The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Posts 351 to 375 of 388

User Info Menu

Don't see a way to order the Pliks picks (Don't have a Facebook account)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From Plek Picks about asymmetrical bevelling:

On the other hand, for those who are left-handed or who use the reverse pick "a la benson" the bevel must be done in reverse.

I cannot unsee that image. Is that move called The George Benson à la mode now???

Pardon my Italian: fotto di sotto. Max405, I think I just learnt a new cuss phrase in Italian. Heh! Heh!

Original text in Italian:

Invece per chi è mancino o usa la plettrata inversa "a la benson" (fotto di sotto) lo smusso dovrà essere fatto all'inverso.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Where can someone order 200 pro plecs? They seem to be very difficult to find, almost nowhere in Europe..
    16 bags of 12 each

User Info Menu

What do you high-volume pick users do with the picks when they are worn?

User Info Menu

No matter how expensive a pick or what it's made of, i wear off the tip after a while, so the pick gets shorter and shorter, plus the sound changes. Couple of weeks at best, much less with acoustic strings (although i usually play fingers with acoustics)..

I give or throw them away.. still have stashes at home..

User Info Menu

tortex 1.5 for me, for years and years, i try other ones and buy them, but that's my mainstay... consistent, easy to find and inexpensive

User Info Menu

No matter how expensive a pick or what it's made of, i wear off the tip after a while, so the pick gets shorter and shorter, plus the sound changes. Couple of weeks at best, much less with acoustic strings (although i usually play fingers with acoustics)..

I give or throw them away.. still have stashes at home..
    Not my experience. I am using the same Pleks pick already more than two years, and I play a lot.

User Info Menu

You will never need 200 Blue Chip picks. One will last you for more than a year, even if you use it for 12 hours/day every day. Just sayin...

User Info Menu

don't see any 4mm, $$ would be too high anyways
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 08-24-2020 at 12:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You will never need 200 Blue Chip picks. One will last you for more than a year, even if you use it for 12 hours/day every day. Just sayin...
    Well, first of all, I find a guitar pick once a week on the sidewalk that I've apparently dropped while walking the dog and digging plastic bags out of my pocket so no thanks to leaving a $50 pick on the sidewalk.

But also, I've heard through dms from several folks who say the proplecs pretty much sound the same and have the same slipperyness as the blue chip so I'll pass on them.

User Info Menu

OK, it's your money, and if you want to use it to buy hundreds of picks, that's certainly your prerogative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Well, first of all, I find a guitar pick once a week on the sidewalk that I've apparently dropped while walking the dog and digging plastic bags out of my pocket so no thanks to leaving a $50 pick on the sidewalk.
    (snip)
    Which reminds me of this ancient tale which is dear to my heart, as told by Adrian Legg.

Jazz Guitar Pick-legg-jpg

User Info Menu

Where can someone order 200 pro plecs? They seem to be very difficult to find, almost nowhere in Europe..
    At last one thing with which we in Finland have things better!

http://www.millbrook.fi/index.php?x_...o+plec&HAE=HAE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker

But also, I've heard through dms from several folks who say the proplecs pretty much sound the same and have the same slipperyness as the blue chip so I'll pass on them.
    I have a couple of blue chip picks, and from personal experience I can tell you, you treat them differently from cheaper picks. If I receive a dollar bill in change, I might just stuff it in my front pocket. A thousand dollar bill, not so much.

Also from personal experience, propleks and blue chips are as different as night and day in both sound and feel. Granted, this is a very personal thing and your experience could be different.

User Info Menu

With $0.25 picks, I don't worry at all about keeping up with them. With a $35.00 pick, I take more care. I have several Blue Chip picks of various shapes and sizes, mostly received as gifts, and I have never lost one. I have yet to see any visible wear on one. People think nothing of spending $20 for a set of strings, but panic at the thought of more than $5 for a pick. But again, it's a matter of personal preference.

User Info Menu

Jazz Guitar Pick-wedgie-medium-jpg

Wedgie 3.1mm Medium, One Pick

Just received this. Seems a little tacky on the strings but very effective in eliminating sharpness in the attack of the notes and achieving some compression. Anyone tried?

User Info Menu

I ordered a second Blue Chip, this one is the “Large Jazz” shape (close to the shape of a 351) in a BC60 which translates to almost a 1.5mm. I have found it better for all around use and can even get pick harmonics more easily than with the smaller jazz BC50.
    So my list is now: Fender 351 medium and 358 heavy both in celluloid, the BC60 for jazz and sometimes blues or rock, hybrid picking country styles. The BC50 is for jazz only because it is hard for me to pull out pick squeals with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    A gut feeling is telling me that there ought to be something like a rubber, or even a leather pick out there somewhere that would overcome this issue. Or is it just poor technique on my part?
    I recently discovered the Dunlop Ultex, which costs twice as much as the plastic picks in my local guitar shop: as much as NZ $2. But for that extra cost, you get a lot of tone.

User Info Menu

Just stumbled upon this thread and it has been illuminating. I was not aware how much the sound changes with the pick design and material.

So, with so much mention of the Jazz III, I bought a packet of mixed heavy Dunlop picks. A dozen of them to experiment with. Amongst them were some Jazz IIIs.

Jazz Guitar Pick-dsc_0045-jpg

The two in the middle were not labelled, but I presume the one on the left is carbon fibre, and the other is plain nylon (or delrin?). The extreme left is, as it says, Ultex, and the white one on the right is Tortex.

The softest sounding, and the one I think I like, is the nylon. The sharpest sounding is the carbon fibre.

There were many mentions of the Jazz III red. I didn't get one of these, but it's nylon right? So probably similar to the one I like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    Just stumbled upon this thread and it has been illuminating. I was not aware how much the sound changes with the pick design and material.

So, with so much mention of the Jazz III, I bought a packet of mixed heavy Dunlop picks. A dozen of them to experiment with. Amongst them were some Jazz IIIs.

Jazz Guitar Pick-dsc_0045-jpg

The two in the middle were not labelled, but I presume the one on the left is carbon fibre, and the other is plain nylon (or delrin?). The extreme left is, as it says, Ultex, and the white one on the right is Tortex.

The softest sounding, and the one I think I like, is the nylon. The sharpest sounding is the carbon fibre.

There were many mentions of the Jazz III red. I didn't get one of these, but it's nylon right? So probably similar to the one I like.
    I have quite a few Jazz IIIs in Ultex. I like their grip, but I blunt the tips to get the tone I want. The Jazz IIs in black are my default, and I scuff them up a tad, gently blunting the tips. When I first got my ES-175, I went through all my picks ( I have a LOT of picks) and the J IIs in black were the clear winner for Jazz tone. For me.

User Info Menu

I had a couple of Blue Chips. The tip wore off in very short order, and the sound changed dramatically. Not a fan. I’m using Dunlop Tortex .73, and they last forever, and sound great. I find things get very muffled with thicker picks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I have quite a few Jazz IIIs in Ultex. I like their grip, but I blunt the tips to get the tone I want. The Jazz IIs in black are my default, and I scuff them up a tad, gently blunting the tips.
    Maybe I need to try blunting them. I find I use them a little on the side rather than using the tip directly.

User Info Menu

Le rouge et le noir. I have a box of many plectrums, because variety is the spice of life, but Jazz II and III are very special.*

*One bottle of Samoan beer and I ramble like this to any passing thread.

User Info Menu

Red Jazz III XL, with the tip thinned a bit and then polished.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    Am I the only guy into rubber and wood?
    I love my Wood Tones ebony pick on nylon strings, but they wear too quickly on steel strings.
    Rubber? I was just thinking about that, how a pick made of very stiff rubber could give you the fat tone of wood but still have that bit of flexibility allowing faster playing, NOT get the little artefact sound when the pick hits the string and maybe also have some rosin aspect to its sound. Any suggestions who make them?