The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Posts 376 to 388 of 388

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    Maybe I need to try blunting them. I find I use them a little on the side rather than using the tip directly.
    Be prepared to put in effort. That Ultex is hard. The upside is that it's hard to over-shoot. You'll know when its right when you get there!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have picks made from all sorts of materials - wood, bone, buffalo horn, metal, many different types of plastic. Some I've made myself, many I bought. Wood gives a bright tone for playing rhythm, but a darker tone for single notes. Bone is too bright for me, horn too dark. Rubber is a non-starter for me, but anyone else is welcome to use whatever they like. I mostly like some sort of plastic, because it hits the sweet center of tone, price, and availability. Ultex is pretty good. The old standard Fender Heavy works. I like Blue Chips, but not exclusively. I'm sort of a wanton slut when it comes to picks. I can't use just one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    rubber guitar picks
    Thanks. Amazon.fr doesn't seem to carry them, and I wanted to try the "hard" version which I could only get from Germany (and only about twice their price for shipping...) We'll see, judging from the feedback they should do what I'm after - now if only they'll also have a reasonable lifetime.

I like these on my jumbo but they're a little tricky for fast, soft (as in piano) picking, but that's probably mostly because I rarely use a pick anyway:
    Toutes nos excuses

Strangely enough I find that my jumbo is a bit less prone to fret buzz when I play with a pick rather than with my fingers but it's the opposite on the archtop. Must be that my picking movenent is different due to the strings being higher off the top.

User Info Menu

I use Ultex 1.0 and 1.14, good tone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    rubber guitar picks, Sorry! Something went wrong!
    Wedgies? All I saw on Amazon was a bunch of women underwear...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Wedgies? All I saw on Amazon was a bunch of women underwear...
    That's weird; my link does (still) take me to the appropriate product page on the US A'zon site.

These picks are ... weird too. About as flexible as a thin no-brand pick, and the sound sits between the sound of those and of a fat/heavy pick. There's a strident quality to the sound that I wasn't expecting at all. The rubber does prevent pick noise and it's easier to play really softly because the rubber indeed grabs the string. I'll keep them for my nylon-resonator; they sound acceptable there and won't make as much noise if I hit the coverplate (which happens way too easily).

User Info Menu

I use Blue Chip's BC Jazz LG 60 the most.

Sometimes will use a ProPlec 1.5

User Info Menu

Blue Chip BC Jazz 60 for me too. I figured I'd spent so much on guitars and amps, why not spend too much on a pick as well? As it turns out, I really like it. Definite improvement in tone to my ears. And it must be one lucky pick. It's brown, spends most of its time on my brown wooden desk, occasionally falls on to my brown wooden floor, and once found its way under my brown sofa. And I still haven't lost it.
    Last edited by CliffR; 04-16-2022 at 09:52 AM.

User Info Menu

About those brown colored Blue Chips....

I started with one Jazz LG 60.....lost it and bought another.
    Then misplaced that second one for awhile....left it stuck in the strings on a less used guitar I had put back in its case and forgot about it.
    So bought yet another to replace that one....then the other two surfaced again and now I have three.

I like this pick enough to buy one three times!

User Info Menu

Lol! Totally worth it, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I love my Wood Tones ebony pick on nylon strings, but they wear too quickly on steel strings.
    Rubber? I was just thinking about that, how a pick made of very stiff rubber could give you the fat tone of wood but still have that bit of flexibility allowing faster playing, NOT get the little artefact sound when the pick hits the string and maybe also have some rosin aspect to its sound. Any suggestions who make them?
    Take a look a Ibanez Elastomer guitar picks on Amazon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zizala
    About those brown colored Blue Chips....

I started with one Jazz LG 60.....lost it and bought another.
    Then misplaced that second one for awhile....left it stuck in the strings on a less used guitar I had put back in its case and forgot about it.
    So bought yet another to replace that one....then the other two surfaced again and now I have three.

I like this pick enough to buy one three times!
    I have a Jazz LG 35,50, and two 40's. Because I have guitars all over the house! I know, hopelessly self-indulgent.

I like the 35 for .010's, the 40 for .012's, and the 50 for acoustic. They all sound a bit different, but have a good solid tone. Plus I can't seem to wear them out.

The trick is to keep track of them. I have been lucky in that regard.