The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 142

User Info Menu

I didn't get a chance to try it but saw GB last night in montreal. Sounded ok, when he dug in it really broke up but not in that that nice tubey way (which makes me wonder if a) the speaker was breaking up or if b) the input on the board was overloaded.

He was playing a GB10.. woody tone. Looked like a Mahogany neck ? I have never payed attention before but the one I AM familiar with was like a laminated maple (but that was 20 years ago so memory is sketchy).

He had those GB picks. I wanted to ask the roadies how I can get one but someone else was there and they blew him off (didn't hear the conversation) but the picks were ripped out of the mic stand and thrown back with the second guitarists amp.

(BTW it was a greatest hits show... mostly soul/funk/ladies music (the woman next to me had tears at one point). He did do some of his singing/improve but nothing from the Cookbook lol. Anyway, second guitarist was playing something lespaulish (but definitely not a les paul.. reminded me of a Yamaha actually) through what looked like an AC30. Don't know what vintage but guessing if you are playing with GB he will want you to user something more reliable than a real vintage AC30 .. good (processed) backup vocals and seemed like a competent player but aside from the drummer and the keyboard player he doesn't really give the spotlight up easily.

Good show.. glad I went..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Guys,
    Being a mega fan of GB, I just bought one. Extremely nice amp. In addition to the Cosmetics, its amazing how responsive this amp is. And Loud! Oh My goodness. The last 40 watt amp I had was a 50's Fender Vibrolux around 40 years ago and I could NEVER crank that amp even at room volume without it breaking up and distorting. This amp stays clean and Loud to about 6.
    After I stopped playing out a couple of years ago, I started playing through various amp simulators and a Galien Kruger Stereo head and studio monitors. Its amazing how much I've missed about the way my guitars REALLY sound. This amp showcases how each one of my guitars sound. I can tell the difference between the 165 and the 175 through it and my L5 is bigger, fuller, and deeper.

I am impressed. Great amp. Anyone have anything to add?

Thanks,
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

I got one in the summer and enjoy it a lot. With the changes brought in the III version, the overdrive channel is usable too. I have even used the "power amp in" input for modeling applications. It gets very loud for me also. The weight is a carriable 43 lbs. but if it becomes a problem, I am planning to change the speaker with a neo to shave off another 4-5 pounds. Somebody here described it as an approximation of a "half-twin". I am glad it replaced my Blues Junior.

User Info Menu

I got one about a year ago, great amp!

User Info Menu

Tried a beautiful Gibson L4 CES through the GB amp, and I stayed at the store from 8 'til midnight! My dad and I jammed, me on the L4, and him on a hollow LP for 4 hours straight.

User Info Menu

I have one too, just use it for playing at the house of course. I like it just fine and it looks better than my 3 other Fender amps. I play quietly so it's difficult for me to provide gig-worthy advice.

User Info Menu

Funny thing is, the amp has actually taught me a little about what my guitars are supposed to sound like. It just amplifies the sound of the guitar. It has made me realize that my amp simulators need to be tweaked. I look forward to exploring with it. Its a great toy.

JD

User Info Menu

I've been talking about getting another tube amp for awhile now and just ordered a Benson amp, it should be here Friday. The store I used to by from in L.A. recommend it for it having the power and light(er) weight I was looking for. Then reading this thread and getting a GC discount coupon I decided to stop talking about tube amp and get another. Plus Winter is coming and I need something to warm-up my apartment. <grin>

User Info Menu

No experience with the GB_amp, but after hearing so many positive things about it, I fitted my Blues Deluxe with a 12AT7 tube in V1 and a Jensen C12K speaker (I had that laying around, don't ask me why.... ;-).

I liked that so much and experienced some more with different tube-types and ended up liking a 12AY7 in V1, a 12AX7 in V2 and a 12AT7 in V3 best! Feels like I have a whole new amp!

The solid pine cab is a very nice addition and I am curious how much that adds in terms of sound (saving weight is a great benefit too!), opinions about that vary a lot.

User Info Menu

12AY7s are a good choice for a more '50s-like Fender tone. Also good in the phase inverter position.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    No experience with the GB_amp, but after hearing so many positive things about it, I fitted my Blues Deluxe with a 12AT7 tube in V1 and a Jensen C12K speaker (I had that laying around, don't ask me why.... ;-).

I liked that so much and experienced some more with different tube-types and ended up liking a 12AY7 in V1, a 12AX7 in V2 and a 12AT7 in V3 best! Feels like I have a whole new amp!

The solid pine cab is a very nice addition and I am curious how much that adds in terms of sound (saving weight is a great benefit too!), opinions about that vary a lot.
    Have you tried a 5751 in v1? I'm a big fan of them in fender tube amps. Slightly less gain than a 12ax7 but slightly more than a 12at7 and closer to a 12ax7 in structure I believe. Bob Devos uses them as his v1 in his fender tube amps and I love his tone.

User Info Menu

Just did that mod on my Fender Blues Deluxe. Jensen C12K speaker, NOS 5751 in V1 & a matched 12AT7 in V3.
    Sounds Glorious. Got the amp on sale a couple months ago for $647 and the Jensen on sale for $88.00 so came in far under the price of a Bensen. Only difference is it would be nice to have the lighter cabinet but the trade off is the cool tweed look of the Blues Deluxe. Lots of people don't like the new Italian made Jensens but I think they sound great. I have a Fender Hot Rod amp with a Italian Jensen P12 Alnico in it and it sounds wonderful too but very different from the C12. Your talking 50's sound & 60's sound.

User Info Menu

I'm going to buy a normal hot rod III, not a gb because it is not available at the local store: do you think there are great difference between them?
    i play a 335 and an L5 (it is for sale right now);
    mostly clean and sometime an overdrive.
    am I doing the right choice?

User Info Menu

Only difference is the GB has a solid pine cab, Jensen C12k speaker, and a 12AT7 in V1. The Jensen makes the biggest difference in sound between the 2.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    ...and a 12AT7 in V1.
    This is the way I tamed the beast (my HRD) so I could play it in my living room above 1 on the volume dial and not rattle the windows. It's a great amp. I'll probably swap the V3 position tube as well for an AY or AT, as discussed above. Prior to this, I used a Weber 100 attenuator that I picked up at a local guitar show last year. Now I don't need it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gianluca
    I'm going to buy a normal hot rod III, not a gb because it is not available at the local store: do you think there are great difference between them?
    i play a 335 and an L5 (it is for sale right now);
    mostly clean and sometime an overdrive.
    am I doing the right choice?
    Except for the pine cabinet you can make all the changes yourself. I was thinking of just getting the Hot Rod III but with the discount I got it made the GB about the same price. Plus I'm getting older so the lighter weight of the pine cabinet was important to me.

Thanks all to the tube info keeping that for future reference.

User Info Menu

The regular Hot rod must be really heavy because this amp is no lightweight.

As for the 50's vibrolux, I always thought it was 40 watts. Everything is always bigger when you are a kid.

The GB Amp is really a nice amp. I wish I had it when I was playing out.

Thanks, JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    The regular Hot rod must be really heavy because this amp is no lightweight.

As for the 50's vibrolux, I always thought it was 40 watts. Everything is always bigger when you are a kid.

The GB Amp is really a nice amp. I wish I had it when I was playing out.

Thanks, JD
    45 pounds. The Benson is only a couple pounds lighter. I might try putting a Neo speaker in and drop the weight a few more pounds, but may just opt to get a piece of plywood, some wheels, and a couple straps and make dolly to move it around on.

User Info Menu

I believe any amp over 45 lbs should come from the factory with removable wheels. Bought a new Musicman 65w 212 in 1977 that is very heavy but came with very high quality ball bearing wheels. Once you get it on the ground you can move it with one finger and it will turn on a dime. The wheels snap in and out of the bottom like a guitar cable jack.

User Info Menu

BTW got to see Kenny Burrell several weeks back and he was using the GB amp instead of his usual Fender Twin. 83 years old and still gigging. He is amazing still and the GB tone he was getting was superb.

User Info Menu

The GB arrived today and just got home and spend a little time with it, it's going to take some time to get a feel for the controls. Definately has that Fender high end, lots of bass if I want it, and like the presence control. Reverb okay not as over sensitive as the DRRI I had, but still 3 is a lot of reverb. Came with a okay cover, my DRRI the cover was extra. Played for a couple minutes with the overdrive channel and it extra drive button. Second channel seem like I should be able to dial in a good blue sound, don't know about the added drive button that got muddy.

So happy with my decision now have to figure out where to put it, my little apartment done run out of room.

User Info Menu

Docbop - I am glad you like the Amp. I had a tough time warming up to the reverb. I've been using a Zoom G3 and the hall reverb is heavenly esp when you add a touch of delay. I don't miss it all now. The sound so pure and responsive. Its a classy amp and I am glad that other people find it to be nice too.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    The GB arrived today and just got home and spend a little time with it, it's going to take some time to get a feel for the controls. Definately has that Fender high end, lots of bass if I want it, and like the presence control. Reverb okay not as over sensitive as the DRRI I had, but still 3 is a lot of reverb. Came with a okay cover, my DRRI the cover was extra. Played for a couple minutes with the overdrive channel and it extra drive button. Second channel seem like I should be able to dial in a good blue sound, don't know about the added drive button that got muddy.

So happy with my decision now have to figure out where to put it, my little apartment done run out of room.

User Info Menu

Try a ECC832 / 12DW7 tube in V2 to tame your overdrive channels.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Only difference is the GB has a solid pine cab, Jensen C12k speaker, and a 12AT7 in V1. The Jensen makes the biggest difference in sound between the 2.
    so, you say the GB is all the way better than the Hot rod?
    I can't do an A/B comparation so I have to trust the forum's opinion.
    reading some threads here, it seems the GB has a warmer clean than the HR.
    but what do you think about the drive?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    Have you tried a 5751 in v1? I'm a big fan of them in fender tube amps. Slightly less gain than a 12ax7 but slightly more than a 12at7 and closer to a 12ax7 in structure I believe. Bob Devos uses them as his v1 in his fender tube amps and I love his tone.
    Yes I did try a 5751 (a have a couple of nice RCAs laying around) and although very pleasing, I liked the more drastic change of the 12AY7 in V1 better for the Blues Deluxe (now I can play with the volume on 6-7 instead of 2-3).

I put the 5751s in in V1 and V2 of my Twin Reverb and love 'm in there indeed!