The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Are their companies that make string packs for 7-string guitars?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Broyale
    They seem to cater to the solid body light gauge metal crowd. I don't see Tomastik or D'Addario half round jazz gauge offered. I buy single heavy 7 strings and use a 6 set.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy101
    IMO, it's the opposite. Guitars should have fewer strings instead of more. 5 strings would be an improvement, 4 would be ever better ;-)

great, have at it. I am sure you can find a 4-string instrument that works for you. Mick Goodrick even speaks of "The Unitar" in his book as a way to challenge oneself to think of the notes in linear fashion. It's all good.
    I will say, when I am in a trio or band situation, I rarely use more than my top 4 strings, so the 5th, 6th and 7th are usually reserved for my solo fingerstyle playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    In the case of a few 7-string players, including one who's participated in this thread (Hi Mike!) there are no shortcomings in their guitar playing at all.
    thanks and hi Jim! Man, i just listen to George VE, Howard Alden, Jimmy Bruno, Ron Eschete, et al and the 7-string guitar sounds completely natural in their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by nosoyninja
    That's sick man! Amazing arrangement!
    thanks so much!

yes and no. If you choose to do that, you are limited to what is available. I usually buy a separate .080 or .081 string to add to my 6 string sets. Works just fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richb2
    What is the advantage of a 7 string guitar?
    If you learn how to actually use one, it transforms you into a being with superhuman powers.

User Info Menu

Less positional movement.

My 7 string guitars have nearly 3 octaves in each position, so I don't need to move positions as much as playing my 6 string.

I've been playing 7 strings with a high treble string for about 5 years. (30 years noodling on a 6 string)
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 12-15-2014 at 01:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Didn't Lenny Breau play 7 with a high treble string? I've got the Talmage Farlow DVD somewhere with those two jamming on the deck and in a club-incredible music from two masters, now sadly both passed.

User Info Menu

Only towards the end of his career

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Short answer-more options for walking bass lines, more options for chord voicing, tones in the lower register that aren't possible on the 6. Most players tune the 7th string to A, however some players tune B. Think about the lowest Eb that you have available on the 6 string standard tuning- 5th string 6th fret. Now with a seven you have the opportunity to get a Eb an octive lower by simply moving your finger to the 7th string on the same fret-if you are using the 7th string tuned to A.
    Since many jazz tunes are in Eb, it adds a dimension that is beautiful and is another option in your palette.
    If the low note is B, what kind of string is used? Are there producers that provide this kind of thing?

Update - sorry, I saw this was answered already above...

Update 2: So who are the main guitar makers in this field?
    Last edited by Phil in London; 12-16-2014 at 03:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in London
    If the low note is B, what kind of string is used? Are there producers that provide this kind of thing?

In my experience, the best string for the low note is a GHS Compound Nickel. It has a unique construction that allows it to maintain pitch with a smaller diameter which in turn improves intonation at the bottom of the fingerboard.

The low B tuning is used primarily by rock players. The more common tuning among jazz players is a low A as pioneered by George Van Eps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    In my experience, the best string for the low note is a GHS Compound Nickel. It has a unique construction that allows it to maintain pitch with a smaller diameter which in turn improves intonation at the bottom of the fingerboard.

The low B tuning is used primarily by rock players. The more common tuning among jazz players is a low A as pioneered by George Van Eps.
    Hey thanks for that string tip! By the way, I use low B and increasingly, students and players with a contemporary melodic/harmony approach to the fingerboard (voice leading, bass lines with broken swing feel, dialogue using bass line as counter line voice...) find the low B to be more conducive. But that's just in my weird little corner of the guitar world. Low A has been a well precidented tradition. Nice rule of jazz: do what you need to get the job done. Guess I can hang with the rockers now!
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in London

Many players opt to purchase a inexpensive solid body 7 string before making the plunge to a pro grade 7. There are several options for inexpensive 7's from Epiphone, Shecter and other imports. That was the route I took and I purchased a SG style 7 Epiphone for about 200 bucks. After I decided I wanted to pursue 7 I bought a Ibanez AF207, which was a nice guitar, however I found the string spacing a bit narrow after a while. I sold it and bought a Eastman 805 7. I would say Eastman offers some really excellent options in a 7 without breaking the bank.
    Some other great alternatives in a 7 are from Unger,Foster, Palen (the instrument being played masterfully by MikeSF posted here) and Benedetto at the high end. One true thing-as you get into the market for higher end 7 archtops you may notice that they don't sell as quickly as it's a narrow niche.
    Vendor archtop.com (Joe) usually has a 7 or two on the market.If I hadn't raided the kitty and then some for my Benedetto Cremona this year (no regrets there) this would probably be in my music room.2001 Dale Unger American Dream 7 String

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Hey thanks for that string tip! By the way, I use low B and increasingly, students and players with a contemporary melodic/harmony approach to the fingerboard (voice leading, bass lines with broken swing feel, dialogue using bass line as counter line voice...) find the low B to be more conducive. But that's just in my weird little corner of the guitar world. Low A has been a well precidented tradition. Nice rule of jazz: do what you need to get the job done. Guess I can hang with the rockers now!
    David
    Absolutely use what works for you. I'm a great believer in the concept of the guitar as a tool, so if low B gives you the best tool for your job then it's the right tuning for you. And lots of rockers have lots of good ideas. It was hanging out with 7-string rock players that I found out about the GHS Nickel Compounds for the low string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Many players opt to purchase a inexpensive solid body 7 string before making the plunge to a pro grade 7.
    7 string Agile Tele?

Agile T-725 MN 3TS Texan 7 String - RondoMusic.com

User Info Menu

in addition to the Ibanez, Epi, Agile, etc option, many custom archtop builders routinely make 7-strings, so best to investigate. I spent a year researching luthiers, going to luthier shows, calling them on the phone, etc before ordering a custom instrument. My information is now out of date since I am no longer shopping (GAS is long quenched if you can believe that), but here are a few names to get you started:

Benedetto (several standard and custom models available in 7 string). I personally own and have owned a few of these and they are amazing and are the premium product, IMO.

Palen (sold through Guitars n' Jazz, NJ) - I love the 7-string he built for me and the overall experience was excellent.

Ribbecke - He builds many 7's and they are works of art and sound fantastic.

Unger - laminate and carved 7's. I had the American Dream 7 for many years and liked it.

Michael Lewis - fantastic builder and he gets really creative with multi-string instruments.

Victor Baker - really like the few i have seen in person.

Manzer - she built PM's 42-string Pikasso, 7 is easy, lol

Our own Jim Soloway has made countless solid body and chambered 7-strings, and really understands scale length and great tone. Not building new anymore but they are out there if you can pry them from their owners' hands, lol.

Eastman has a bunch of 7-string options and is an affordable option.

again...just a start and in no way meant to be comprehensive.

good luck.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    David
    Having almost discarded mine, I've decided to embrace the 7-string guitar. Low B tuning, and fingerstyle; the palette broadens...

When I pick up the 7-string, I'm going to just study songs and play. I won't think about how many strings there are; I'll look at the notes on the page instead - and not look down at all.
    Last edited by destinytot; 01-07-2015 at 06:28 PM.

User Info Menu

D'Addario Strings : XL Chromes Flat Wound : ECG24-7 Chromes Flat Wound, 7-String, Jazz Light, 11-65

D'Addario Strings offer a ready made set of Chrome flats for 7 string but the gauges are 11-65. I've tried them on an AF-207 and the .065 for the low A is unplayable. Far too slack to play in tune. Thankfully the same company also offer single chromes at .075 and .080 which are more in the ball park.

On the subject of buyers first 7 string models, Ibanez have had this in their range for some time now. It looks attractive and has a 25" scale length, although I'm sure some Jazz players might want a rapid pick-up change.

Electric Guitars ARZ - ARZIR27FB Iron Label | Ibanez guitars

User Info Menu

Personally I think they're a bit of a novelty. Don't get me wrong, they do have their place, but it's far too easy to get tricked by seven string guitar guides or phoney recommendations then end up with one that is poor quality.

I got an cheaper Ibanez 7 string for about $400 and it really wasn't worth it in my opinion. But, they're good for jazz players to experiment with rolling bass lines, and also come in handy for live looping as you can use the lower B as a bass.

User Info Menu

And if any of you have a large tax refund coming, I still have this up at Reverb. Lowered price to:
    New Price! 18 " Benedetto "Custom 7 String" | Reverb

User Info Menu

If you break a string you still have 6 left.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    If you break a string you still have 6 left.
    If you were Tiny Grimes, you'd have two to three spares, consider 6 strings a novelty and a gimmick and you'd still outplay most players any day.
    David