I always wished my ASAT deluxe, that I bought long time ago, had a 1 1/16 nut and a fatter shape, is is simply too skinny. I believe fat neck guitars often sound better. My Fender custom shop classic(custom shop version of the American Standard-now discontinued), has a a great fat C-shaped neck with a 1 1/16 nut. Much better than the American standard modern C. The American standards are really well made guitars, too bad they don't offer bigger necks. If you like the I 3/4 nut, check out the Larrivee Bakersfield tele-style, looks great.

User Info Menu

Here are the G&L guitar options, starting with necks profiles/widths (10 choices including 1 11/16 and 1 3/4" nuts): G&L USA Guitar Options.

Unfortunately, their default is a skinny 1 5/8". I didn't even consider them until I found out about all their options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Here are the G&L guitar options, starting with necks profiles/widths (10 choices including 1 11/16 and 1 3/4" nuts): G&L USA Guitar Options.

Unfortunately, their default is a skinny 1 5/8". I didn't even consider them until I found out about all their options.
    Thanks for the link, so the neck profile I talked about is the nr.3( 1 11/16 nut) and they do indeed make a 1 3/4 which is the nr.4. I think they would have done a lot better with their guitars if they put some of these out there in the stores, most people might not know you can order them like that. These days more and more people seem to like bigger necks, in the 80's and 90'd it was the other way around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco
    Thanks for the link, so the neck profile I talked about is the nr.3( 1 11/16 nut) and they do indeed make a 1 3/4 which is the nr.4. I think they would have done a lot better with their guitars if they put some of these out there in the stores, most people might not know you can order them like that. These days more and more people seem to like bigger necks, in the 80's and 90'd it was the other way around.
    There was some talk on the G&L forum (The G&L Enthusiasts Website) about changing the default nut width, as well as adding more profiles, but I don't think the discussion went very far.

I agree that G&L should make more of an effort in advertising that you can easily custom order a guitar. Over in Fender land, people grouse about how the model they want comes in only two or three colour options, or that they want model A's neck but model B's bridge... With G&L practically every model can be ordered with any of 50 finishes, and so on...

I like the those G&L Bluesboy semi-hollows! And you can't beat their price; it's true. Only thing I would say is they don't sound like Telecasters. I believe if I were going to go down that sort of Custom route, I might build a Warmoth Thinline with a Tele single-coil at the neck and a Wide Range at the bridge, instead. You know, with Warmoth you could even do the top in spruce and the neck and fingerboard in rosewood and ebony for about the same price as a Fender American Vintage Thinline. And like somebody mentioned earlier, with those, you get the fun of putting it together and making it work. Maybe next time around..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Count me in! I ordered a USA ASAT Special yesterday. I wanted a wide fretboard, so I went the custom order route.

I've been wanting a T-style guitar for a long time but I realized that I was not interested in iconic Telecaster features: I didn't want a maple fretboard, or the Tele bridge/bridgeplate, vintage frets or radius.

I checked out a ASAT Special and loved the Jumbo MFD single coils. The guitar sold itself to me.
    Did you get the solid body or the semi-hollowbody? Also an out of town pro guitarist I know says he exclusively uses the D'Addario 9.5 on his ASAT. Would like to know what setup you use?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzchief1
    Did you get the solid body or the semi-hollowbody? Also an out of town pro guitarist I know says he exclusively uses the D'Addario 9.5 on his ASAT. Would like to know what setup you use?
    I started worrying about the cost of all the options adding up, so I went with a solid body.

As for strings, I like flat wounds with a wound G, even on a Tele. I'm going with Tomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing 13s (JS-113). I don't know what string gauge the guitar comes with, but the nut is going to need to be filed for the T-Is.

EDIT: and I've already come up with a name for the guitar: Ed (for Ed Bickert). All my other guitars have feminine names so I decided it was time for change.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 01-23-2013 at 03:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I am using Curt Mangan 11-48's on my ASAT.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone. I am looking for a guitar to modern jazz under 400$. I wonder if the LTD TE 202 or 212 would be okay. Have any of you tried it and can share your opinion? LTD drew my attention because it is tele with neck humbucker and i heard that telecasters are very good guitar for jazz especially with humbucker. I wonder if it's worth to buy and upgrade by putting another pickup like seymour duncan jazz model humbucker or 59' model. What are you thinking about it? I would be grateful for any help. Or maybe at this price I can find something better? And sorry for my english, but this is not my main language because by parentage I am half Polish and half French (just like Chopin )
    Last edited by Mateusz; 01-11-2015 at 01:20 PM.

User Info Menu

First off your English is fine!
    I considered one of those LTD's for my Jazzy Tele project but I found a nice cheaper Squier vibe 60's instead. Most modern Fenders and Squiers have a humbucker cut under the scratchplate. So if you want that '59 H/B sound don't have to confine your self to the LTD.

I would say though is the LTD would be fine for your Jazz project.

What I would say that humbuckers and single coils on the same guitar needs a weird combination volume pot or resistors soldered into the loop but if you are buying a brand new LTD or Tele Custom there shouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by jazzbow; 01-10-2015 at 03:50 PM.

User Info Menu

A Tele with the standard neck pickup works just fine for jazz. Ed Bickert played one that way for years. I use a Dimarzio stacked humbucker in my Tele- zero noise and sounds great for jazz with the tone rolled off 50%.

User Info Menu

I know about Ed Bickert. He is one of my favourite guitar players but I prefer humbucker sound. Unfortunately i heard that LTD has big, xj frets like guitar for shredding and I dont like it. Rather, I will buy a "normal" telecaster. There are a lot of different models in this price like squiers and blade or vintage telecaster copies. Also a used MIM Fender. Which one you think is the best?

User Info Menu

any telecaster that you like the feel of will do for jazz ....

the advantage of a tele is that the parts are easily interchangeable.... so if you want a different neck or pickups or body or tuners just swop em out .... there are lots of replacement parts from very cheap to high end readily available and you can strip down a tele in 30 min with a screwdriver and a soldering iron .... so they very easy to customise to suit your personal needs as a player ...
    Last edited by Keira Witherkay; 01-11-2015 at 01:28 PM.

User Info Menu

The new Squier Vintage Modified '72 Tele Thinline is getting a lot of love these days on the Telecaster and Squier forums, and its street price here in the US is about $300 (or less with promotions or discounts):

Squier® Vintage Modified '72 Tele Thinline | Telecaster Squier Electric Guitars | Squier by Fender®

It has an ash body and maple neck and fingerboard, and also comes with Fender-branded Wide Range Humbuckers and Fender-branded saddles. The only problem is that it's been so popular that the larger on-line retailers have had a hard time keeping it in stock!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mateusz
    Thanks for the response. However, I would prefer not to disassemble my guitar, unless to change pickup. But I wonder which one I should buy. There are so many guitars in this price range.
    As Cunamara suggested, there are "stacked humbucker" pickups available that are the size and shape of a neck Tele available, so you could still get humbucker sound and not even have to cut into your existing pickguard. Some of these (most?) look like "blade" pickups. Disassembly not required. :-)

Speaking of "blades", I have a Blade "strat" (Classic RH4) and it's wonderful; I would bet one of their Teles would be, too.

Or any Fender or Squire you like. G&Ls are especially nice, and they make a highly regarded "Tribute" import line, built in Asia but with largely USA hardware. They also make a nice semi-hollow if you want a touch more 'air' in your sound.

Most importantly, if at all possible, I would attempt to try them each out in person to see how they feel in your hands... and then adding the pickup of your choice once that's done (and only if necessary). (By the way, many regard the SD Jazz pickup as possibly being a bit bright for most jazz.)

Best of luck in your search...
    Last edited by ooglybong; 01-18-2015 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Added Blade model.

User Info Menu

Mexican Tele Fenders are good.

User Info Menu

Stretch just a little, and get the Baja telecaster.

Custom shop designed, but MIM by the cousins of the guys in California.

Nice chunky neck, great tone.

User Info Menu

Ah's n Americun n yor inglish is purrfet, French-Pollack boy. U shud no us 'mericuns cain't spell n cain't rite n we mighty proud of it. Last few Spellin Bees is Injuns...Frum India. Imagine dat. Ah cain't fine no India on de USA map but teechur said id's yeast of Illini, Illino, Illinnu, Souf of Michigone.

Sorry is for loosers and/or furriners...I cain't make up mah mind a terribul thang to waist. U fanci pantz furriners wid purrfet inglish better not apologizze cuz us 'mercains dun like snotty furriners hoo can rite n spell n score 700 on the SAT Verbal widout tryin n make us look stoopid. We like inglish de way it is so dun mess it up fur us or we fix ya gud.

S fur yor original kweshun a Yamaha Pacifica Tele-style wid Seymour Duncan pikup wurks wundrrs fur unter $400. It may be made by our latest enemies of de hour, dem Commie Republik of Commie Chineese butt it is gud cuz dem chop suey Commie Chineese haf not heard of 'Mericun Kraftsmanship, its 50% dud rate out the door, coffee donut breaks on the kompany's dime, minimum wage n unions. Us 'mericains gotta find sum dum goy 2 hate n sum dim sum commie dum dum issit fur now.

Dun tred on mi. Ah's Americun n Ah speak inglish.

User Info Menu

I have a tele with a humbucker ( the american standard HH ) and it's great for jazz. With flat wounds it sounds fatter than some of my jazz boxes with great sparkly tones and sustain.

User Info Menu

I have a 52 reissue with Kinman Broadcasters and a 4 way switch. sounds wonderful, and almost no noise. NOT a humbucker tone on the neck, though, but a warmer Tele tone.

User Info Menu

Here's what's under the lid of my Squier 60's vibe Tele

Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-img_0304-478x640-jpg
    Here's what it looks like

Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-img_0331-640x478-jpg
    And this is after shielding. It does have shielding paint but I have some copper shielding and there you go!

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Stretch just a little, and get the Baja telecaster.

Custom shop designed, but MIM by the cousins of the guys in California.

Nice chunky neck, great tone.
    I've played the 50's maple fingerboard and the new 60's rosewood fingerboard versions. I found the switching system they both have very frustrating and in my mind would be ditched. The 50's neck was chunky and playable and the fit and finish was nice, but I passed on it because I was looking for rosewood and due to my not liking the switching was too much coin for faffing about.

I tried the newer 60's version 2 weeks ago, yep, still didn't like the switching system. The neck was slimmer but still playable! Comparing it to my Squier Tele there was no contest, the Squier is as good a player but my mods push it further passed the Baja (Bahaa and not Badger) in terms of tone and flexibility.

Now I'm not knocking the Baja, it's good, does lots of tricks and was the brain child of a custom shop luthier in Fender HQ. Well that kind of shows; and as Kiera pointed out, Teles are easily customisable.

So where guitars are concerned we have to find what works well for us as individual musicians. My journey has seen me spend lots of cash and tears of frustration finding what fits.

My perfect guitar is long scale with either a P90 or a Charlie Christian pickup in the neck position.

The Squier Tele came about as a platform for a pickup I had (and not the other way around). I put to work my tech skills to its playability and electrics and I cannot fault it in any way.

Would I spend more on this perfect guitar idea in my head?

If I had the disposable cash then the answer would be yes for a custom build from G&L.

Am I happy with the Squier? Yes. I wouldn't sell it.

If the custom build ever happens then my son will have it on the understanding never to sell it.

On the subject of G&L check this out.

Nice huh!

Surprisingly affordable too, just hard to come by.

The Squier Classic Vibe Tele's a really nice for the price, as are the Vintage Modified Squires. I was dead set on getting a Tele and ended up getting the Squier Strat Classic Vibe. Picked it up brand new for $400-ish. I am totally in love with that guitar. I'd say go play a bunch of them before you make up your mind. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Classic Series 50s Tele with SD Antiquities here. I have mine set up with 11-50 roundwounds, and honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to grab this guitar for any gig I'd normally use an ES-175 with flatwounds for. I prefer the clarity of the stock single coil in the neck, although a humbucker in a Tele is cool. Keep in mind, vintage Tele pickups are a bit fatter than your typical Strat pickup, so IMO there's not that much to gain if you're switching to a PAF-style bucker - they can be surprisingly more similar-sounding than you'd think. Just listen to how similar Ed Bickert's Tele sounded before and after the neck hum bucker. Or for that matter, in a different context, how similar Jimmy Page's Tele on Led Zeppelin I and II sounds to his sunburst Les Paul on later albums. The vintage, stock Tele configuration is incredibly versatile.

I'm not sure how easy they are to find where you are, I bought mine used for about $450.
    Attached Images Attached Images Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-dsc_0085-jpg 

User Info Menu

Danno, an original Pro Reverb? Very nice. The photo looks great too.